Skip to Content

L-42

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
AFRICAT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

L-42

Unread post by AFRICAT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 pm

wanderw, Scouter, anne-marie, p@m, and AstroMatt - my sincere thanks to each of you for your infectious enthusiasm…I need your help once again please.

I'm trying to ID the leopards we've seen over the years, and would like to verify whether or not this is Tswana. These were taken in Oct. 2009 on the upper dune road at the waterhole that is set back off the road that you can drive down to ( I don't my map right now). She had a cub with her, so I would be interested to see if it can be ID'd as well. If this is her, it is 2 years earlier than previously reported, so perhaps she can be ID'd as the mom of another of our cherished KTP leopards. Again, my sincere thanks to each of you who are so gracious to do the footwork in this endeavor.

Mom: Tswana

Cub: L-42

(Yikes, the pics look a bit too large...let me know if I need to re-do them)

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by AstroMatt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks AFRICAT for the posts. You are 100% correct that it is Tswana! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
It's a great sighting for the project as we now have a much better (but still very rough) age for her.
The cub however i can't ID...sorry. But it does mean that he/she is a new leopard for the guide, which is great :D

Thanks so much and looking forward to seeing any other sightings you have :D
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by wanderw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

@AFRICAT - Thank you for posting! :thumbs_up: Fantastic sighting of Tswana and her previous cub - a newbie for the guide AND this thread! :dance:
Looking forward to seeing your other sightings! :D
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”