Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: wilderness camps - General

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
mr_m

KIELIEKRANKIE and URIKARUUS

Unread postby mr_m » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:10 pm

KIELIEKRANKIE and URIKARUUS are truly amazing. we stayed for a night at each....in the dead cold of winter. Kieliekrankie was freezing. the wind was blowing the whole night but the scenery is amazing. Full moon with just red dunes around you. Urikaruus was my favourite. in the riverbed of the AUOB. Hyenas and Giraffe came to drink at the little waterhole right in front of our cabin. The wardens on duty are helpful and tells you all about the spoor around your little cabin.....scary to see what was crawling around you when it when it was dark. these camps are worth it! Well equipted with everything you need and the silence is awesome.

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 am

Hi Penny.
Kieliekrankie has an access road that takes you away from the main road. The entrance to this road does have a sign stating that it is only available to reserved guests. As I mentioned, peoples' curiosity, and manners, overcome them, and they drive to the camp to go and have a look. I think Kieliekrankie has a bigger problem concerning this because it is the closest wilderness camp to Twee Rivieren and this area is busier that say the Nossob area.
We even had people who walk through the sheltered entrance right to our door, talking at the top of their voices. I believe they thought nobody home and they are going to have a quick peek at the unit. They got a bit of a surprise when my SO opened the door.
Also had people with a CAW registration number (George) who came in to have there breakfast picnic at the camp. The rest of the people merely drove it and out.
We did complain about this at Twee Rivieren. They told us that they do allow people to go and have a look, but on pre-arrangement.
But Penny, this was a small irritation compared to the positives this camp offer and I will most definitely return to it.

Concerning best units: Kieliekrankie- nr.4, Kalahari Tented Camp - nr.6 (for view of waterhole, honeymoon unit for peace and quiet), Gharagab and Grootkolk - all the units have nice views

markw

Unread postby markw » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:01 pm

Stayed at both Kieliekrankie & Urikarus in july 2005. Both camps are great. As reported here, Kieliekrankie is at the top of a dune and has a fantastic view out over the desert. Gives you a great feeling of space and isolation. Accomodation standards really good. The camp looks over a waterhole - only saw jackals and steenbok coming to drink. But the best part is starting on a game drive early in the morning and late in the afternoon far from the crowds - you have this area of the park to yourself early in the am and late in the pm. Saw brown hyena in the dune road late on the way to camp.

Urikarus siting is fantastic - has its own waterhole close to the tents - saw giraffe drinking, wildebeest, springbok from the veranda. Again accomodation great. But we (wife and I)absolutely froze at night (the kids didn't feel it) - the tents "leak" cold air. So take lots of warm clothes in winter + hot water bottles (saved us). Again, you have this area to yourself on early morning and late afternoon game drives. Saw cheetah on the way to camp.

Would stay in both again.

Pikasso
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooiputs camping: how does it work?

Unread postby Pikasso » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 am

Hello everybody!

Maybe the answer is somewhere here already, but I could not find it.
Having been a few times to the KTP already, we never saw anybody in the campring at Roiiputs.
So I was wondering:
- Do you stay there alone at night?
- Where do you book?
- How much does it cost?
- If you camp there, can you stay by the waterhole after sunset?

And any information you could think of ...

Thanks guys!
Gone... Our pics here: http://www.wildlions.eu

guagu

Re: Roiiputs camping: how does it work?

Unread postby guagu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:01 am

Hello Picasso

Wasn't there till now. We will visit Rooiputs and Polentswa in May 2009.
I have booked both places by DWNP in Gabarone Bots.
dwnp.parrogabs@gov.bw, fax +267 3180775
It cost you 200Pula for a couple for one night, entry fee and campsite.
Friends told us that there is no facilities, only pure nature...and i hope that we are alone...nothing is fenced, just you and the wilderness. I think you have to be at the campsite by sunset....but nobody will control it....so if we are back 24. May 2009 i can answer all your questions.

