Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread post by isinkwe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:20 am

anybody know if the road up to Mountain Retreat is Tar or Gravel,
Will I get up there on a Motor Cycle ? ( It is a Road bike, not an off road bike )
Thanks
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

BirgitJo

Unread post by BirgitJo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Hallo isinkwe,

if I remember correct, most of the road is gravel. At the steepest parts there are two lanes wich are tared or similar (hope you understand what I mean :) ).
I was there in September 2013 and at this time I would say it was possible with a normal motor bike.

Have a wonderful christmas time and all the best for 2016.

Birgit

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:12 pm

The road up to the chalets is now paved in two strips all the way.
Will post a pic asap. :thumbs_up:

Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Guinea Pig » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 am

isinkwe wrote:anybody know if the road up to Mountain Retreat is Tar or Gravel,
Will I get up there on a Motor Cycle ? ( It is a Road bike, not an off road bike )
Thanks

Paved/tarred combination all the way to the top. There is a very steep gradient just before reaching the Retreat but should be totally doable. I still remember meeting a guy RUNNING up to the retreat one time. :lol: Crazy...

Image_MG_9087 by Duco Quanjer, on Flickr

Image_MG_9422 by Duco Quanjer, on Flickr

The car in the top right of this picture? The Honda Ballade from yesteryear that we used... No problem.

Image_MG_9085 by Duco Quanjer, on Flickr
Always look on the bright side of life. - Monty Python

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Thank you all for your help
Getting up there on a motorcycle would have been no problem, however on Christmas Day when we due to go up to Mountain Retreat to meet and have a braai with Kaapsedraai it was raining.

Kaapsedraai very kindly drove back down to Glenn Reenen to fetch morecat and I , ( I would not have enjoyed going up there on a bike in the rain at all ) we had a super braai and a chat in the rain :D :D
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

holmesneg

Unread post by holmesneg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi, First time visitors from UK to Golden Gate. Thinking of staying at Basotho Cultural Village. Visited KNP a few times now and are trying GG to see if we can spot some different wildlife. Finding up to date info a bit harder to come by than for KNP! Where are the best spot for wildlife? Should we hike or drive? Can you spot wildlife from the main road or are the 2 loops better? Is it possible/advisable to drive the loops after dark to try to spot nocturnal wildlife? Are we right to avoid Glen Reenan rest camp (sounds noisy)? We're keen birders, is the vulture feeding still a thing? How many days should we allow in the park? We're thinking 2. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks, Nick.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Nick! Yes - these forums are much quieter than those on Kruger! Just look at how long it took for someone to finally come around to your question! :tongue:

We have been to Golden Gate a few times before and stayed at both Glen Reenen and Higlhlands Mountain Retreat. I have not been to the Basotho Cultural Village - but it looks great on paper. I would not spend more than 2 to 3 days at Golden Gate. It is a very scenic park - and I enjoy it more for that than for the wildlife. The vulture hide is still there and running, but the food or carcasses come from donations - so these are sporadic, and you may be lucky with lots of food and action or be unlucky with only old bones. Driving the loops is good for spotting game and birds. It s a national park, and like our other parks, and as far as I remember you are not allowed to drive the loops at night really. The main road is open throughout day and night. You can spot game and birds from here as well, but it is a main road through the park - one cannot stop for sightings or to take pictures in the middle of the road as traffic passes through it. Hikes are great and I would highly recommend taking at least one of the shorter walks in the park (for an hour or three). Glen Reenen is busier, but not bad in my opinion. I absolutely love the Highlands Mountain Retreat!

And I would definitely recommend a summer instead of a winter trip. My opinion...

Enjoy!
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:21 pm

We have only been to Golden Gate once. We were originally booked at the Basotho Village, but received a phone call (when we were passing through Harrismith!) to say that the camp was closed because a veld fire had wiped out all the electricity! We were given accommodation at the Glen Reenen Camp - very noisy from main road going through the camp and the unit we had had no view at all. We were transferred to a chalet at the hotel for the rest of our short stay - much better view, but more like a timeshare than a bush camp!! Thanks, though to all the staff who organised the move.

We did drive up to the Basotho Village to see what we had missed out on. It is very nice - with a lovely view down onto some plains (hopefully some plains game).

We saw the Mountain Retreat from a distance and I think that would be our first choice if we went back again.

Yes, I'm sure the loop roads are closed off at night, but well worth driving once or twice during the day.

We didn't do any walks, but they look great. You can also do pony trekking (I didn't because I ride almost every day at home "bus man's holiday"!)
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

LoxodontaRP

Unread post by LoxodontaRP » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi,

Travelling from UK and arriving Golden Gate early Oct 2016 (in Mokala first). Can anyone answer these questions (in the activities section of Park page): -
Oribi and Blesbok Loops say - Free to permit holders. How do we get permits?
Cathedral Cave Hike says Min 5 people and advance booking required. We are only two in our party. Is there another way to see Cathedral Cave, or alternative hike to the Cave, and how can we book?
Really want to know if we can do these on arrival at the park (Glen Reenan for 3nts and Mountain Retreat for 3 nts) or how to make arrangements in advance.
Thanks.
LoxodontaRP

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi LoxodontaRP

If you stay in the park, a permit will be issued to you upon arrival which will allow you access to those drives while you are staying in the park.

For info on the hikes, best to email the park with dates etc - see contact details here:- link
Sawubona
Dalene

LoxodontaRP

Unread post by LoxodontaRP » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have emailed for the hike info.
LoxodontaRP

Return to “Northern Parks”