Barbet, Green

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Barbet, Green

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Sat May 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Confined to Ongoye Forest, in northern KZN, the Green Barbet is unremarkable in so many ways. Over the years I visited Ongoye Forest I have dipped on seeing it often. The few times I managed to get a sighting the distant, brief encounter left me frustrated, never able to get a photograph of the drab little barbet with its monotonous squeaking call. What is extraordinary about this olive-green bird is the limited extent of its range in southern Africa; this 3900 ha forest is the only place it can be found.

The drive to Ongoye requires a high-clearance vehicle. If you plan to do any serious exploration of the forest in your vehicle, better do it with a 4x4, especially in the wet season.

I arrived at Ongoye just before noon, which is not the best time for taking photographs of birds, not that I had bargained on getting the opportunity, considering my previous experience. It was cloudless and when the barbet posed out in the open, I totally lost the challenge to tame the contrast of direct sunlight and shadows dished up by the harsh midday glare. I guess I’ll have to do Ongoye early morning the next time I plan to visit…

It is estimated that Ongoye forest holds 200 – 300 pairs of Green Barbet, that is one bird for five hectares of forest! No wonder they are so tough to find. :hmz:
727 Latest lifers: Swamp boubou, Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Barbet, Green

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 am

It is so great that you finally got your photo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”