Skip to Content

New to Addo

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
don

New to Addo

Unread post by don » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Hello...I have been to Kruger quite a few times...8 or 9. I am thinking of branching out a bit on my next trip in August and am considering Addo and maybe Mountain Zebra. Would 5-6 nights at Addo be too long...nothing is too long at Kruger but since I don't know Addo I would not want to get there and feel like I booked for too long a time. Also, I see that Mountain Zebra is close...is it worth it to take a trip up there as well. If so, would more time at Addo or more at Mountain Zebra be preferred. Thanks for any information. Don

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: New to Addo

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

I did a Mountain Zebra and Addo trip this past December. I did 3 nights at each park. They are only about 2hours apart, and it is a good idea to combine the 2 parks.

Both are small enough that you can do them in one day easily and have time do more drives in the afternoon. We stayed in the main rest camp in Addo, and could easily drive to the south and back in half a day.
I would have loved to stay longer in Addo, but 3 nights is ok - both Parks deserve a minimum of 3 nights without question.

And if you go to MZNP, try the cheetah walk - it is a fabulous experience. You should also go on a night drive as you could the the special night time creatures such as Aardwolf and Bat-eared foxes. MZNP may not have the volumes and variety of animals like Kruger, but when you see those views ......
And remeber MZNP can get bitterly cold in winter, so be prepared as August may sill be freezing!

Visit these fabulous Parks - you wil not regret it.

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:17 am

Hi don,
As ADDO is my favourite Sanpark, and Elephants are my favourite animal :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
About 6 years ago I camped for 21 nights in ADDO.... :)
Not once did I feel it was too long!! :)
Addo and Mountain Zebra being so close is a very do-able trip, and perhaps that way you get to enjoy both parks!
I have camped in both parks, previously, 3 nights in each is the minimum time you should stay :thumbs_up:

MR1980

Unread post by MR1980 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi don,

I posted my thoughts on the 2 parks a couple of weeks ago:

My family and I just came back from our trip to South Africa and we visited both Addo and Mountain Zebra for 3 nights and we enjoyed Mountain Zebra so much more than Addo... Addo has elephants of course but so has Kruger, Mountain Zebra has incredible landscapes and Addo has a lot of very, very thick bush where it is very hard to spot animals. Of course there are the waterholes which are superb such as Hapoor which has great animal sightings but when you don't see animals at Mountain Zebra you at least see beautiful landscapes. Addo has a lot less of that so driving between places can actually be a bit boring.

As a bonus, Mountain Zebra has cheetah tracking which can be very rewarding as our guide found us a mother with 3, 17 month old cubs, incredible experience! My last point for Mountain Zebra is that it is a far more relaxing experience as there are a lot less people in the park and the rest camp is in a great location, far away from the parks borders so you don't hear cars and trains as you do hear at Addo Main Camp. You can actually enjoy the silence at Mountain Zebra, in Addo this is not possible, at least not at Main Camp.

Mountain Zebra is a place I would love to go back to some day as for Addo, I've seen it but I won't likely return.

Good luck planning and defititively visit Mountain Zebra!!

Cheers,

Michel

Return to “Frontier Parks”