Skip to Content

Ais - Ais Richtersveld in August

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
MichaelS

Ais - Ais Richtersveld in August

Unread post by MichaelS » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 am

Hi All,

Firstly, happy new year to you all, I hope everyone has a great year ahead with many happy miles and adventures along the way.

My wife and I are looking to do a 10 day trip to the Richtersveld (we are from JHB) and I have posted on another forum ) but thought I would cast a wider net as I read Canon's trip report from last year and got great ideas from his post.
The trip thus far is looking as follows:
- 4 nights at De Hoop
- 2 nights at Kokerboomkloof
- Will be towing a Conqueror trailer behind a Fortuner 4x4. WIll make sure we have extra fuel and water as I understand we need drinking water along the way and more so at Kokerboomkloof
- Have been advised to exit through Helskloof pass

My main questions I have are:

1. Do we have to check in and out of the park through Sendelingsdrift - even when exiting through Helskloof Pass? At this point, we are not looking to cross any border so will remain SA side
2. What is the best route from JHB? As far as I can make out, best would be to travel to Springbok (over night in Springbok) and then travel up to Steinkopf, head towards Port Nolloth but turn off up towards Kuboes before hitting Port Nolloth?
3. If we base ourselves at De Hoop, are we able to hike in the park or take MTB's along and ride in the park during the day? We will look to do a couple drives around as well.
4. I am looking at taking a fly rod as well so will ensure I get a permit at the gate

Appreciate all suggestions and advice.

Regards,

barryels

Re: Ais - Ais Richtersveld in August

Unread post by barryels » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi MichaelS,

Glad that you visit the forums for information :thumbs_up: .

1. The answer to your first question is that you have to book in at Sendelingsdrift, but don't have to book out there as well. You can therefore leave the park through Helskloof Pass. Also read the topic Richtersveld Entry and Exit Gates.

2. I would also suggest that you read through the topics in the index Here to get a feel for the park :thumbs_up: .

3. The two routes from Upington is as follows:

Springbok – Port Nolloth – Alexander Baai – Sendelingsdrift or;
Springbok – Vioolsdrift – Noordoewer – Aussenkehr – al along the river to Pontoon

I personally will not drive from JHB to Springbok in one day. I would suggest a stay over in Upington and then drive to Sendelingsdrift and stay there for one night and then drive to De Hoop the next day :hmz:
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2016 - VOTE!
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

MichaelS

Unread post by MichaelS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi barryels,

Thanks for your response and suggestions, certainly food for thought with more reading and research to come!

Will keep you posted on how our trip develops.

Regards,

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi MichaelS,

It was a pleasure to assist and I think that every member of these forums are looking forward to a report back on the trip :thumbs_up: .

Looking forward to how the trip develops :D .

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

MichaelS

Unread post by MichaelS » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

Hi All,
So, it seems we are getting solid plans in place and looking at the following:

13 Aug: Leave JHB and drive to Springbok
14 Aug: Leave Springbok and drive via Steinkopf/Richtersveld (Map below) to Sendelingsdrift and then onto De Hoop Campsite
15 Aug: De Hoop Campsite
16 Aug: De Hoop Campsite
17 Aug: De Hoop Campsite
18 Aug: Drive to Kokerboomkloof
19 Aug: Kokerboomkloof
20 Aug: Exit Richtersveld via Helskloof pass and head to Upington
21 Aug: Drive from Upington to JHB

For those of you who have done this trip from JHB, does this seem reasonable? Some have suggested breaking the journey from JHB to Upington (Day 1) then onto Sendelingdrift (Day 2) and then onto De Hoop (Day 3). We are hoping to get to De Hoop ASAP and spend more time in park but wise advice from barryels has made me question this further.

We are looking to drive to Sendelingsdrift from Springbok via Steinkopf/Richtersveld, is this the best route? Some say the more direct route is very corrugated, can anyone confirm what the road condition is like?

I will certainly be posting a trip report when we back, but thanks in advance for the tips!

