Skip to Content

Namaqua park accessible only by 4x4?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Wildkyker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Namaqua park accessible only by 4x4?

Unread postby Wildkyker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi all. I need some advice. It will be my first time visiting Namaqua park. We will be staying at Skilpad camp. I have a sedan and wil only be able to do the 6km drive at Skilpad. The rest of the park is only accessible with 4x4. Is there any way for me to see the rest of the park? :hmz: Is there a 4x4 car hire anywhere near by? :hmz: Any drives one can book in the park? :hmz: Any ideas? :pray: :pray: Thanx

Parkfanatic

Re: Namaqua park accessible only by 4x4?

Unread postby Parkfanatic » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I just returned today from the Namaqua park today. You will be able to drive some of the roads with a standard vehicle around the Skilpad section of the park. The other sections and those closer to the coast are definately 4x4 only.
I have to say however that I would not want to drive even the Skilpad section with a sedan vehicle.... the roads are rough. I particular the road to the gate (17km's) is very rutted and corrugated. I went in a Ford Ranger 4x2 and was cursing the whole way.
I terms of hiring a vehicle you can do this in Upington and Cape Town and I have heard of a company in Calvinia that also hires out 4x4's.
The Skilpad huts are the best I have stayed in, in any SANpark.
I dont believe there are drive facilities (night or sunset etc). ... remember this is a very new park in development. They are making great strides but its still in its infancy.

Hawk
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hawk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi Wildkyker, if you do get a 4x4 vehicle and do the full drive, keep in mind that it's quite a long drive with not many other cars on the road. If you are not an experienced 4x4 driver remember that the coastal stretch is very soft sand, so I would suggest very low tyre pressures for that bit and maybe also taking sand ladders and extra drinking water. Take an air compressor that as well to avoid driving all the way back to the camp on low pressure tyres.
Verba volant scripta manent

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Very useful map for getting to the park.

On our first visit to the park we took the back route thanks to our Garmin. It was lovely and scenic, but very long and through mountain passes.

Wildkyker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wildkyker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 am

Hi Guys
Thanx for you replies. It looks like I am going to have to settle with the Skilpad side of the park.
Mybe just maybe I can take a Sunset drive along with a Sanpark vehicle.
Looking forward to the chalets Parkfanatic, they look just great.
I have no experience in 4x4 Hawk so I will not try yet. Thanx
Dinkybird I will use the map,thanx.

Return to “Arid Parks”