Skip to Content

Pytilia: Orange-winged

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
pantera leo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pytilia: Orange-winged

Unread post by pantera leo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Found this pair of Orange-winged Pytilia's on the Confluence loop just south of the Shingwedzi high water bridge in December.

Male and female

Male

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Pytilia: Orange-winged

Unread post by johanrebel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 pm

That's a great sighting.

I've only ever seen orange-winged at Mashisiti spring way up in the north. I know they are also seen from time to time at Pafuri Camp.

Johan

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:11 am

Pantera leo - magnificent !
Was that taken with a long lens ?
I have not been so fortunate as to be able to see these beauties properly , they fly away at the slightest movement , I assume you were watching something else in silence or plainly enjoying the ambience when they emerged ?
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

pantera leo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by pantera leo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Ndloti, it was taken with a 55-200 lens.
We were driving slowly along the confluence loop just south of the Shingwedzi bridge. We then stopped because I thought they were Green-winged Pytilias. They sat in a tree just off the road, after checking and checking again I realised they were Orange-winged after a minor heart attack. They then proceeded to move down into the road a few meters in front of us. Feeding in and between the grass next to the road. We saw them on two consecutive afternoons in exactly the same spot.

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Wonderful sighting :dance: :dance:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am

Anyone finding themselves near or around Punda Maria should check out the north eastern corner of the camp swimming pool enclosure. A leaky water supply line is a favourite drinking spot for a whole host of small birds, including a few orange-winged pytilia Pytilia afra. The time of day does not matter. All you need is a little patience and you are sure to find a few pytilia popping in for a drink!

Of course, the golden hour of the early morning is best for getting good photographs and then you’ll also find them at the artificial fountain feeding the pool. They are not shy and you can get within 5m of them at these watering points!

Lifer #728! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Orange-winged Pytilia are residents of forest edges, miombo woodland and moist wooded grasslands where it forages on bare patches on the ground in pairs or small groups, mostly feeding on small seeds and insects. In Punda this habitat is replicated by the swimming pool lawn ending abruptly against dense vegetation.

Although this colourful finch has a widespread occurrence in Africa, it is considered to be uncommon throughout its range. In South Africa it tends to be rare and occasional sightings of this pytilia have been confined to the Limpopo province.

Their breeding season is in the late summer months of February and March.

A word of caution: quite a few green-winged pytilia also frequent this site. Orange-winged pytilia is a smaller bird with a shorter tail. The red ear coverts of the male are diagnostic. Other subtle differences between the male OWP and GWP are: hind crown olive (not grey), wings orange (not olive green), underparts barred olive and white (not grey and white). The female OWP has orange wings and less prominent barring on its underparts. (See female OWP image below)

728 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel, Orange-winged pytilia.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks for the beautiful pictures Johan! :clap: :clap:
"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light". Aristotle Onassis.

Ladybirder
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ladybirder » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Stunning shots Johan And a fabulous sighting :mrgreen: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”