Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: road conditions and car

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
billy65

Kgalagadi: road conditions and car

Unread post by billy65 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Next December we will be at the Kgalagadi Park (Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob). How are the road conditions? According to your opinion, the most suitable car is a 4x4 or 2x4? Thank you all.

yvo

Re: Kgalagadi: road conditions and car

Unread post by yvo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello billy65,
You are very lucky Kgalagadi is a very nice place !
I think that a 2x4 is ok for Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob.
Enjoy !
yvo

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:25 pm

There is no way of knowing what the road conditions will be like next December (do you mean 2015 or 2016?), as a lot depends on rainfall, grading, etc.

Unless you intend staying at one of the 2 Wilderness Camps accessible by 4x4 only (Bitterpan and Gharagab), you will manage in a 2x4 vehicle. Having said that, high ground clearance is preferable and tough suspension. People do manage in sedan cars or small hatchbacks, though. We go in a 4x4 bakkie and that copes fine. Remember, too, that you will have a lot of luggage - water, food, firewood, etc., so a large vehicle is preferable for that.

The roads are all dirt roads and can have very bad corrugations. Some of the roads have very high banks at the sides, so height is a good idea for game viewing. You should deflate your tyres at Twee Rivieren on arrival and pump up again on your way home.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

cruisa

Unread post by cruisa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:05 pm

We are just back from our fourth visit at KTP and never before we saw the roads as sandy as this year. Especially around Mata Mata and Nossob we saw cars getting stuck in the sand. All of them were 2x4 with the range from Polo to SUV and Minibus.
As we had never problems before in a 2x4 we also had one for this visit and sometimes we could not stop at sightings because of the soft sand.

As Hippotragus wrote already, this can change with some rain, but to be on the safe side I would recommend a 4x4.

Enjoy KTP!
Cruisa

Edit: Just want to add that this was our only issue. Besides this it was our best trip ever and we encountered cats nearly every day close by :)
Looking forward to KTP - Sep 2015

billy65

Unread post by billy65 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:00 am

Thank you very much. We will rent a 4x4. I think it is better! Do you have other tipe for us?

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 am

billy65 wrote:Thank you very much. We will rent a 4x4. I think it is better! Do you have other tipe for us?

Hi Billy65,

A warm welcome to the SANParks Forum! :clap:

Using a 4x4 can be advantageous, since the roads can become quite corrugated due to traffic volume and visitors not adhering to the recommended speeds and the wrong tyre pressure!

Deflate tyres to 1,5 bar to make driving over the corrugated roads more comfortable. Limit further corrugation by driving in 4×4. I always say slow goes best, you can expect to cover about 25 kilometres an hour on average and even less if you stop frequently to view and photograph animals, Billy65.

billy65

Unread post by billy65 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:37 pm

I will drive very slowly and I'll be very careful . I hope to have beautiful sightings. Thank you.

Div

Unread post by Div » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Enjoy and have a great time!

Take your time especially around and near waterholes.

Return to “Arid Parks”