Mountain Zebra National Park Activities Sightings

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
MZNP_Guides
Guru
Guru

Re: Mountain Zebra National Park Activities Sightings

Unread post by MZNP_Guides » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 am

Morning everyone

I have been scarce for the past month but the sightings have still been exhilirating. We have been treated to the male lions on three seperate kills, as well as one of the female cheetah's eating a kudu calf. The changing of the seasons is become quite apparent especially with the sun beginning to rise a bit later and setting earlier. One of the early morning drives presented us with an amazing sighting of the wild cheetah female who has three cubs, we managed to approach within 50 meters of her before disappeared into the bush, a very lucky sighting indeed. The night drives continue to reveal the many secrets Mountain Zebra has to offer. There have been five brown hyena sightings, two of which very close to the road. The bat-eared foxes and aardwolf continue to provide us with inisghts into their private lives. We have been fortunate to see three different small spotted genets and even a lone bushpig. A real highlight was spending 10 minutes with a foraging aardvark.
Many of our summer migrants are begining to gather prior to their long journey home after enjoying a pleasant summer here. The nocturnal bird sightings have also proved to be exceptional, with spotted eagle and barn owls been seen on a regular basis. The fiery necked and rufous cheeked nightjars litter the roads at night and provide us with some up close and personal sightings as they fly away at the last minute.
May our run of good sightings continue into Easter and may we see you soon.
Regards
Dan

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 am

What a very special Park MZNP is and truly exhilirating sightings you have had, Dan :D
Thanks so much for sharing this with us and
may we see you soon
.... I am planning :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

MZNP_Guides
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MZNP_Guides » Tue May 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Good afternoon everyone
I have been very quiet on the forum but Mountain Zebra has busy.
The changing of the seasons has become very obvious in the recent weeks. The sun is struggling to rise in the morning and only becomes warm midmorning. The early mornings and evenings are getting a lot colder and the veld is dry. The bush has started to ‘thin’ out as many of the tree species are losing or have lost their leaves. The usually nocturnal animal species have started to change their behaviour and forage patterns and are now been seen in the early afternoon.
Sightings of aardwolf and families of bat-eared foxes are a regular occurrence on the main road and Ubejane loop. Even the secretive aardvark is showing itself on a more regular basis and has treated a few very lucky people to some exceptional sightings. The small spotted genets have adopted a nonchalant attitude of lazing in the road and are uninterested in the approaching vehicle. This in term has provided us with some excellent views of this normally shy creature. The porcupines have started to feed on the roots of the thorn trees and can be seen next to the main road of the park. The springhares have also started to emerge from their burrows earlier in the evening and this allows the pair of jackals that hunts them, an increased opportunity of catching them. The jackal’s efforts are poorly rewarded but it is just a matter of time before they eventually get it right and hopefully we will be there to witness it!
The large carnivores still give us just enough to keep us excited. The male lions continue to move around the entire park on a weekly basis but appear to be moving a bit more into the southern sections in search of buffalo. The cheetahs pop up from time to time and the male has been seen on numerous occasions moving around Rooiplaat. Even the very shy brown hyenas are been seen in the early night and allow us more than a glimpse before they disappear into the darkness.
The birding activities have slowed down, as most of the resident species are the head scratching LBJs which all seem to blend into the drying out veld. The ground woodpeckers and pale wing starlings can be seen on a more regular basis on the large rocks scattered along the Kranskop Loop. The top of the loop has yielded very good views of buff-streaked chats, black harriers and the odd capped wheatear. A little sparrowhawk took up temporary residence in the second picnic site and this was first for the park.
I am sure the changing of the seasons will provide us with more interesting sightings as many of the animals prepare for the onset of winter.
Regards
Dan

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:06 am

MZNP_Guides wrote:It has been a very long time since the black-footed cats last showed themselves but with that been said, it does not impede our efforts to try and find them. And search we will

And we'll all hope that you'll succeed!!! :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

GregM-W

Unread post by GregM-W » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Our visit in June did not bless us with Lion, Cheetah, Aardwolf, Brown Hyena or Rhino. The weather was such that most animals preferred to find a sunny spot out of the wind but on the last day, although cold, the wind whispered and.....
BB Jackal
Kudu
Mountain Reedbuck
Red Hartebeest
Gemsbok
Grey Rhebok
Klipspringer
Black Wildebeest
Blesbok
Eland
Cape Buffalo
Springbok
Vervet
Baboon
Mt Zebra
Ground Squirrel
Steenbok
Baboon
Secretary Bird
Pale Chanting Goshawk
Ostrich
Marshall Eagle (This in action taking a ground squirrel)
Meerkat

in one day.