Kind regards,
Michael

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Michael,

Your post had me thinking again and want to give you something to take into account. With both suggestions below you will sleep over for one night.

Plan A.

1. If you drive from JHB to Springbok it is a drive of 1 165km and approximately 12,5 hours on the road.
2. Your next days drive will be approximately 363 km to reach De Hoop from Springbok (Springbok - Steinkopf - Port Nolloth - Alexander Bay - Sendelingsdrif - De Hoop) of which 136 km will be gravel (93,5 km gravel to Sendelingsdrif and 42 km from Sendelingsdrif to De Hoop 4x4 country).

Plan B.

1. If you drive from JHB to Upington it will be a drive of 794 km and approximately 9 hours on the road. You can then spent your first night on the banks of the Orange river and have a good rest for the following days drive.
2. Your next days drive will be approximately 745 km to reach De Hoop from Upington ( Upington - Springbok - Port Nolloth - Alexander Bay - Sendelingsdrif - De Hoop) of which 136 km will be gravel (93,5 km gravel to Sendelingsdrif and 42 km to De Hoop 4x4 country).

Maybe I am getting to old for such great distances to drive per day and I presume towing takes a lot of concentration, but I will go for Plan B :D .

I also include a plan of the park for interest sake.

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Michael,

We stay 150 km east of Joburg and on our way to Richtersveld stopped at Augrabies. The distance from Kakamas to Springbok is 290 km and about 150 km further that we travelled. We overnight at Augrabies and still had 2 hours to visit the falls.

Its possible to make Springbok, but rather stop over earlier. This will however results in not being able to reach De Hoop so if you short on time push for Springbok. From Springbok stick to the tar road up to Alexanderbay. Its faster taking the longer route. Its about a 3 - 4 hour drive from Sendelings drift to De Hoop and best to be at Sendelingsdrift by 12 pm.

Remember to fill up in Port Nolloth and take extra fuel along in jerry cans. Only fuel at Sendelingsdrift. Great to see you booked at Kokerboom kloof. On the last day (20 Aug) you will reach Upington by 6 pm only depending on your fuel level (might need to fill up at Sendelingsdrift. Long drive, but then a shorter trip the next day.

Enjoy. Its a great time to visit the park. Think about going across the pontoon if you have passports.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Want to add. Take off your trailer's dolley wheel. It might get bumped of along the mountain pass and bend in the process. Happened to us. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

MichaelS

Unread post by MichaelS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi all, so it's official, we have booked our trip and leave has been approved!

Thanks to many on this forum, we will be taking more time to get down and back so looks as follows:

Aug 6: JHB - Augrabies
Aug 7: Augrabies - Sendelingsdrift
Aug 8 - 11: De Hoop
Aug 12 - 14: Kokerboomkloof

And then we need to look at our trip back which will be over 2 days - any suggestions? Will be looking to exit by Helskloof pass.

MichaelS

Unread post by MichaelS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

Hi All,

As per above post, we have our bookings finalised and we have taken the advice from others on the forum and decided to stay Augrabies and then Sendelingsdrift before going to De Hoop. I really need advice on a route back and I am beginning to toy with the idea of crossing the border and staying a night at Ais Ais and then another night en route back to JHB? Or, if anyone has some options in SA that are really nice that will be evenly spaced out, we will appreciate the advice

Other info I am looking for is the following (tried searching the threads:
- GPS Coordinates for De Hoop and Kokerboomkloof
- Fuel & Wood availability at Sendelingsdrift - is it safer to do this at Alexander Bay?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:36 am

Hi MichaelS,

I'm so glad your trip is planned this far!!!

Have a look here for different GPS coordinates. Just scroll down a bit on the page.

De Hoop S 28 11.021 E 17 10.682

Kokerboom S 28 20.196 E 17 14.982
Kokerboomkloof camping area S 28 18.434 E 17 17.476

Maybe a good idea to print that page and take it with.

Fuel and wood were available last we were there, but maybe best to phone and just confirm. Just confirm the hours the shop and filling station are open too. Last the filling station was not open the whole day.

