Skip to Content

Pel's Fishing Owl

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Caledonian35

Pel's Fishing Owl

Unread post by Caledonian35 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Good evening all.

I am travelling from Scotland for my second trip to the Kruger this November (I cant wait :dance: ). I am going with my fiance, dad and brother. My dad is a keen birder and would absolutely love to see the infamous Pel's Fishing Owl! Can anyone advise on any good spots for potential sightings of the Pel's please.

Top of my wish list are Leopard, Cheetah and Wild dog as I failed to see these on my last trip in November 2007.

Many thanks :D
Katy
Punda Maria 13-14 Nov 09
Bateleur 15 Nov 09
Olifants 16-17 Nov
Skukuza 18-19 Nov
De Hoop Nature Reserve 23-24 Nov

shivati

Re: Pel's Fishing Owl

Unread post by shivati » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi there, take look under: special interests_birds_index to birds_owl, pels fishing. Gives some infos on sightings esp pafuri and olifants regions.

Best of luck and have a great trip!

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Katy, welcome to the forum.

Good luck, very rare sighting indeed.

However, there are a few forumites who have had the privilege to see one. One of the main areas for them used to be along the Olifants River, although numbers seem to have declined recently. Olifants camp do a River Walk in the morning so booking on that, if possible, would increase your chances.

Another area is along the Luvuvhu River and I was very privileged to see one last Dec. This was at Pafuri Picnic site in the very north of the park and Frank, the site attendant and Bird Guide, had been woken up by a pair calling in the early hours of the morning. As soon as it was light he scoured the area looking for them. The bottom half was visible half way up a tree, across the river. We were the first people at the picnic site that morning and were met by a very excited Frank who couldn't wait to show it off. Every visitor to the picnic site that morning was shown the special sighting. I later learnt that it was visible for most of the morning until frightened off by a troop of baboons.

Also have a look in this thread for more information.

I asked Frank how often he came across them and he said maybe 6 or 7 times a year, so I wish you and your father the best of luck. I know that it was probably a once in a life time experience for me and one I will never forget.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

UKWAZI

Unread post by UKWAZI » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Katy

There is a breeding pair of Pell's on the road between Balule and Olifants just before the open plain (Guineyfowl turn) where the road turns away from the river towards Olifants. They are nesting on the other side of the river on a island but we "often" (as often as you can see Pel's Fishing Owl, it's still the luck of the draw) see them in the thickets next to the road. Your best bet will be to request a walk along the river from Balule through the Olifants guides, if you ask VERY nicely they usually have no problem taking guest there to look for the owls.

Good Luck!!!
To be or not to be, that is the question...I am and I want to be!!!

Caledonian35

Unread post by Caledonian35 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks very much for all your advice. It is my fiance's birthday when we are in Olifants and had been hoping to do a morning walk for his birthday so hopefully we can arrange to look for the owls.

My dad met Frank about 4/5 years ago and is keen to meet him again so I will keep my fingers crossed that he can magic up a Pels for us!

Thanks again - 62 days to go!! :D
Katy
Punda Maria 13-14 Nov 09
Bateleur 15 Nov 09
Olifants 16-17 Nov
Skukuza 18-19 Nov
De Hoop Nature Reserve 23-24 Nov

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”