Skip to Content

Kgalagadi in Nov-Dec

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
korshinab

Kgalagadi in Nov-Dec

Unread post by korshinab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi, i getting closer to depart date to KTP, i just would like to ear from somebody who has been there in the hot season few tips.
I was thinking of course drive from one camp to another one early in the morning, apart when i drive from Gharagab to Bitter pan ,collecting key at Nossob ,the second part it will be in the heat of the day.....
I do not have air con, in the car, or i have, but i will not use it cause is old 4x4 and is not working so well...
Then i am always thinking about when i use to live in Sudan with 50 degree in summer: But i was 25 years youger......
Korshinab :x :D

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Kgalagadi in Nov-Dec

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Korshinab,

We try and do a morning drive to return to camp at the very latest by 11h30 and then do an afternoon drive from 15h30 till gate closing.

Take a nice cool shower in camp and wet a towel till damp put that on your bed and we take afternoon naps on those damp towels. It is very nice.

Then we buy grapes in town before we leave for the park and freeze these and keep them for the whole trip in the freezer. Natures own ice lollies!!! they defrost very quick and you can eat the defrosted if you want, but I put them in zip lock backs and take out a handful in the heat and eat them as lollies.

When driving we take a washcloth (yes I know very old fashioned!!!) with, that I wet and wipe my face and neck while driving. The wind blowing in through the window is turned into a nice aircon feeling!!!

You'll survive I'm very sure, just try and stay out of the sun during midday!!!

Enjoy your trip, many great sightings!!! :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Div

Unread post by Div » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Make sure you drink more than enough water during your midday trip.Enjoy!

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 pm

korshinab,

Are you going this year? We will be there for the first 2 weeks in Dec.

My packing list includes tiny fans and water spray bottles, plenty of water and cooldrink mix to make ice lollies. To cool down I will swimming late morning were possible, but not over midday. Otherwise a shower works well.

Remember to pack enough sunblock and light clothing.

Our driving tactics are the same as lion queen, but normally return before 11 am and going out at 5:30. In the afternoon we will return after 7 pm.

We will also visit Gharagab and have no definite plans as I have not stayed there before. Thought of having breakfast at camp and leave at 8 - 9 pm, returning around 5 pm, sleeping in the shade at Lijersdraai and Unions End.

If you lucky you may experience a few thunderstorms resulting in rather pleasant weather below 35 deg C along the river. The dune area can be very hot and best avoided from 10 am - 5 pm.

Also pack something warm in case of rain, when night temperature can be chilly, but not freezing.

For the dune drive you need to check for seeds and grass building up underneath the chassis. I will rather take the risk to check than being stranded in any case without a car if it burns out. You can use a seed net, but that will not prevent build-up below the car from the "middelmannetjie" (centre line between the two spoors on a jeep track).

I've done the routes in summer and had no issues, but also heard of people that were left stranded after the vehicle burned out, so its just to play safe. Maybe early summer the grass is not that long and it will not be a great concern.

Enjoy your trip and maybe we will meet in KTP. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

BTB

Weather

Unread post by BTB » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Have been to KTFP a number of times in winter - can any member please give me some idea of what to expect in November - hot I guess - rainy season ?
Many thanks.
BTB

Barb15584

Re: Weather

Unread post by Barb15584 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:16 pm

We were in KNP for the month of November, 2014, and we had a mixed bag, from fairly cool to quite hot, with very little rain. I do not know if this is typical. We had never had such phenominal sightings on previous visits as we had on this particular trip. I wish you the same luck.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:26 am

Dear BTB,

Also have a look at the existing topic in the Kgalagadi index Here under the heading: Topics on the weather in KTP for additional information :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

BTB

Unread post by BTB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 am

Thank you all for the advice.
Regards.

Return to “Arid Parks”