Re: Bird Identification

All topics and discussions with reference to birds in all SANParks
VicRob

Bird Identification Apps.

Unread post by VicRob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

[reposting in correct forum hopefully!]

Hi all

Sorry if this has already been asked.

We are soon heading to Kruger for the third time from Australia and wondered if anyone knows of any decent IPad apps that allows us to identify the birds we see in the park.

Have had the Sasol app recommended but looking at the reviews it seems it is not primarily for
ID purposes if you are novices like us, plus at around $30 would want to be sure it is Ok.
We have learnt quite a few birds from rangers and also from the net on our return, but for example last time we took some beautiful photos of a Martial eagle but had no idea what its name was till we got home and looked it up.

It is not essential to our trip but would be really nice to know as we go along.
We do not want to take books, one of the main reasons we are taking Ipad is to save all that weight.

Thanks
Vicrob
Spending more time in the best place on earth......Kruger[/color]

Biyamiti - 31-07-16
Skukuza - 02-08-16
Talamati - 05-08-16
Letaba - 07-08-16
Shingwedzi - 08-08-16
Satara - 11-08-16
Crocodile Bridge - 15-08-16
KwaZulu-Natal - 18-08-16
Home - 26-08-16

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

That's when the bird books and apps come in.
One advantage the Sasol app has is that it gives you the sound of the bird, which is useful.

The app also makes it easy to do searches based on area, size of bird, bill shape etc. which also helps to narrow down the options.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

mel123
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by mel123 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 pm

I have the Sasol app and it is quite useful, especially out in the field. I haven't been sorry that I bought it. I wouldn't use it as my only reference though. :hmz:
Unfortunately I haven't found any other apps that could work. I have looked around.
I do keep track of my bird lists on the Sasol eguide, which is simply brilliant and the sounds are very useful. :clap:
It also has a search function which I use when trying to do extremenly difficult ID challenges here on the forum. :twisted: If I can see the bird has yellow, but I have no clue what it is, I can do a search on all birds featuring yellow, and even narrow it down with other criteria such as size, bill and so on.
If I don't have my books with me, I can now check an ID in the field, and then later confirm or refine using my books when I'm at home. I also take photos and notes to help my memory afterward. So, it works well for me.
Hope that helps?

PygmyFalcon

Ipad2 - Roberts VII or Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa?

Unread post by PygmyFalcon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 pm

:hmz:
Hi!

We really want to purchase a bird guide for our IPad, but unsure which one to get. Sasol or Roberts. The reviews in the app store aren't very helpful, therefore We decided to ask our fellow forum members!

:think:

Looking forward to any advise!
Tons of Love
PygmyF

Dynamite does come in small packages!
Missing the Kruger...

December can't come fast enough!

huntsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Ipad2 - Roberts VII or Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa?

Unread post by huntsman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Ja Nee...

I have the Sasol, and I think for the price I paid (financially) it is perfectly adequate.

However, for the price I paid (in man-hours!) it is way short of the mark.

I recently spent some 30 hours over a week's trip in the bush to organise and record my life list, taking the data from several sources, usually having to look up the new names, before transcribing them into the 'My List' feature. This inordinate amount of time was mostly due to my record keeping being less than satisfactory, but Sasol chosing to ignore Predictive Text in this day and age is ridiculous. As birders, we visit and revisit the same sites, and having to type Wakkerstroom in 47 times is annoying.

Worse by far, is the fact that you can export your 'My List' via email with ease, but if you should ever need to Import said list...look out! My iTunes recently collapsed and on re-installing, Sasol had disappeared. Entirely.

I downloaded it again, and voila, there it was, sans 'My List's info. Try as I might I could find no way to re-import the list I had exported just days before.

I will not bother to capture this data again.

I would love to get Roberts, but the fact that they charge you for an iPhone dl, and then again for an iPad dl sticks in my throat.
A bird in the hand...belongs in the bush!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

PygmyFalcon

Unread post by PygmyFalcon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Tons of Love
PygmyF

Missing the Kruger...

simonbee

Unread post by simonbee » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 am

i have been using roberts for years on my pc. the upgrade to vii was fantastic, am very happy with it. have installed it onto my android tablet. a few bird calls are missing but overall it seems to be an excellent copy of the pc version

PygmyFalcon

Unread post by PygmyFalcon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks guys!

Really difficult to make the choice now. My late father always believed in roberts and i have one of the original pc programs and i still use it.

Ive downloaded the esasol lite one, just to get a feel for it...
Tons of Love
PygmyF

Missing the Kruger...

Super Mongoose
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Super Mongoose » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:43 pm

There is another thread names Sasol eBirds I think, with some more "opinions" about the sasol e-birds.

I have the full version on my i-pad and almost chucked it out the "window" a couple of times, but with time and fellow mite Huntsman's help, I'm happy with it now.

I know I will buy the Roberts sooner rather than later, just to have all I suppose.....
Stop the MADNESS or Imagine RhiNOs!
Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!
Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi PygmyFalcom!

There is a whole discussion on this here:

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=46&t=67788
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

Super Mongoose
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Super Mongoose » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I bought the Robert VII multimedia for my I-pad :dance: :dance: and I just LOVE it!

I got the Sasol e-birds about a year ago when I started birding and was quite happy with that, but I always grabbed the Complete Photographic Guide too, since it's much easier to make an ID with photos. Then I will grab the Roberts Nests and Eggs book and sometimes the Roberts Variations book...........

Now every thing is in one! The Roberts have the all original artwork and up to 5/6 photos of each and every bird with their nests and eggs. Also their calls from different recordings and big distribution maps. The information covers every aspect of the bird from breeding to conservation, also features "My location", birding sites and I love the ID option choices.

The lists have still have to figure out on the Roberts and is not working for me yet, so my lists are still on the Sasol.

If you have not bought Sasol e-birds or the Roberts VII yet, I would recommend the following:
For serious birding the Roberts VII is a MUST at just less than R600-00, almost 1 gig to download and took all night. For casual birding the Sasol e-birds will do the thing just fine at about less than half the price of the Roberts.

I'm happy that I have both, but the Robert VII is my new favorite thing ever!
Stop the MADNESS or Imagine RhiNOs!
Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!
Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Return to “Birding in SANParks”