Addo: Park Experiences

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Addo Park Experiences

Unread post by RonnieL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:37 am

Elephant tossing a stick.

I had been watching these young ellies for some time playing with this stick at Hapoor Dam. They were some distance away but were slowly moving closer in my direction. This stick was going from one ellie to the next. Here are a few of the pics I took of the ellies having fun with the stick.

"Give it to me, it is my turn now"

"Are we going to share it?"

"No, you have had your turn"

A few moments later the other ellie came and took the stick back again and tossed it in the air with the stick
landing close to my car and walked off. Here is a short video of the ellie tossing the stick.

Ronnie

For "Addo Park Experiences" go to:- HERE

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:20 am

Addo Male Lion

I spent the day out at Addo on Saturday and found this male lion late in the afternoon lying in the shade next to the road on the Ngulube loop.
I was able to watch him for some time as he rolled from one side to the other.

At one stage he rolled over onto his back and pushed his head back and gave one mighty yawn.
I was able to see right into his mouth and throat, it is huge. Here is a pic of that, unfortunately
I was a fraction late on the shot and there is some grass in the way.
( I did not think that the lion would appreciate me moving the grass for a better photograph)

I was able to watch him for some time before he got up and then walked off in the direction of a waterhole
presumably to go and have his late afternoon drink before he started hunting.

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Kudu Sightings

There have always been Kudu in the Park and on the land outside of the Park. They are very good jumpers so normal stock proof fencing is easily cleared and so they can move around freely. It is only where there is the high game proof fencing that they are contained.
Kudu numbers have increased inside and outside of the Park and today there are large numbers of Kudu that one can see all over the Park. The best times for sightings are early mornings and late afternoons. They like to spend the hottest time of day in the shade of trees.
They are really majestic animals and here are a few of my sighting.

Here are three Kudu bulls (males)

Kudu cow (females) do not have horns

Kudu bull

Kudu bull standing in shade of tree

Photo of a Kudu bull taken in the Woodland area with the Zuurberg Mountains in the background

Kudu cow in late afternoon sun

Ronnie

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:44 am

We were told on a night drive in Addo that Kudu can jump up to 3 metres and the current fencing doesnt keep them in and that during the hunting season, the Kudu from the surrounding areas jump into the park and the numbers increase by about a 1000?
Kruger - July

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 am

Kudu Bulls (males) Ground-Horning

It was in May after some good rains and the beginning of their mating season that I witnessed these two Kudu bulls ground -horning. They were with a small herd of females and it is during this time that the bulls compete for access to the females by lateral displays with there horns vertical and manes erect. They thrash vegetation and dig up soil with their horns, lock horns with each other and push and twist. The winner will drive off the loser.
A bull that has access to the females (cows) checks their reproductive condition by sniffing their urine. As each female comes into heat the bull will follow her closely and will come alongside her with his his head stretched forward and horns back and places his neck across her back. The bull only mates with her once and chooses the best time to mate with her.

Here is a pic of a Kudu bull ground-horning

A kudu bull closely following a female

A kudu bull placing his head alongside the female

A video of two kudu bulls ground-horning

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Zebra Sightings

Here are some of my photos of Zebra sightings.

These Zebra were on top of Zuurkop

This was taken at Carol's Rest, one of the waterholes frequented by Zebra

This is a short video of the Zebra running to the waterhole and having a drink

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Addo Male Lion

I went out to Addo yesterday and I was at the Matyholweni Entrance Gate before 7.00am and so I was the first guest in when the gates opened at 7.00am. I travelled up the Southern Access Road for about 10km when at 7.25am I noticed a Male Lion walking in the road ahead of me. I slowly approached the lion and when I got close to him he lay down in the road. I was able to watch him for 45 min just lazing about and grooming himself. At one stage he got up and walked a little further and lay down in the shade of a small tree next to the road. He then got up again and walked into the tall grass and slowly disappeared over the brow of the hill.
What a sighting.......... and all the time I was the only guest there,....... just me and the lion.
Here are a few of the pics I took and a short video.