If you need to shop Port Nolloth is a better option than Allexander Bay. You need to go through security gates at Alexander Bay.

Enjoy your trip and please share your experience with us!! :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

MichaelS

Unread post by MichaelS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:42 am

lion queen wrote:Hi MichaelS,

I'm so glad your trip is planned this far!!!

Have a look here for different GPS coordinates. Just scroll down a bit on the page.

De Hoop S 28 11.021 E 17 10.682

Kokerboom S 28 20.196 E 17 14.982
Kokerboomkloof camping area S 28 18.434 E 17 17.476

Maybe a good idea to print that page and take it with.

Fuel and wood were available last we were there, but maybe best to phone and just confirm. Just confirm the hours the shop and filling station are open too. Last the filling station was not open the whole day.

If you need to shop Port Nolloth is a better option than Allexander Bay. You need to go through security gates at Alexander Bay.

Enjoy your trip and please share your experience with us!! :thumbs_up:

Wow, thanks Lion Queen for the speedy and helpful response. I will certainly print the page and start punching it in to Dorris (GPS).

I will call ahead as per your advice but it seems it may be easier to just do the final shop at Port Nolloth for safety sake and merely "top up" if wood and fuel is available.

My intention is to have a full trip report on this thread post the trip, so keep an eye out but no doubt there will be more questions asked here before we leave.

Thanks again.

Kiki66

Unread post by Kiki66 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi Michael and all,
we also booked our trip to Richtersveld in August and would be grateful for any advice or recommendation on what to consider.
Overall recommendations are that within the park travelling in convoy is recommended. Could you please let us know how to best find other vehicles travelling the same route?
We will be leaving at Frontiers river resort on August 6th towards Sedlingsdrift Rest Camp and plan to travel via C13.
On August 7th we travel towards Tatasberg. We plan to travel via Halfmen`s Pass and Akkredi`s Pass.
From Tatasberg we continue towards Gannakouriep on August 8th via Tatasrivier and from Gannakouriep back to Sendlingsdrift on August 9th.
We also wonder about the following topics:
- road conditions and how long will our travels take
- where to best buy petrol, food an water for the stay
- do we need to bring a mosquito net
Any comment and shared experiences would be highly appreciated.
Kind regards
Kiki

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 am

Hi Kiki66 and a warm welcome to the forum! :gflower: :gflower:

Kiki66 wrote:Hi Michael and all,
we also booked our trip to Richtersveld in August and would be grateful for any advice or recommendation on what to consider.

Overall recommendations are that within the park travelling in convoy is recommended. Could you please let us know how to best find other vehicles travelling the same route?

We've been there alone and did not travel in convoy. During the first part of our drive we did encounter other people either going the same direction as us oor people going in Sendelingsdrift direction. If you really want to travel in convoy, ask at Sendelingsdrift reception whether other guests are also traveling towards Tatasberg

We will be leaving at Frontiers river resort on August 6th towards Sedlingsdrift Rest Camp and plan to travel via C13.
On August 7th we travel towards Tatasberg. We plan to travel via Halfmen`s Pass and Akkredi`s Pass.
From Tatasberg we continue towards Gannakouriep on August 8th via Tatasrivier and from Gannakouriep back to Sendlingsdrift on August 9th.

We also wonder about the following topics:
- road conditions and how long will our travels take Travel time differ, depending on where in the park you are traveling. Have a look here for distances in the park. We traveled large parts @ 15km/h

- where to best buy petrol, food an water for the stay Not sure where you will be staying before Frontiers River Resort?? There is a small shop in Sendelingsdrift as well as a fuel station

- do we need to bring a mosquito net We did not use a mosquito net during our August stay.
Any comment and shared experiences would be highly appreciated.
Kind regards
Kiki

Enjoy your visit to a wonderful park!!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Kiki66

Unread post by Kiki66 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:17 am

Lion Queen,
Thank you for your kind advise and recommendations. We very much look forward to our stay in the park.
All the best
Kiki :)

Return to “Arid Parks”