Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Kalahari Tented Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
el viajero

Re: Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread post by el viajero » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement. :)

The problem is that my parents come with this time and my mother doesn't sleep when there is even a tiny chance of an animal coming close. In Kruger, Etosha and Madikwe we told her that nothing can cross the fences. As long nobody else mentioned the truth everything was OK. It didn't work in a private game reserve adjacent to Etosha as we saw the lion tracks in front of our bungalows one morning... :whistle:

The other problem is that we are bound to take leave during a plant shutdown and the Kalahari Tent Camp was the only one available that would suit us.

Looking like we have to postpone it and then do it without any family because our oldest daughter is worse than my mother :shock:

El Viajero

Aristocat

Unread post by Aristocat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi El vi

Just wanted to let you know that we had a spotted hyena on our tent verandah at Lower Sabi - being fully electrified etc. We have stayed at KTC with our son at age 2 for 3 consecutive years and never once felt unsafe!

The Kalahari awaits you!

Aristocat

el viajero

Unread post by el viajero » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Aristocat,

I hope my mother lost interest in reading the answers, otherwise I never get her to go to Africa again.

Luckily she never was there when we had a close encounter, e.g. a pofadder in front of our bedroom in a house bordering Agulhas. For me that was more scary then some predators.

We'll make it one day to the park.

El viajero

Aristocat

Unread post by Aristocat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi el vi

As KG says the bushmen saying goes that there is something in the red sand of the kalahari which just keeps calling you back!!! We have booked our fourth year in a row now for march 2012. That is the most wonderful time to visit the Green Kalahari!! I am sure you will visit soon. :dance: :dance:

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 am

As KG says the bushmen saying goes that there is something in the red sand of the kalahari which just keeps calling you back!!!

Yes and this is a Kalahari MMS - constantly calling me back from my office desk :D :

In love with God's creation

myles

Unread post by myles » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Snap !!

Can't wait to get back to the tented camp - will be there early Jan 2012. One of the most relaxing and special places of all time.

Cheers

Myles

cpvisser

Re: Kgalagadi: Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread post by cpvisser » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi, I have never been to KTC but if I understand correctly the numbering system of the tents are like this:

Regards,
Charles

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

:thumbs_up: you understood correctly :D
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

White Rhino

Unread post by White Rhino » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:27 am

Finally, phase two of my Kgalagadi trip has been successful. Was able to book for 5 nights at the KTC for a family tent October 2012 school holidays. I literally can not focus on any work. Next step is to pay the deposit to confirm the booking.

Is pre-booking allowed of the tents, and who do I speak to? Which family tent has a good view of the waterhole?

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 am

@White Rhino.

Unfortunately we cannot pre-book a unit although nothing stops you from forwarding a request and then it can be submitted and see if they can allocate the requested units.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

geraas
Location: My hart le in die rooi duine van die Kalahari. Jozi...Ex.Nelspruit

Unread post by geraas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 pm

328 days to go until.....Projek Rooiduin.... :wall:

Reflecting on a past visit to KTC Sept '10 we witnessed several (>12) jackal take down a fully grown springbok near the waterhole in the evening. What amazed me was how efficient these small predators are, also how quickly and quietly they finished off their prize.

"Rant on"
Maybe a bit OT but reading previous posts it really irks me when a handfull of tourists keep on breaking the laws by feeding animals in our National Parks, the idea that these animals will eventually be destroyed as they become habituated to humans leaves a true feeling of sadness and to a certain extent helplesness :cry:
"Rant off"

lindah

Unread post by lindah » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi
Going to be in Kalahari for 4 nights in March just booked so lucky to get in. I'm trying to find any info on electricity in tents for charging batteries. Anyone know?
Also can change 2 nights to Mata Mata but not sure which is best camp as it's our first time here, usually go to KNP.
The only camps I could get are 1st night Mata Mata 2nd & 3rd nights Twee then 4 nights Kalahari.
Thanks for any help.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi Lindah,

No electricity in any of the wilderness camps. Lights and fans are solar powered.

You'll need either a battery system in your vehicle ( those used for the camping fridges) or you'll have to get an inverter to use in your vehicle while driving to charge batteries.

If all these fail ask the attendant whether he knows of any one in camp that would be so nice and charge your batteries for you.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

lindah

Unread post by lindah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks Lion Queen
Just another probably silly but somewhat relevant question that popped into my head in the middle of the night. How do you get to the swimming pool without becoming a predators dinner?

judik

Unread post by judik » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 am

Just another probably silly but somewhat relevant question that popped into my head in the middle of the night.

That happens to me all the time!
Linda-you can drive and then park next to the pool if you are worried
The carpark is enclosed at your tent by a fence and gate
My husband and I drove the car because we were in the honeymoon tent and it is furthest away from reception and the pool
Some accommodations are very close to the pool
It is a very nice pool btw
9/10/16 TR
10/10-12 Nossob
12/10-14 KTC
14/10-15 KK
15/10-16 MM
16/10 Urikaruus
17/10 KK

Return to “Arid Parks”