Skip to Content

Ribbok/Rhebok trail Golden Gate

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Jonkers

Ribbok/Rhebok trail Golden Gate

Unread post by Jonkers » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am

Question from my daughter:

I see there is an older tread about the Ribbok/Rhebok trail in Golden Gate National Park. Has someone done the trail more recently than 2013?
After speaking to someone at Golden Gate on the phone, he assured me I don’t need to book the trail in advance as long as I have a booking for somewhere in the park, but on the Sanparks website they are adamant you pre-book as the number of beds at the overnight hut is limited (which makes sense). I’ve also tried emailing, but no response. We’re planning to stay in Glen Reenen Camp site for 3 nights and would like to do the trail on the middle night, so we could also just book the day we arrive, but given that it is a long-weekend I want to make sure as we’re coming from far.
Any comments/tips/suggestions from a recent experience would be welcome

Thanks
can't wait for June 2017 to start with Augrabies 24 2R 25+26 Nossob 27+28 MM 29+30 KK

Jonkers

Re: Ribbok/Rhebok trail Golden Gate

Unread post by Jonkers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm

On behalf of my daughter:

To answer my own question…
You can book in advance via central reservations or via Golden Gate (although every time we tried to do that, the system was down). I would advise you to book in advance, as it seems the trail and hut are often booked out by hiking clubs.

Just some extra info on the hut itself. It was in a good condition and clean (with toilet paper and the classic sanpark hand soap supplied), but we unfortunately had no water. A sanparks truck did deliver water to the empty yoyo tank at about 5 or 6 in the afternoon, but this only lasted for one or two toilet flushes – which isn’t a lot if you’re sharing the hut with 8 people.
However, the hut is close to a stream, so we were able to get water there. I’m sure it was drinkable as is, but we added purifying drops just in case. The rest of the group had little gas-stoves so they just boiled the water before drinking.
There are two toilets, one shower (donkey style – but there were upright loose bricks on the shower floor so don’t think it intended to be used) so we just freshened up in the stream again. There are three different rooms with bunk beds (for six people each – all 18 beds had matrasses) and a kitchen-room. The kitchen has a sink and a little furnace, which some tried to get going but didn’t really work.
There is a fire place outside (wood supplied), which is at a great height for braaiing but not really designed to spread warmth afterwards, so we all ended up snug in our sleeping bags at 7pm.

The trail is wonderful, although it’s easy to get lost on eland-highways that look like trails and markings aren’t always as clear – especially because the map from Sanparks isn’t that helpful.
I found this website handy: https://solitaryecology.com/golden-gate ... bok-trail/ especially if you have a gps watch or other electronic toy the KML file may be useful.
We didn’t, so ended up getting lost, but still enjoyed ourselves!
can't wait for June 2017 to start with Augrabies 24 2R 25+26 Nossob 27+28 MM 29+30 KK

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jonkers, sure it will be very useful for future reference. :clap:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am

pleasure Elsa

https://youtu.be/XyS1OmFEQNY

short video of the hut

Return to “Northern Parks”