Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
edfriendly

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread post by edfriendly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Yip, busy working through my photographs still. Just need to get them exported from lightroom. Another silly question if I may. I'm a bit of a sissy. I see that Tlopi is unfenced. I also, read that there are lions in Marakele which have in fact been spotted in the camp. Now, what is to stop a lion from running up and biting me? Seems like it would be wonderful to sit on the deck outside the tent and enjoy the view over the dam. Is iit safe?

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Edfriendly
The tents at Tlopi are all on raised decks so there's no need to worry about wildlife. When you come and go to your car, which is obviously on ground level, just do the sensible thing and have a quick check around that all is fine. Then again your car is parked only about 5 metres from your unit so there really is very little risk.
Be more concerned about the Vervet monkeys - they are a real thieving pest and also becoming quite aggressive. Always make sure there is a man accompanying a lady whilst working with food in the kitchen as the vervets will try and intimidate the lady.
Otherwise, Tlopi is a wonderful venue.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi edfriendly,

I agree with shfish. We did visit Tlopi and had no problems at all :thumbs_up: .

Enjoy the visit :D .

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:07 pm

The monkeys are what you must be worried about at Tlopi!! The kitchen area looks secured, but we were raided, despite no food being visible. We thought the area was safe and did not turn the fridge around - no warning was given about the monkeys. We are bush-savvy and used to the monkeys in Kruger and taking evasive action, but did not think there would be a problem in a "secure" kitchen. They squeezed in between the floor and the bottom of the canvas wall and emptied the fridge and defecated all over the kitchen. While we went back to Thabazimbi to re-stock, the cleaning lady cleaned the kitchen.

Just look around before leaving tent and going to your vehicle. We once had elephants very close to our tent.

It is a truly wonderful camp - sitting watching all kinds of animals coming down to drink at the dam. Enjoy your trip.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:36 am

shfish wrote:Always make sure there is a man accompanying a lady whilst working with food in the kitchen as the vervets will try and intimidate the lady.

Thanks for this, shfish :thumbs_up: - I never thought of it before, but now that you mention it I can recall several instances where this was true.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by naomi c » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am

Really have mixed feelings about this - but Tlopi is getting a fence. Will not keep the monkeys out though! :wink:

Then I really have to compliment Marakele on the work that was done on the roads in the Tlopi section of the Park. All the roads have been repaired to the extent that it feels like driving on tar! The road up the mountain has also been re-tarred. They have really done an excellent job! :clap:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Unfortunately monkeys are a fact of life in most of our parks and visitors just have to be on their guard. I have been caught out in Kruger - forgetting to secure (turn round) the fridge for a moment and being "done" - I felt so stupid!! It is usually me going round, telling people to be careful.

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by umtali1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks for all this wonderful info, everyone :gflower: :gflower: We shall be staying in Bontle and Tlopi next year for the first time :dance: :dance: . It's good to know what others have experienced :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

edfriendly

Unread post by edfriendly » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to this. But I think it is gonna be hot there in December.

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 pm

naomi c wrote:Really have mixed feelings about this - but Tlopi is getting a fence. Will not keep the monkeys out though! :wink:

Then I really have to compliment Marakele on the work that was done on the roads in the Tlopi section of the Park. All the roads have been repaired to the extent that it feels like driving on tar! The road up the mountain has also been re-tarred. They have really done an excellent job! :clap:

A FENCE!!!!! OH NO, THAT'S TRAGIC!

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:23 pm

I dont think it will take away the atmosphere of Tlopi?

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 pm

We make good use of nylon straps with ratchet tighteners on fridges & freezers while in Kruger!
Just a nuisance to get things out but at least your food is safe.

E Orix

Unread post by E Orix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:43 am

As far as Tlopi goes as a scenic camp it is world class. It was beautiful sitting and watching the colours
of the Bluffs change. It made cooking your evening meal a pleasure.
The unfenced situation just added to the whole stay, we watched a male Leopard come down to drink
across the little lake. It walked right around the edge to perhaps 75m from us then walked into the cover.
Next morning there were pad marks around the car and dusty marks on our balcony area.
I must admit each morning I looked carefully before I went down to the car.
As for the drive up to the top, I have done it once and that is well enough for me.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:53 am

E Orix wrote:Next morning there were pad marks around the car and dusty marks on our balcony area.

Very exciting E Orix! Fortunately you took notice of the unfenced situation and act accordingly! :clap: :clap:

E Orix wrote:As for the drive up to the top, I have done it once and that is well enough for me.

I couldn't agree more! I'll never go up there again! My legs are still shaking! :big_eyes:

Marakele is a lovely little camp and we would love to go there again! :dance: :dance:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Glad you enjoyed Tlopi Camp, E Orix. We have loved our stays there (except for the monkey episode!).

Wow, leopard at the water!! That must have been amazing to see.

The drive up the mountain is hairy to say the least, but well worth it when you get up to the top! We have done it several times and, luckily, never met anyone going in the opposite direction. I am amazed by the trees on the way up and would love to stop and identify them (impossible, I know!). Maybe one day someone will organise a "tree walk" up the hill.

Return to “Northern Parks”