Ronnie

hoyle

Unread post by hoyle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Ronnie - lovely pics of the lion. On Wednesday we were also first in at the gate and saw a male lying in the rain, right next to the road. There were just us and another vehicle.
We were so lucky to see another 4, two males and 2 females, quite close to Domkrag Dam. We saw them sleeping early in the morning and went back later - what a sighting, they were in such a playful mood and had hi jinks - playing with each other and then walked past us towards Woodlands. I am battling to load pics but will try as I took many! We were NOT the only car! Pity some private game drivers do NOT have manners when this happens. Do not realise that the park is for all of us.
MAY - JUNE - 7 WEEKS
PLEASE SAVE THE RHINO

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 am

Steppe Buzzard

After having the great sighting of the Male Lion I came across this Steppe Buzzard on the Ngulube Loop eating termites. Steppe Buzzards are non-breeding summer visitors to the Park eating mainly insects, small birds, mammals, frogs and lizards.
It was right next to the road where the termites were exiting from their underground nest giving me this great sighting of the Steppe Buzzard eating the termites on the ground and there were also European Swallows taking the flying termites in the air that had managed to escape the Steppe Buzzard and had taken flight.

Here are some pics of the Steppe Buzzard.

Here is a short video of the Steppe Buzzard eating the termites.
The dark flashes you see going by on the screen are those of the European Swallows taking the flying termites in the air.

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 am

Bushbuck Female

I had this lovely sighting of this Bushbuck ewe (female) in Dec 2010. It was on one of those rainy days that I spent in the Park. Bushbuck are normally active early mornings and evenings and late at night. They are solitary but sometimes small groups can be seen feeding together. I found this bushbuck a short way in from the Matyholweni Entrance feeding alongside the road and I was able to watch her for ten minutes before she retuned to the bush. Bushbuck are very shy animals and normally hide in thick vegetation and this is by far my best sighting of a bushbuck in the Park.
The males are darker in color ranging from dark brown to black and also have horns. The males are aggressive towards other males and will fight to the death over a female. I once came across a dead bushbuck male lying in a path, (not Addo) It had not been dead long as it was still slightly warm. I found a stab wound in its chest and when I cut it open for further investigation I found that it had been stabbed through the heart and had died instantly. Bushbuck are also aggressive towards predators and are known to have killed dogs and leopard.

Here are a few of the pics I took and a short video

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 am

The Leopard Tortoise

The Leopard Tortoise (Geochelone pardalis) is the largest and most commonly seen tortoise on sunny days and is the most abundant tortoise in the Park. They feed on grass and plants and can often be found crossing the roads or next to the roads where they are feeding on the green grass verges, from the water runoff from the roads.
The Domkrag Dam is named after a legendary Leopard Tortoise who lived in the area of the dam.

I took these photos of his shell that is now on display in the Interactive Center at the Main Camp

These are pics of a Leopard Tortoise feeding next to the road.

Leopard Tortoises mating.

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 am

A short video of a Leopard Tortoise eating.

A short video of Leopard Tortoises mating

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 am

Bushbuck Ram (Male)

I was out at Addo yesterday and had this lovely sighting of a Bushbuck ram on the Mbabala Loop on Zuurkop. They are very nervous animals and it stood still long enough in a small opening in the bush for me to take this photograph before it run across the road in front of me. As I have mentioned in my post of the Bushbuck female the males are dark brown to black in color and are also larger in size.

Bushbuck Ram standing in a small opening.

This photo is of the Bushbuck running across the road.
The quality is not that good but I had to take the photo through my front windshield and into the sun

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Elephants having a dust bath

I took these pics at Rooidam of ellies have a dust bath on a cool day.
Ellies shower themselves with sand and dust for the same reasons they have mud baths,
to cool themselves off and for protection against parasites.
They stuck-up the sand and dust into their trunks and then blow it over themselves

Ronnie

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 am

Meercats (Suricate)

As long as I can remember I have always seen Meercats in the Woodlands section going back to the early 1960's when this area was camped off as the Antelope Camp. Meercats can also often be seen in the area around Hapoor Dam.
Last week when I was in Addo Park in the Woodlands section I came across this Meercat sentinel perched on top of a bush. I stopped and watched him for awhile. The rest of the family group were foraging some distance away and too far for me to get a good foto of them. The sentinel was giving his continual "all clear" signal call but was looking up towards the sky. I had a look up myself and way up in the distance I noticed a bird of prey (Jackal Buzzard) circling. I watch and noticed that the Jackal Buzzard was coming ever so slowly closer when all of a sudden the sentinel's all clear call changed to an alarm call. This was the trigger to setoff the foraging Meercats scampering for cover. They came running straight towards my vehicle and used it as cover on their way to the bush where the sentinel was stationed and scampered in underneath the bush. Sorry no fotos, this happened all to fast and too close to me. The sentinel kept his post on top of the bush while another post itself at the base of the bush and kept a watchful eye.

Here are some of the pics I took.

Ronnie

Return to “Frontier Parks”