Skip to Content

LBJ ID - Interesting discussions

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: General question on Bird Books

Unread post by JenB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Right place and a very good question!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Which lark are you referring to JJ? What other sources have you consulted? This is a very good question as JenB has said. I have a very extensive collection of bird books and it will be interesting to compare them.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:06 pm

It is the 3rd bird in the "Birding School for ducklings" - which has pink legs. I may be totally wrong of course :roll:
but the one in my Sasol book has Yellow legs and the ones in "Bird Pics" and "Niall's" site both have pink legs?
I do not have any other Bird Books with me at the moment just the Sasol(3rd edition) and that pic/drawing has Yellow legs?

Hope I have not confused you - but I don't want to name the bird as it is part of a quiz?

Thanks
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Sparks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sparks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Jungle Junkie wrote:It is the 3rd bird in the "Birding School for ducklings" - which has pink legs. I may be totally wrong of course :roll:
but the one in my Sasol book has Yellow legs and the ones in "Bird Pics" and "Niall's" site both have pink legs?
I do not have any other Bird Books with me at the moment just the Sasol(3rd edition) and that pic/drawing has Yellow legs?

Hope I have not confused you - but I don't want to name the bird as it is part of a quiz?

Thanks

JJ this is exactly the response I was hoping for :dance:
I might have been a little bit naughty in not specifying that the bird was seen in the Mallelane region of Kruger :twisted: This might just have an influence on the id
The fact that you are looking at the smaller details like leg colour is half the battle won :thumbs_up:

Looking at the bright side is that after this session of the quiz you will never forget this brown feathered birdie again
Adventure is out there. Go find it

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 pm

And now I must go and check it all over again :twisted: :lol:

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Or I need new glasses (probably) or we are looking at two different birds :?

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks Sparks - since the bird I am looking at is the wrong answer in the quiz, I can name the one where the colour of the legs are different. :shock: I will start searching again :slap:

The Melodious Lark has YELLOW legs in my SASOL Book, but on "Bird Pics" & "Nialls" website the Melodious Lark has distinct PINK legs (not sure if it is the "light/time of day" that is responsible?) for such a difference in colour (YELLOW to PINK) :hmz:

JJ

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 am

That is a very good question JJ :wink:

My personal opinion is that you will find slight differences between books such as Sasol, Roberts and Newmans because you have, on certain species like larks, pipits and cisticola's, artists and writers own experience and interpretations on certain species..

If they felt that the legs to them looked more yellow than pinkish, then they will highlight that fact. I don't have my Sasol here now and would love to go have a look at it. In Roberts it is indicated as pink/fleshy colour and is also illustrated like this in the drawing and description.

Will go have a look at it tonight and see how Sasol shows it. :D

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

This is something that is raised many times especially when it comes to pipits especially, where people generally tend to rely on the pink/yellow aspect to differentiate between the various confusing species in this exceptional difficult family of birds.

Experts like Faansie Peacock actually advised people not too rely solely on this feature. Because blood flow to the limbs and bill can and will drastically alter the coloration of it.

Not only does blood flow alter the coloration, but so too does sunlight. A classic example of this can be seen with Indigobirds. We encountered many Indigobirds during the BBW up in Punda, 2 weekends ago and in a group of 10 people we never had a unanimous vote amongst us as to the identity of an Indigobird. The light and blood flow to the limbs altered the colour so much that the whole group of 10 birders had different opinions on the coloration and thus identity of the bird in question.

My advice to you is simple. Follow Faansie's advice and do not rely heavily on the yellow/pink colour differentiation. When it comes to light and dark colours it is a completely different story and one would then rely on that, but the pink/yellow scenario is not foolproof.

Hence the reason why books and other sources differ from each other when it comes to this issue.

Hopes this answers your question.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks for the Q, JJ. I've been wondering that for many years myself, and now we can hear from the experts. :thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Oh dear, I struggle with any bird book when it come to colour :hmz:

That's why I have:
Bushchickens
Little brown jobs
Big Brown jobs
Water birds
Birds at water
pesky pigeons

then there are my perenial favourite... the.. "I wish I had a bigger lens jobs".
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm

wildtuinman wrote: ...blood flow to the limbs and bill can and will drastically alter the coloration of it.

A classic example is African harrier-hawk... it can change the colour of its facial skin from yellow to bright pink in a matter of minutes, depending on the level of excitement... The same thing can be seen to some degree in humans, most spectacularly so in light-skinned / blonde people... Their skin colour can range from pale (in shock) to near purple (embarrassed or angry).

Always use as many features as possible to substantiate your ID-call (Facial pattern, giss, size, bill shape, distribution, habitat, sound/song/call, patterns and coloration in the plumage, specifically the primary flight feathers and retrices, even its habits - like tail-wagging, and colour of bare parts. Having the bird in the hand - like birdringers often have the privilege to do - allows exact measurements to be taken that conclusively will confirm an ID). Never base an ID call solely on the colour of the bare parts of a bird.
692 Latest lifers: Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross, Eurasian oystercatcher, Gull-billed tern, Black-bellied storm petrel, European storm petrel, Sooty falcon

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I always thought human's undergo a different experience when they get excited :twisted:

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks everyone for advice - It would be nice to have a whole lot of features to ID from, but the quiz only gives a photo :whistle:

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”