Pikasso
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pikasso » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks Guagu!
We will wait for your report then!
Will you stay in a tent? Is it a big one? Were you given instructions regarding lions ?

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Caracal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Pikasso

Getting brave are we ..
Many people opt for the rooftop tent situation...probably a lot safer that way. I know Bigal camped in Rooiputs and Polentswa ...maybe you should pm him. I am sure he can answer many questions for you. I know he needed the bathroom one night but had to stay put in his tent because the lions were visiting :
Could be quite an adventure...I guess we will camp at Rooiputs one day. I will probably spend the entire night sitting in Monty..probably be too excited to even think about sleep
Remember you have to be totally self sufficient... there is no running water etc. There is a chemical long drop toilet and a shower stall ...but you will have to take your own bag of shower water to hang up in the shower stall !!!
Let us know how you get on !!!

Pikasso
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rooiputs camping: how does it work?

Unread postby Pikasso » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks Caracal!

It seems so tempting to stay alone in the dark with the lions and the leopards and the CHEETAHS!

By the way, how do you get to Rooiputs these days with the road closed?

PS: I couldn't find the meaning of "Monty" ... I have a little idea though : ...

Siwet

Re: Rooiputs camping: how does it work?

Unread postby Siwet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Good day Pikasso..
I went to Rooiputs lastyear in september and it was really nice. There is only 6 basic A frames where u stay. The bathroom facilities is a Longdrop and a shower with no water, but you can go to Twee Rivieren to have a nice shower. I don't no about staying at the waterhole after sunset. I will definily go to rooiputs again in my next trip to KTP. The evenings is the best, you can't hear any people because the camping spots are a distance from each ather, so its only you and the sound of nature.

HS

Mabuasehube

Unread postby HS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 am

I have managed to make our booking at Mabuasehube and received my confirmation via e-mail. We are booked at Mabuasehube pan (KTMAB01). I have received a map from them and it states "shade, pit latrines, showers" but the reservation agent says there are NO facilities. Can someone please clear this up for me.
We will be going in Dec 09 after staying a couple of nights in KTP. We intend to exit towards Tshabong and McCarthysrus. Info please from someone that has done the similar route. You could PM or e-mail me direct.
Thanks
Helen

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mabuasehube

Unread postby afri-explore » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Helen,

Mabua pan sites may have cold water for the shower. Sometimes the supply may be problematic and it may run dry. As far as I know the facilities does state water available.

Prepare for the worst. The facilities includes an A-frame shade shelter, a shower cubicle and a long-drop toilet and of course a braai place. Rather bring your water and bring own drinking water as the pans are salt pans and the water may be brakkish.

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batsman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 am

Hi Helen,
your booking agent is right. AFAIK site 01 has no facilities, site 02 & 03 share facilities but are close to the waterhole, site 04 has facilities.

Bear in mind that the mentioned facilities are very rustic. Longdrop toilet and a small shower.

We've been at site 04 for the first time in an unfenced camp and loved it.

HS

Unread postby HS » Mon May 25, 2009 7:46 am

We are now booked at Mabua04. Is this the best site, or are one of the other pans better? I have to make payment on my booking by the end of the week and would like to know if I should change it to one of the other pans.

What do you do, if you find lions camping under your A-frame? Do you just wait it out.....

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 am

Friends of mine were treated to a visit by lions there , they spent half an hour at sunrise watching the camp with the people peering at them through the slits of the tent zip .
During the night the neighbouring campers left their plastic drinking water jerry cans outside instead of putting them out of the lions reach on top of the vehicle , they had to battle it out without much water for the next days , although they were donated a small amount .
The lions enjoyed some fresh water after destroying the containers , it seems the lions are getting rather too used to people .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Mon May 25, 2009 10:44 pm

The rules of camping in unfenced camp sites is whatever you take out of the vehicle you put back when you retire for the night and that includes your bag of gabbage - not on the roof either as the 'cats" can get to that, but in your vehicle.
Result is, we sleep in a roof top tent and not in a ground tent.

Return to “Arid Parks”