Skip to Content

Table Mountain - Safety and Security

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Table Mountain - Safety and Security

Unread post by arks » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Lumi wrote:Myself and my partner are visiting Cape Town for four nights in August. We are both keen (nature) photographers and are planning to visit Table Mountain, Cape Point, Boulder's Beach and West Coast NP. Because we have to carry camera gear with us, we'd really like to get some tips about safety issues.

Hi Lumi and Welcome!

I had visited all those places as a solo female with camera gear and never had any problems. However, since I'm alone, I don't wander too far from my car, but as there are two of you, in most cases you should be just fine. I would just be normally aware of your surroundings in the parks. The mugging problems seem to be mainly around hiking trails on Table Mountain and Lion's Head, as well as the trails up the mountain from Kirstenbosch.

I've not heard of problems at Cape Point, Boulders (go to the southern entrance where there is a family swimming beach, much more fun than the northern entrance where all the big tour coaches go!) or WCNP. These are all places where you can get out and explore on foot, as there are no large predators. Have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Kalika

Unread post by Kalika » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am

Hi all!

I'm currently a Geography Honnours student at the University of Stellenbosch and I will be doing a project regarding crimes against tourists within the Table Mountain National Park.

I'm looking for data regarding these crimes from 2004-2010, specifically the LOCATIONS of where the crimes occurred in the park (i.e. Platteklip, Silvermine, Cape Point etc). My aim is to map these crimes using a GIS (Geographic Information System), therefore the locations are crucial to the study.

I will then be able to visually represent these crimes and how they might have been displaced due to stricter security enforcements.

I would really appreciate any data or information regarding this study!

Kind regards,
Kalika

P.S. Richard, I've noticed that you have already done a similar effort with Google Maps. Have you since expanded on this type of representation of crime in the park?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:39 pm

bambazonke wrote:Glad others are willing to lend support, as the publicity about the probs doesn't make the national news anymore.
You must have missed the etv broadcast then that highlighted the problem SANParks have to try and keep Table Mountain a safe area for hikers.

Paddy Gordon was interviewed and came over very well and showed much concern for what is going on. He also explained just how difficult it is for SANParks to police the area: the fact that it is an unfenced area exposed entirely right around the mountain and that there are many caves and old barracks for criminals to hide in, making it even more difficult to catch them.

The fact that the police are now becoming involved show that this matter is being taken very seriously.
- Dalene

Shirton

Unread post by Shirton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 pm

During a MTB ride above Rhodes Memorial this afternoon I assisted in apprehending someone suspected of being a mugger.
While on the mountain there was a SAN Parks vehicle patrolling Table Mountain - well done. Secondly it was manned by 2 gentlemen, 1 of who was very fit - well done.
However, after the attempted mugging, we called the CT emergency number, which was answered by helpful staff, except they did not appear to be able to know how to get hold of SAN Parks. We were fairly helpless standing on the mountain, watching the mugger walking down the mountain, while the SAN Park vehicle was stationed at a visible point. Thankfully a mountain biker cycled down the mountain and alerted the SAN Parks vehicle who assisted in apprehending the person. A big thank you to the 2 SAN Parks people who assisted - they were very helpful and professional.

Suggestions to SAN Parks in Cape Town
1. Get all the authorities to know what telephone numbers to call should SAN Parks be required to react.
2. Put signs up on the mountain with contact numbers people can call in case of need.

The above will assist in a unified force to drive crime off Table Mountain.

Ada.mcculloch

Unread post by Ada.mcculloch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:20 am

Hi there,

I am a student journalist doing an article on crime on Table Mountain and Lion's Head. I was wondering if someone could update me on what is being done about crime.

1. Are there any plans in place to have the same kind of security on Lion's Head?
2. Does the prescence of security on Table Mounatin have a negative effect on the ambiance of the area?
3. Has crime increased or decreased since last year?
4. Are there any other plans on increasing security on Table Mountain in the future?
\
Thanks any help would be much appreciated :)

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am

aquila non capit muscas

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 pm

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 am

There are 2000 muggings in Hyde Park, London a year, including stabbings. Table Mountain I am sure has similar visitor numbers and is much much bigger. It is still a city park and like all city parks there is a crime risk. The headlines are more spectacular when there is crime on a tall, iconic mountain as opposed to a regular city park...

