Skip to Content

Kingfishers

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Bart47

Kingfishers

Unread post by Bart47 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello i am a nature photographer from the Netherlands (amateur) and i love kingfishers.
We have only one species and that is the river kingfisher wich is a beautiful bird.

I am living in SA untill the end of july and in my days off i want to as much photographing as i can.
Last week i photographed the Pied Kingfisher in Pilanesberg but very high on my list is the Malachite Kingfisher. Iam living in Vaalpark
Can anyone tell me what a good place is to find the Malachite? Thanks

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kingfishers

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Welcome to the forums!

And I'm jealous of that photo! Where did you take that?

Malachite kingfishers are usually easily found at the low water bridge at Shingwedzi, but that may be a little out of your way.
Try Biyamiti weir, so far I'm on a 100% hitrate there. Due to the fact that in januari I was near but not there. The water was too high and fast flowing. Which is the real problem. They need clear, not too fast flowing water.
Lake Panic is another place fairly sure of getting them. In fact, that was the only place we saw the during our december/januari trip.
Rietvlei is also a good place to hunt for them.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks that was taken in the Netherlands in the summer and this was a young female.

I will go to Rietvlei this weekend but the Rietvlei close to Pretoria.
Is that the one you mean because there is another one in the south.
I also heard about Marievale and the Hadebe Hide i believe, will check that on sunday.
This country is a heaven for someone like me. Unbelievable.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 am

What a great photo Bart47 :clap: :clap:
Good luck with your malachite hunt. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
We saw plenty at Lake Panic near Skukuza camp in Kruger, but guess that's too far for you to go!! :shock:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 am

Great shot.
In general, I have found most Kingfishers to be reasonably common and not too hard to find. There's no reason why you can't see a Malachite in Pilanesberg, or any other nature reserve nearby. Even in parks in Jo'burg and Pretoria you may be able to spot one.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 am

Hi there Bart, try and get the Chamberlains Birding in Gauteng book from any bookstore and it will give you the best area's to find Kingfishers.

Borakalalo is a very good Kingfisher reserve with Woodlands, Malachite, Pied, Giant and Grey Headed Kingfishers there.

Marievale is really good for Malachite as well as Rietvlei.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 am

Good advice, DD. :thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Robbie A

Unread post by Robbie A » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 am

Marievale - Hadeda hide... there are some breeding birds Malachites here and I always find them there.. They will arrive, you just need patience.

This one was taken there...

Capture the light and expose it to the world..

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 am

You might also be able to find one at the Florence Bloom Bird Sanctuary in Delta Park in Jo'burg. Depending on where you're staying, it could be a great before- or after-work stop-over.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. I only saw the Malachite in Pilanesberg in a flash, waited for two hours and then left.
I have a very nice working roster wich means i will be 6 days on and 4 days off.
My next 4 days off will start friday and then i will go to Rietvlei for two days with a co-worker who is also off.
My plan is to go to Marievale and i was there before but couldn't find the Hadeda Hide.
I drove through Nigel and then at the left i saw the entrance and there was a parkinglot with some buildings left, right and in front of me. Probaly have to ask the guard at the gate.
I want to go to Marievale on sunday, will leave Vaalpark around quarter past 5.

After this 4 day-off my next one will start on monday so that is when i want to go to Kruger and stay 3 nights. A friend of mine likes to come over too and he is nuts about kingfishers ( he shows his pictures on several photoevents in the UK as a rep for Sony) and his number one wish is a Malachite and ofcourse others too. When he comes here i will take 2 days off so we have 6 days here.

I spent a whole summer photographing kingfishers in the Netherlands, found a spot 25 minutes from home and set a camouflagenet. There were two young kingfishers at that spot so that was great shooting. Image

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 am

I also used my videomode on the 7D the capture them on video. There were 3 other photographers sitting left and right of me, you can hear them....
Hope you like the video.

Robbie A

Unread post by Robbie A » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Is Gustav coming to South Africa? I must meet him? When is his trip planned? I will also email him!
Capture the light and expose it to the world..

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I skyped with him yesterday and tried to convince him to come in april and that will be nice.
If you want to help me convince him too maybe we can get him here.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Bart , if you have access to a boat there are a few locations along the river system near to Vaalpark where you will find malachite kf .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Maybe i can rent a boat or ask someone at work. I work as a consult-contractor for Sasol and they also gave me the Sasol guide to birding.

I would love to buy that Chamberlain guide to Birding Gauteng but i am not very familiar with the surroundings here yet (bin here for three weeks)
I know the Vaalmall in Vanderbijlpark. Is there a good bookstore nearby?

I have to search for the Hadeda Hide in Marievale this coming sunday. Will leave very early to get there on time.
Monday i am off too so my plan is to go to Rondebult close to Jo'burg.

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”