RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

edfriendly

Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Unread post by edfriendly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 am

OK thanks Arks. Also, I want to spend two nights there. One at the Limpopo Forest tents and another at Leokwe. Is there just a single entrance gate to the park? Will I need to drive from the main gate to the western section?

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am

edfriendly wrote:OK thanks Arks. Also, I want to spend two nights there. One at the Limpopo Forest tents and another at Leokwe. Is there just a single entrance gate to the park? Will I need to drive from the main gate to the western section?

Dear edfriendly,

There is only one entrance to the park, however it is only approximately a 23 km drive from the main gate to the Limpopo Forest tents. See the link HERE where you will find a map of the park for easy reference :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding.

edfriendly

Unread post by edfriendly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Thank you very much. And you need to do all your shopping in Alldays I guess?

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RayK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi barryels,
The maps of Mapungubwe are terrible. According to the map, from Leokwe Camp, it seems possible to drive on the northern fringes of the Park to reach the Western section. Five years ago, to get to the Maloutswa Hide I had to leave the Park and drive onto Dan Staats Road where there was an unattended booth at the entrance to the Western section. Have things changed since my last visit? Or am I confused more than usual?

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 pm

RayK wrote:Hi barryels,
The maps of Mapungubwe are terrible. According to the map, from Leokwe Camp, it seems possible to drive on the northern fringes of the Park to reach the Western section. Five years ago, to get to the Maloutswa Hide I had to leave the Park and drive onto Dan Staats Road where there was an unattended booth at the entrance to the Western section. Have things changed since my last visit? Or am I confused more than usual?

Ray, the Dan Staats Road has been closed to all thru traffic for some time (since the major floods some years ago) and there the are apparently no plans to reopen it, so now to get to the western part of the park one must drive from the park gate via the R572 and R521 to the farm road that leads to the entrance to the western section. It's a long way round :wall:

On my last visit to Mapungubwe (April 2016) I chose to stay at Leokwe and only make a day visit to the western section, which I found to be even less suitable for a sedan (I drove a Polo) than on previous visits. I had on two previous visits negotiated the very interesting road along the river in a Polo with no problems, but in 2016 I found it almost impossible and definitely not recommended (and I also saw very little, whereas in the past I'd had many good sightings on this road). On the plus side, the new Maloutswa Hide is terrific and I spent a most rewarding few hours there. However, I was very glad that I had chosen not to stay any nights in the western section.

And I agree with you that the SANParks maps of Mapungubwe are less than useless. The AA map that includes the park is far better.
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
29-30 November Cape Town

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RayK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi arks,
Once again you've come to my rescue. I'm looking forward to being there in October so the information you've given me (and everyone else) is very helpful. :thumbs_up:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Only a pleasure Ray. Enjoy Mapungubwe, October should be a great time to be there! :mrgreen:
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
29-30 November Cape Town

Return to “Northern Parks”