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

These guys had a major part in the success which has been achieved: Patrol dogs

Well done to all involved! Keep it up!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Tim Robinson

Unread post by Tim Robinson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi to all,
I was so looking forward to taking the family to South Africa next August, climbing table Mountain, walking on the beaches etc but the more I read the less sure I am about the whole idea. Is it Ok to walk on Table Mountain? Will we have to attach ourselves to a group of tourists? When driving the coast in the Cape Town area, if we see a beautiful beach but with no one on it, should we think twice about going for a walk?
I'm a birder - do I have to forget the idea or leaving the family somewhere and wandering off to do a bit of birding on my own? Am I just getting paranoid? I know most of you will probably say "oh it only happens to an unlucky few" but if that's us!
Thanks in advance for any advice
Tim

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am

You can enjoy deserted beaches within the Cape Point protect reserve without any concerns - my top tip is Platboom or Olifantsbos beaches on the Atlantic side 5 minutes drive from the Cape of Good Hope.

Other deserted beaches like Noordhoek (near Chapman's Peak) are fine as well, although a few years ago there was the occasional mugging on the Masiphumelele/Kommetjie side of the 13 km beach.

That said I haven't heard of problems here for years. There was a mugging near Hout Bay up in the mountains above the Imizamo Yethu informal settlement, earlier this year and a couple on Signal Hill and at Sandy Bay. The crime on the mountain chain has been massively cut though the last 12 months.

You have to remember that the National Park is massive and contains mountains and beaches which are on occasion adjacent to built up areas.. Thus you have to treat it as a city park; indeed Hyde Park in London has lots of muggings and stabbings, but seeing the huge number of visitors, it doesn't mean you are at a high risk.

I can highly recommend Platteklip Gorge walk (park near the cable car station and take the car down once on top), Kasteelspoort hike (park on Theresa Avenue, Camps Bay). Other good walks include Skeleton Gorge (start and finish from Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens) and numerous walks on the peninsula.

We have always done walks as an "isolated" couple in all the above recommended beaches and the three walks above.. It sounds like the petty thefts along the Table Mountain National Park are under control. Go and enjoy the stunning scenery!

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by missings.a.! » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:44 am

[quote][/quoYou have to remember that the National Park is massive and contains mountains and beaches which are on occasion adjacent to built up areas.. Thus you have to treat it as a city park; indeed Hyde Park in London has lots of muggings and stabbings, but seeing the huge number of visitors, it doesn't mean you are at a high risk.
quote]

Do not want to appear impolite Graham, but jmo, I live in walking distance of Hyde Park (in Chelsea) and would think nothing of walking alone in the park and often cut through on foot from Mayfair to Knightsbridge or, when my niece and nephew were toddlers, took them on their little scooters for a picnic on the grass.

In 2009/2010 there were 619 murders in England and Wales. Random attacks happen, but they are rare. The homicide numbers are 11 murders per million people.

It is a good idea to put pressure on the powers that be to improve safety on TMNP, as Cape Town is an inportant revenue earner for South Africa.

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

Having been mugged at knife point, I don't view Hyde Park as you do, although it is certainly safer than my local park in south London, I have just had bad luck. I wasn't making a comparison of the crime between the nations and agree the authorities need to be encouraged to continue to do more to curb the muggings along the TMNP chain as these are not good for the city as a whole.

I was in fact pointing out that TMNP should be treated as an urban park from the point of view of safety. At the same time I was trying to encourage Tim to enjoy the park as it is clear improvements have been made this year, although more could always be done. Dan Plato mentioned earlier this year in a press conference that during bad months as many as 30 people were mugged across the park. I don't know how many people visit the park per month though. Thank goodness the increase in officers and dogs has reduced the problem, but seeing as even one act of crime is an issue there is more to be done.

lizef
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by lizef » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Table Mountain National Park's Visitor Safety Team ready and prepared for the festive season: http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=55375

Return to “Cape Parks”