Re: How many birds on your list

Unread post by H. erectus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Can add two more.

Yellow-crowned Bishop

African Olive-Pigeon
(Rameron Pigeon)

Total now 57. New target
month end, make that 70.
It cannot be made more or less for that matter but it can be altered to suit.- The universe.

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 am

A good book to invest in is the Chamberlains Birding in Gauteng book available in most book stores. Once you are feeling more confident about your skills you should have a look at the vast birding areas in and around Gauteng. As long as you have a book like Roberts, Sasol or Newmans and a pair of binoculars you are ready to go.

I started out with a pair of 6 year old cheapy binoculars and a Sasol book. Those binoculars lasted me a good 2 years before heavy rain and trying to bird in the wet weather eventually rendered them useless.

Also one hint that I can pass along to you is to try and go out with other birders from your area as this is the best way to actually learn and gain experience as to quickly ID a bird, learn the basics of habitat, range, characteristics etc of birds.
I enjoyed birding on my own as you feel a sense of accomplishment when you Identified a bird on your own, but I can promise you that to go out with an experienced birder will really get your push your knowledge to a new level.

And never be afraid to ask.. I have asked some of THE dumbest questions to date.. believe me.. there are plenty of birders around that will tell you the same :lol: but that is how I learnt.

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 am

My total is now 228 - My Target for 2011 is 300 hope I get there by December :pray:
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

pantera leo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by pantera leo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 pm

New total 355! :dance: Year end total for 2011, 415. :pray:

H. erectus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by H. erectus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

DotDan wrote:And never be afraid to ask.. I have asked some of THE dumbest questions to date.. believe me.. there are plenty of birders around that will tell you the same but that is how I learnt.

Dear Dd, what on earth is a lifer? My track record goes for plus/minus 4.5 million years and so what?

How old am I allowed to get???
It cannot be made more or less for that matter but it can be altered to suit.- The universe.

rusky
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rusky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:55 am

HE - a lifer is a new bird for you (your list).
DD - some great advice.....I now need to find an experienced Melbourne Birder......yooohooo any one out there......
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
Rusky's Kruger Ramble Jun 08 - a 1st timers dream trip

Eugene123

Unread post by Eugene123 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am

Did some Karoobirding with Japie Claassen. VERY knowledgable and pleasant. Quite a different experience as the amount of birds in the Karoo are much less than elsewhere. Saw amongst others, Namaqua Warbler, Karoo and Yellow-bellied Eremomela, Karoo Korhaan, Cape penduline Tit, Layard Tit-babbler. On Swartbergpass we saw Victorin's Warbler, Orange Breasted Sunbird and Cape Grassbird.
Currently in Langebaan and we have seen Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Crowned and Cape Cormorants, Southern Black Korhaan and others. At Lamberts Bay we saw Sandwich Tern, Cape Gannet and Afr Penguin

Currently on 498, hoping to get to 500 as we are still to go to Velddrif and then Mokala for 2 days
Happy 2011 all!!
Last edited by Eugene123 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBW Pretoriuskop 22-26 Jan 2015

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 am

Eugene, you are seriously getting into the twitching thing! I am sure congrats will shortly be in order for that huge birding milestone of 500 SA birds! Good luck.
726 Latest lifers: Common whitethroat, Swamp boubou, Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon.

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 am

A Twitcher is an "official" birding term and refers to a birder that pursues birds following news of a rarity, often in his region, but sometimes he will spend large amounts of money and travel long distances at short notice in order to see a rarity or new bird. Twitchers are often listers that have reached a point in their listing careers where new ticks in their area of focus have become difficult because of the extent of their life list not leaving many birds still to encounter (a well-known personallity in birding circles, with a life list that stands at 903, went near on two years without a Southern African tick until the appearance of the Golden Pipit late last year - he travelled from CT to Pongola TWICE to see/photograph the bird). Due to a twitcher's focus on rare species, it is also he who often discovers new or rare species in the region.
726 Latest lifers: Common whitethroat, Swamp boubou, Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon.

TrevorC
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TrevorC » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Managed to pick up 3 lucky lifers as a New Year's surprise :D
This takes me up to 408 Year end target is 430

Lesser Honeyguide - Kyalami
Levaillant's Cuckoo - Seringveld
African Cuckoo Hawk - Seringveld
Latest Lifers: Northern Wheatear, Gull-billed Tern, Yellow-throated Sandgrouse, Dusky Lark

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imax » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Ferdelance please shove me up to 556 with a host of lifers and a twitch from across the country.

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:53 am

Imax wrote:

And now you will have to type as nice an explanation on what a lister is. :wink: :lol:

OK! Here goes:

A Lister is a birder that compiles a lifelist of all the birds he sees, often in a competitive way, setting targets for himself or "racing" other listers to a mutual target. The rules for these lists are mostly designed for the birder by himself with some birders only listing birds photographed; or only those seen with a partner, etc. Listing can become a compulsion. A birder suffering this affliction will start lists for his garden, his and even often-visited friends and family's home towns, Game parks, every province, etc.

I hope you now know what the compulsion that is driving you to the poorhouse is called, IMAX :twisted:

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Orange-breasted Sunbird, White-chinned Petrel, Bar-tailed Godwit and House Crow takes me 590.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”