Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Lark, Botha's

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 am

Botha's lark, Spizocorys fringillaris, is a South African endemic resident with a very restricted range centred on south Mpumalanga and the eastern Free State. This small lark has a habitat preference that is persistently under thread from agriculture. The well-grazed upland grasslands, mostly coincident with black clay soils support an estimated population of 1,500-5,000 individuals. During breeding, it seeks out short, dense, severely grazed natural grassland on plateaux and upper hill slopes.

I found this bird outside Wakkerstroom, one of the most dependable sites for this species.

685 2016 lifers: Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser, Rufous-tailed scrub robin, House crow, Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross

Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Lark, Botha's

Unread post by hilda » Fri May 13, 2016 5:52 am

I wish I knew more about Larks, and definitely need to do more birding to find them! There is a serious shortage of Larks on my current bird list. :hmz:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”