Skip to Content

Namaqua Park 4x4 route

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Kristoffer

Namaqua Park 4x4 route

Unread post by Kristoffer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:26 am

Namaqua Park 4x4 route

On our way to KTP we will stop at Namaqua Park and we would like to drive the 4x4 route.
I checked the Sanparks website and I cannot find any information about whether this is a one way 4x4 or can I enter the route from both sides, say from the Groen River Office? Is there any preferred direction; we stay at the Skilpat Chalets? And is it possible to cut off half way as it shows on the map?

Thanks for any information

Kristoffer

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua Park 4x4 route

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Have just returned from Namaqua. We stayed at one of the coastal campsites. You can certainly drive the section between Groenriviermond and Hondeklip bay in both directions. We drove from south to north but also observed others driving south. The main sand road is a single track but there are passing bays. There are also a lot of side loops and tracks that you can take.

I should warn you though that this road isn't a quick road, it is pretty corrugated and sandy in places. We had out tyres at 1.2bar for the whole section. If you intend to take some of the side loops to really see the park then it could take you quite a few hours.

As for what the 4x4 road is after Hondeklip bay i cannot say but i would imagine that it would take quite a lot longer. I would also guess that it is also 2 way.

Best of luck.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”