Skip to Content

Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Maps on the website

Unread post by ndloti » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Glen Reenen & Brandwag are a few (+ - 2 ?) km apart , a tar road - the main road between Clarens and Phuthadijhba - connects them .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Click on it for a large version. To the right you can see the Brandwag hotel and chalets, on the left is Glen Reenen. This pano was taken from the route to the Echo Ravine.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

CuriousCanadian
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by CuriousCanadian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Beautiful shot DQ!!! :clap: The hills look like so much velvet....it was green velvet when we were there.... :wink:
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

nightjar

Re: Golden Gate: INFO

Unread post by nightjar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what kind of temperatures to expect day and night at Highlands Mountain Retreat in December? Does it rain a lot in Golden Gate at this time of year? :?

Boorgatspook

Unread post by Boorgatspook » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Nightjar, I haven't stayed at the Mountain Retreat yet, so can't tell you the temp at night but I think it would be a lot cooler than the day. Day temp can be anything between high twenties to low thirties.
Golden Gate falls in the sumer rainfall, and its weather can be very unpredictable, especially sudden thundershowers in the afternoons. If you planning on doing the day hiking trails in the afternoons, my advice will be to keep an eye on the weather.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:27 pm

I have seen photos taken of snowfalls in December in an adjacent areas , be prepared for the unexpected .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Imberbe

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread post by Imberbe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:36 am

Public transport in South Africa is very limited, especially in the rural areas. I think you will be much better off renting a vehicle and driving on your own. I would not suggest taking a minibus taxi.

A day trip to Golden Gate from Clarence is very possible. Why not stay in the park itself ... link

Expect cold, very cold weather and snow. Temperatures regularly plummet to below freezing. If you plan on hiking, you will have to take all safety precautions, and inform authorities ...

Reaching the Amphitheater is possible, but I would suggest that you rather book yourself accommodation nearer, than drive from Clarence and back. There are some excellent accommodation available in that area.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

YOBE

Glenn Reenen or Basotho

Unread post by YOBE » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Hello,
we (2 adults & 2 children) want to visit Golden Gate and are looking towards Glenn Reenen or Bosotho Rest Camp to spend te night. Does anybody has any experiance with them and can help us making a choise.
We will be there during winter-time, do you know if heating in a Rondavel is a problem?

Thanks,
Yobe

CuriousCanadian

Re: Glenn Reenen or Basotho

Unread post by CuriousCanadian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Yobe...Welcome!!! :D

We had a wonderful time in Glen Reenen In GGHNP...in March...don't know about heaters, tho....

See Here for some pics :D
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

Hi and welcome to the forums Yobe!

I have 2 questions, when do you plan to go, and how old are the children?
Glen Reenen does have more options for children , including a playground and walks.
And which season do you intend for your visit?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Darwin

Unread post by Darwin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:23 am

Hi YOBE

The Basotho CV is definitely something different but I agree Glen Reenen has more options for kids.

Winter in the mountains is very cold but Glen Reenen chalets are equipped for that with electric blankets on the beds and heaters. Some of the cottages have excellent fire places inside! I haven't stayed at Basotho yet so can't comment.

Another advantage of GR is it is close to the beautiful town of Clarence and if the weather does not allow hiking or outdoor activities a visit to the town is a must!

Cassius
Guru
Guru

GOLDEN GATE HOTEL

Unread post by Cassius » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

A spectacular sight awaits those who seek out Golden Gate Hotel, which was proclaimed in 1963. This paradise of sandstone cliffs is definitely a jewel of the Northern Free State, with its delightfully crafted landscapes and interesting range of roaming wildlife. Guests can experience anything from mild or hot summers to freezing winters sometimes snowy.

When it comes to accommodation, visitors can indeed have their pick of the finest choices not the least of which is the Golden Gate Hotel.

From the moment that you are welcomed at the Golden Gate Hotel You will know that you are about to experience unique scenery on vicinity.

Located in the heart of Golden Gate the hotel is surrounded is surrounded by the Majestic beauty of the Northern –Eastern Free State Landscape. The scenic grassland also home to numerous wildlife and bird species.

The experience of being accommodated at this luxurious hotel which doesn’t only provide ideal services and facilities to its guests, but also situated at the perfect location
Where you can experience wildlife first-hand

The Hotel is set to offer even a higher level of comfort and entertainment to its guest
An upgrade to the value of 30 million includes constructions and structural changes, as well as new furnishings and modern décor, conferencing and banqueting Venue, as well as a variety of indoor games and facilities for those who choose not to rough it in nature. It does not get any better than Relaxing at the cosy atmosphere pub with log fire during the freezing Free State winter.

Currently in the process of being revamped, the hotel is set to offer an even higher level of comfort and entertainment to its guest. The refurbished results will be a lighter and more modern design with a defined timeless elegance flowing through all the rooms and public places. The rooms which will be made transformed into 54 Luxury double rooms will be made more spacious.

Conference facilities will be improved to include a main conference room with a seating capacity of 300. Four Additional breakaway rooms of varying sizes, all properly suited for conferencing, will also be available. Newly enlarged restaurant on the middle floor to convey a sense of sophistication and be able to cater for conference delegates, large weeding receptions and any other functions.

Hotel is set to re-open in March 2010, the unique Hotel waits all visitors to come and enjoy this peaceful, serene and healing environment for never to be forgotten. This fabulous world of sandstone cliffs, sparkling river, age-old-Culture and heritage and the spectacular mountain splendor of the sun-clad Malutis, will add to a life changing experience.
SANParks
Regional Communications Officer

Darwin

Re: GOLDEN GATE HOTEL

Unread post by Darwin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am

The hotel bookings should be through the SANParks central reservation offices as indicated on the website since it will be run by SANParks.

Check out the accommodation link for Golden Gate on the website - I am sure there might be more info.

PARKADDICT

Re: Golden Gate in 2 hours

Unread post by PARKADDICT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:24 pm

I went through Golden Gate on Saturday, and apart from the spectacular scenery, there was not one single animal.
Parkaddict :D

Ernest J
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate in 2 hours

Unread post by Ernest J » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 pm

I have stayed in Golden gate a few times and if you take the time to stop and look and stay over do a couple of the walks you will find,
Black Wilderbeast
Springbok
Oribi
Eland
Zebra
Black Backed Jackal
Ostritch
Rooi Hartebeest
Baboons
Tsessebe
Bearded Vulture
to mention a few as well as a large collection of Birds, Butterflys and reptiles
and most important Peace and Tranquility

P.S. Dont forget to stop at the office for maps and pamphlets and swipe wild card and take the loops
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”

Return to “Northern Parks”