Mountain Zebra celebrates 80 years

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Lesego
Guru
Guru

Mountain Zebra celebrates 80 years

Unread post by Lesego » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello 'Mites :D

Did you know that Mountain Zebra National Park was proclaimed on 3 July 1937 for the purpose of protecting a remnant population of the Cape mountain zebra (Equus zebra zebra)? Which means, the Park turned 80 years this month :dance: :dance:

Now? As a way of celebrating this milestone, SANParks will be giving one lucky forumite a guided game drive voucher for them and partner :P
As a way of celebrating this milestone, we would like you to share with us your best memory of the Park and you can add pictures too. The best post chosen by SANParks by 04 August 2017, will be the winner.

Looking forward to reading your posts.
Attachments
Mountain Zebra_Wildlife_Zebra_Rudolph de Girardier_IMGL2861.jpg
Mountain Zebra Jeugherberg camp-20 January 1973-0057.jpg
Mountain Zebra National Park - 20 January 1973-0057
Mountain Zebra NP-Piet Bronkhorst-May 1978-0059 (2).jpg
Mountain Zebra NP - May 1978
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Re: Mountain Zebra celebrates 80 years

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

What a wonderful idea!!! Thank you for info Lesego. :gflower:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:07 pm

For me my fondest memories have to be when I visited this little gem of a Park for the first time in Dec 2012. I had read a lot about it on the forums, and seeing Aardwolf was high, high on my wish list. On our first night we went on a night drive. We so no less than 5 individual aardwolves. I was ecstatic. And then it got even better when we came accross a porcupine AND an Aardvark! Even the guide was astonished!

image.jpg

This is just a beautiful Park!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 am

What a great idea SANPARKS.

Karin some lovely photos and great memories there! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 am

I love this Park. 8)

Photobucket :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: I cannot post my contribution.

Karin and Lesego, thanks for the images.

Did we really wear shorts so short in the seventies. :hmz:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

PJL
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator - Antelope Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Smaller Parks - Small Parks Campfire Award (2016)

Unread post by PJL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:26 pm

We've been very fortunate on our visits to MZNP to have some awesome sightings... so my problem is that I don't have a single 'best' memory :wall: :wall: :lol: So I'm going to share 4 memories that each stood out in their own way :thumbs_up:

1. Sunset Cheetahs
Driving around Rooiplaat one afternoon we spotted a small cheetah head pop out in the grass. We waited around for a while and were rewarded with a beautiful sighting of four sub-adult cheetahs calling for their mom :dance: :dance:
What made the sighting even more incredible was that it took place as the sun was setting, so the cheetahs were bathed in the most magnificent Karoo colours 8)

2. Chased By Lions
On another evening on Rooiplaat when we were driving back to camp, a couple of lionesses popped into view. They were very interested in a herd of zebra beyond our car, and the intent on their eyes was something to behold :shock: . As they continued to move closer we felt a bit intimidated and wound our windows up which was a good thing because one of them started circling our car. The other lioness took off unsuccessfully after the zebra and as it was getting late we knew we had to head back to camp, but when we started moving I was astounded to see a lioness bounding after us in my rear view mirrors! Our car is white, so perhaps she thought we were an oversized zebra :lol: We later learned that the lioness had just given birth to cubs and perhaps the change in hormones explained her bizarre behaviour :wink:

3. Aardwolfs
Photographing the elusive aardwolf was really high on my wish list on our last visit, and I was amazed that we had 3 really great sightings in 3 days :dance: :dance: They are often very shy, but each of the aardwolf in these sightings didn't seem to mind our presence and allowed us to watch them for a good length of time :thumbs_up:

4. Grumpy Old Lady
We were very excited to try out the cheetah tracking, and our guide Dan did a great job of homing in on one of the park's cheetah. However, just as we got to a point close enough to walk we rounded a corner to find a very grumpy old lady who immediately charged the vehicle! Dan handled it very well and she eventually moved off, so we continued to look for the cheetah. Each time we got close to the cat, the grumpy old lady would make another appearance... we never got to see the cheetah in the end as it was simply too dangerous to get out the vehicle. It's probably the only time I've ever been cross with such a good sighting :roll: :lol:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Wonderful memories, thanks for sharing PJL! :clap:

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:23 pm

PJL wrote:We've been very fortunate on our visits to MZNP to have some awesome sightings... so my problem is that I don't have a single 'best' memory :wall: :wall: :lol: So I'm going to share 4 memories that each stood out in their own way :thumbs_up:

1. Sunset Cheetahs
Driving around Rooiplaat one afternoon we spotted a small cheetah head pop out in the grass. We waited around for a while and were rewarded with a beautiful sighting of four sub-adult cheetahs calling for their mom :dance: :dance:
What made the sighting even more incredible was that it took place as the sun was setting, so the cheetahs were bathed in the most magnificent Karoo colours 8)

2. Chased By Lions
On another evening on Rooiplaat when we were driving back to camp, a couple of lionesses popped into view. They were very interested in a herd of zebra beyond our car, and the intent on their eyes was something to behold :shock: . As they continued to move closer we felt a bit intimidated and wound our windows up which was a good thing because one of them started circling our car. The other lioness took off unsuccessfully after the zebra and as it was getting late we knew we had to head back to camp, but when we started moving I was astounded to see a lioness bounding after us in my rear view mirrors! Our car is white, so perhaps she thought we were an oversized zebra :lol: We later learned that the lioness had just given birth to cubs and perhaps the change in hormones explained her bizarre behaviour :wink:

3. Aardwolfs
Photographing the elusive aardwolf was really high on my wish list on our last visit, and I was amazed that we had 3 really great sightings in 3 days :dance: :dance: They are often very shy, but each of the aardwolf in these sightings didn't seem to mind our presence and allowed us to watch them for a good length of time :thumbs_up:

4. Grumpy Old Lady
We were very excited to try out the cheetah tracking, and our guide Dan did a great job of homing in on one of the park's cheetah. However, just as we got to a point close enough to walk we rounded a corner to find a very grumpy old lady who immediately charged the vehicle! Dan handled it very well and she eventually moved off, so we continued to look for the cheetah. Each time we got close to the cat, the grumpy old lady would make another appearance... we never got to see the cheetah in the end as it was simply too dangerous to get out the vehicle. It's probably the only time I've ever been cross with such a good sighting :roll: :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS PJL :dance: :dance:
Your post has been selected as the winner :) Can you please email me your contact details?

Congratulations once again.
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:34 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations PJL!!!

You had such a wonderful time in this gem of a park!!! Hope your next visit will be just as wonderful!!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Congratulations PJL on your well deserved win!
Trust that you will continue to have and share many more memories of your SANPARKS visits with all of us here on the Forum :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm

:clap: PJL ! :D
aquila non capit muscas

PJL
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator - Antelope Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Smaller Parks - Small Parks Campfire Award (2016)

Unread post by PJL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Wow thank you :gflower:
PM sent Lesego :thumbs_up:

Return to “Frontier Parks”