Just being there is fantastic, all animal sightings are a bonus.

MZNP_Guides
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MZNP_Guides » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:55 am

They seem to be, most animals are not too enthusiastic about being active during the cold nights of winter, the black-footed cats even less so!

Last night's night drive treated us to a once in a life time sighting! After a rather slow start to the drive, we came across the male lions engaged in a stalk on the Ubejane loop. We could only see the one male and he was focused on an animal we could not see, he crept across the road and this allowed us to catch up to him. He darted across the road (in front of us) and into the darkness but returned into the view of the spotlight in hot pursuit after an aardvark! The aardvark was moving as fast as it could go but was no match for the lion, who managed to catch it after five bounds. We were very fortunate to witness this entire scene not more than 10 meters from the vehicle! It was truly a sighting of a life time and another reminder of just how special Mountain Zebra is in terms of unique sightings.

It just goes to show, you never know what is round the next corner...

Regards
Dan

George_Brits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:33 am

Hi Dan, wow I agree with you, that's a once in a lifetime sighting. It just shows how opportunistic lions can be!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 am

Oh wow wow wow!!! What an amazing sighting this must have been!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thank you so much for the update! :gflower:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:23 pm

SUPER sighting :clap: :clap: , thanks so much for sharing that with us, Dan :D :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas

Tony T

Unread post by Tony T » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi there,

Beginning June 2015 we visited Mountain Zebra; this was our second visit and yet again we were not disappointed. What a beautiful place. I would like to share some memories in the form of photos with you.

KTP- 23/4/15 to 26/4/15 - Mata Mata
27/4/14 to 30/4/15 - Nossob
1/5/15 to 4/5/15 - Gharagab
[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Thank you for sharing, Tony T :D
Is a beautiful Park and so are your photos !
aquila non capit muscas

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Congratulations on your Regional Manager's Award Dan! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for taking time to keep us all updated on the forums! :clap: :clap:
- Dalene

picmatt

Unread post by picmatt » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi all,
During my visit in February 2016 a lion and lioness were mating at MZP. Has anyone seen any cubs yet - considering that the gastation period is between 105 - 110 days.

HBurger

Unread post by HBurger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:09 pm

I have just returned form my first ever visit to MZNP. We stopped over for two nights only on the way back from the coast. Time was rather limited but in spite of this we saw Mountain Zebra, Steenbok, Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest, Eland, Buffalo, Black backed jackal, springbok, blesbok, shrub hare, yellow mongoose and rooi hartbees. There was however no sign of Burchell's Zebra which, according to the checklist on this website, also occurs in the park. Were we juts unlucky or is an a typo on the check list?

I was particularly eager to see the black rhino's but except for a couple of tell-tale middens and fresh tracks on the Ubejane loop did not have any luck. I am quite keen to learn how often the rhino's are seen because this remains very much on my to do list.

I did find the travelling hours rather frustrating. In summer 6 am is way too late and it could be argued that even 19h00 is actually too early. In both instances it is way too late or too early to see nocturnal animals. Perhaps this could be reconsidered?

PJL
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator - Antelope Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Smaller Parks - Small Parks Campfire Award (2016)

Unread post by PJL » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Karin Mitton wrote:
HBurger wrote:I was particularly eager to see the black rhino's but except for a couple of tell-tale middens and fresh tracks on the Ubejane loop did not have any luck. I am quite keen to learn how often the rhino's are seen because this remains very much on my to do list.

In 2 visits I have only seen them once, and they are also high on my wish list. I am hoping to see them next week when I go there.

We have been particularly fortunate with sightings - 7 in 2 visits (totalling 7 nights staying in the park)

Return to “Frontier Parks”