Skip to Content

Tankwa treasures

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
Disselblom

Tankwa treasures

Unread post by Disselblom » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm

I visited the Tankwa Karoo National Park for the first time during February 2016. I was pleasantly surprised by the peace and quite. Although it was not flowering season, there was still plenty to see. At reception, a book on the flowers of the Roggeveld and Tanqua by Helga van der Merwe was on sale as well as a booklet on the geology of the park by the Honorary Rangers. It was definitely worthwhile buying them. The only downside to my visit was the condition of the roads. Although the map indicates that the main roads are suitable for a sedan vehicle, it is very corrugated and in my opinion, not suitable for sedan vehicles. Also, because of the shale, there is a huge possibility of cutting the side of your tires on some of the smaller roads. It is therefore advisable to carry extra tires and to lower the tyre pressure.

MATTHYS

Re: Tankwa treasures

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for your observations and a warm welcome to the forums, Disselblom :D
Tankwa NP is on my to do list and I hope to go there this year.
aquila non capit muscas

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:19 am

Disselblom wrote:I visited the Tankwa Karoo National Park for the first time during February 2016. I was pleasantly surprised by the peace and quite. Although it was not flowering season, there was still plenty to see. At reception, a book on the flowers of the Roggeveld and Tanqua by Helga van der Merwe was on sale as well as a booklet on the geology of the park by the Honorary Rangers. It was definitely worthwhile buying them. The only downside to my visit was the condition of the roads. Although the map indicates that the main roads are suitable for a sedan vehicle, it is very corrugated and in my opinion, not suitable for sedan vehicles. Also, because of the shale, there is a huge possibility of cutting the side of your tires on some of the smaller roads. It is therefore advisable to carry extra tires and to lower the tyre pressure.

The good news here is that grading of the main road through the park is underway...when we left on Sunday (April 11) grading had already progressed to about 10 km into the park. The P2250 (that is the road that turns off the Ceres-Calvinia road towards Tanka) is now in a very good condition; hopefully all the main roads in the park will be in the same state very shortly!
Regarding the tyres.....the locals maintain that there are two golden rules: don't speed and don't cross the median ("middelmannetjie") when travelling at reasonable speed. According to the folks that live around there, lowering the tyre pressure just exposes more of the fragile sidewalls of the tyres to the shale.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 am

Very good news and good advice too, thanks for the feedback, Albert 8)
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Cape Parks”