Second Lark-like Bunting Also streaked crown, well marked back facial markings
Third Southern Grey headed Sparrow have a white throat in non breeding

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread post by arks » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Many thanks hilda and LB :gflower:

I'd not thought of larklike bunting :redface: and I didn't know that the nonbreeding southern greyheaded sparrow has a white throat. Thanks for the help and useful information. That's what's so great about these ID threads, I learn new things here all the time :dance: and I follow the ID threads even when I'm not posting in them.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

roaneric
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie in birding and decided to make my first bird list. I went through all the bird pics I took the last 10 years and my list coming on nicely. I just have trouble ID some of the birds (either the pics are not that good or I can't seem to ID them correctly) so I need help please. Here is my LBJ pics I have trouble with

I changed the lightning and zoomed in so you can see better on some of the photos

Bird 1 Yellow-streaked greenbul??? (July, north krugerpark)
bIMG_4719.JPG

Bird 2 Ashy flycatcher?? July, south Krugerpark)
bP1010315.JPG

Bird 3 Kalahari scrub-robin?? (July, South Krugerpark)
bP1010419.JPG
bP1010424.JPG

Bird 4 Some kind of weaver? Maybe brown-throated weaver??? (May, Krugerpark)
bP1020590.JPG

Bird 5 no idea (Aug, krugerpark)
bP1140014.JPG
Last edited by roaneric on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Roaneric, could you please tell us where and when you saw each of these birds? ID is difficult to impossible without that essential time and place information.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 am

Dear roaneric,

My take on your birds are as follows:

1. Yellow-bellied Greenbul: Forehead to upper tail coverts olive green, slightly browner on crown, where feathers elongated into shaggy crest. Tail feathers, brown above, pale yellow below. Eyes brown, red-brown or bright red; eye ring white, broadest above eye.

2.Marico Flycatcher: Forehead, crown and nape uniform pale brown. Cheeks and lores pale ochre-brown. Underparts uniformly off-white, with faint buff wash. Flanks pale grey-brown. Bill black. Eyes dark brown.

3. Kalahari Scrub-robin: Supercilium whitish and broad; loral stripe black, extending as stripe behind eye. Ear coverts sandy brown. The tail is a giveaway with its chestnut-orange, rectrices with broad, blackish-brown subterminal bands and white tips

4. Cape Weaver: Upper parts dull olive-brown, crown and mantle with faint streaking. Tail olive-brown. Wings brown, coverts with narrow greenish-yellow edges. Chin and throat creamy, with yellowish wash.

5. House sparrow: Crown and nape grey, sides of nape and neck chestnut. Lores black, extending onto frons and behind eye as narrow eye stripe. Cheeks and small spot above and behind eye whitish. Mantle and back buffy brown, with blackish feather centres forming distinct rows of streaks.

roaneric
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you so much Barry. :gflower: That makes 3 new additions to my list. List is now at 146 :dance:
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 pm

barryels wrote:Dear roaneric,

My take on your birds are as follows:

1. Yellow-bellied Greenbul: Forehead to upper tail coverts olive green, slightly browner on crown, where feathers elongated into shaggy crest. Tail feathers, brown above, pale yellow below. Eyes brown, red-brown or bright red; eye ring white, broadest above eye.

2.Marico Flycatcher: Forehead, crown and nape uniform pale brown. Cheeks and lores pale ochre-brown. Underparts uniformly off-white, with faint buff wash. Flanks pale grey-brown. Bill black. Eyes dark brown.

3. Kalahari Scrub-robin: Supercilium whitish and broad; loral stripe black, extending as stripe behind eye. Ear coverts sandy brown. The tail is a giveaway with its chestnut-orange, rectrices with broad, blackish-brown subterminal bands and white tips

4. Cape Weaver: Upper parts dull olive-brown, crown and mantle with faint streaking. Tail olive-brown. Wings brown, coverts with narrow greenish-yellow edges. Chin and throat creamy, with yellowish wash.

5. House sparrow: Crown and nape grey, sides of nape and neck chestnut. Lores black, extending onto frons and behind eye as narrow eye stripe. Cheeks and small spot above and behind eye whitish. Mantle and back buffy brown, with blackish feather centres forming distinct rows of streaks.

Agree with most id's except the Weaver. The Blue/Grey legs rules out Cape Weaver and rather points to Lesser Masked Weaver.

May I add that the Kalahari Scrub-Robin is ONE HELLUVA good record for Kruger!! As far as I know it has never been recorded in Kruger before (I see some records in the far north in Pafuri on SABAP2)! And I checked now and never even close to Southern Kruger during SABAP2 at all! http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_info.php?spp=586

Where and when exactly did you see this bird, Roaneric?
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

roaneric
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:47 pm

wildtuinman wrote:May I add that the Kalahari Scrub-Robin is ONE HELLUVA good record for Kruger!! As far as I know it has never been recorded in Kruger before (I see some records in the far north in Pafuri on SABAP2)! And I checked now and never even close to Southern Kruger during SABAP2 at all! http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_info.php?spp=586

Where and when exactly did you see this bird, Roaneric?

I just looked it up quickly. The date and time on the photographs are as follows... " Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:37 AM". I made a mistake, sorry :redface: We were still in Pilanesberg that day. Only went towards Pretoriuskop in Kruger after that so the picture was taken in Pilanesberg national park. Sorry for that. :doh:

It is a very pretty bird. :D

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 am

No worries Roaneric. :thumbs_up:
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Saw this bird near Lower Sabie on Monday. What made me take notice was the tail - very dark in the middle and white outer feathers. Obviously it refused to show the tail when I pointed the camera.
It is a flycatcher - perhaps a Grey Tit-flycatcher?

IMG_0497xxxx.jpg

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 pm

One more - Ashy Flycatcher?
Skukuza on Sunday

IMG_9727xxxz.jpg

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:18 pm

The pix are of two different birds, Karin. The first and second IDs offered are both spot-on captions for each pic! :thumbs_up:
698 Latest lifers: Sooty falcon, American golden plover, Temminck's stint, Red-necked phalarope, Cape long-billed lark, Agulhas long-billed lark, Karoo eremomella

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:48 am

Great to see you here again Johan, and thank you! :clap: :clap:

Well done Karin! :dance: :dance:

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for confirming - the Grey Tit-flycatcher is a lifer - always nice to add another to the list! :dance:

Tdgraves

Unread post by Tdgraves » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm

All help gratefully received for this one, it has been bugging me ever since we saw it in KTP

thanks
Planning our KNP trip Jan 2017.....

KTP: Jan 2015, Sept 2016
KNP Jan 2013, Jan and Sept 2014, Jan 2016
Madikwe 2011

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”