Skip to Content

Namaqua Flowers 2015

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
vhimste

Namaqua Flowers 2015

Unread postby vhimste » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi All,

It is hard to find information on the winter rains and any predictions on the 2015 flower season. I know there used to be some websites following this up and a flower hotline, but i do not find this for 2015.

Can anyone point to some information about this?

tx
Peter

DinkyBird

Re: Namaqua Flowers 2015

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Peter

The Park Manager sent an email to the SHRs this weekend and gave the following info:

" I think it is safe to say that the flowers will be a bit more unpredictable this year than other years, mainly because of the late rains. Our first good rains fell on 02 June 2015. Although the rains were late it was quite good, with 90.93mm measured at Skilpad for June 2015. The whole region received very good rains, with some areas in the mountains measuring over 200mm rainfall in June.

The general feeling is that the flowers will show a bit later, probably only from end of July, but that it may be a good season.

Currently there is a sprinkling of flowers in the area, particularly Oxalis species, and then there are carpets of green foliage covering the ground- hopefully these are all flowers in the making! "

vhimste

Unread postby vhimste » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi, tx for the swift reply !!

We are visiting The Northern and Western cape quite late for the flower season (mid to end of September), so the later the flowers the better :-) I hope there are still some flowers in bloom by then. Do you know 'in general' how long most flowers stay in bloom ? Is it like one or two weeks or longer? I realize that there is a peak period where every species is at its 'top' but for how long are at least some of them in bloom ...

Exactly 2 months from now we arrive in Upington ... counting down :dance:

Chakra

Unread postby Chakra » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Peter,
I also received that e-mail which was very kindly forwarded to me by the guest house owner at Kamieskroon, where I ma planning to stay. I have been in regular touch with people, mostly the owners of the accommodations where I plan to stay over the west coast & Cedarberg area. At one point folks in Clanwilliam were quite worried about their flower festival as they hardly had any rain. But ovr the last couple of weeks places like Citrusdal, Clanwiliam and even interior of Karoo have seen some rain. So with fingers crossed we should have a decent display although I doubt very much if this would be a bumper year.
A fair amount of rain is predicted over the next week so that should help.
I think as rains are late so you have a better chance this year to see them so late in the season.

Have a look here. They have practically all the info there including the flower Hotline number.

http://www.capewestcoast.org/news/news_ ... ews_id=197

They also regularly post flower updates through August.

Cheers.

NadiaL
Guru
Guru

Namaqua Flowers 2015

Unread postby NadiaL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi all

We had some further good rains the past weekend, with the first winter snow on the Kamiesberg. More rain is predicted later this week. We have had cool, cloudy weather for most of the past weeks. We actually need a few sunny days now to get the plants growing properly. We expect the flowers to be a bit later than usual, probably from around the first week of August, and with the right conditions to last a bit longer than usual.

The whole Namaqua area is green, but the plants at Skilpad are not flowering yet. Towards Soebatsfontein the vygies in particular are starting to flower though. The occasional daisy and Varkiesknol (Conicosia sp) is coming out with nice spots of yellow Oxalis sp. at Skilpad.

At the coastal area in the park (Groen river to Spoeg river) there are quite a bit of vygies already flowering, particularly Volstruis vygies. This is normal for the Namaqua coastline, where mist adds moisture additional to any rain. Please note that the coastal section of Namaqua NP can only be visited with a 4x4.

Rainfall at Skilpad:
June 2015: 90.93mm
July 2015 (to date): 37.84mm

It should be noted that it is very difficult to predict with certainty what the flowers would be like and that we can only guess based on current weather conditions.

Kind regards
Bernard van Lente (Namaqua NP - Park Manager)

vhimste

Unread postby vhimste » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi, tx for the update !

I have another question. During our SA trip we have one day leaving in the morning from Springbok to our next stop near Garies. Aim is to visit Namaqua National Park and see some flowers :P . We drive a non-4x4 car (type Nissan quasqai).

The most common track would be to follow the N7 to Kamieskroon and then to go to the Skilpad & Namaqua NP offices and get a map to walk or drive through a section of the nearby landscape.

But on google Maps i also see a possible track leaving Springbok on the R355 and take a turn near BuffelsRivier and drive up to Komaggas (that also has a NP Tourist office ?) and then through the park to Kamieskroon.

Is that a good idea, or would you advice against it not driving a 4x4 (or getting lost :shock: )

Tx
Peter

alidamaria

Unread postby alidamaria » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 am

We are awaiting updates on the flowers in your region. We are planning to come and visit and would really like a update. thanks. Alida

vhimste

Unread postby vhimste » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Today i saw the first pictures of fields full of flowers near Springbok on the facebook page of the 'Namaqua flowers' group. Seems like everything exploded there. Hope this lasts another month !! Probably more chance to see the flowers more to the south (Clanwilliam, Langebaan ...) Counting down ... :D

Chakra

Unread postby Chakra » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Yes, I also saw that post which was originally posted by Kleinplasie Guesthouse, Springbok.

Spectacular to say the least. With a bit of luck and rain this should last for a few weeks. Getting very excited !!!
If the link works here is a treat :

https://www.facebook.com/16043470064681 ... =1&theater

Chakra

Unread postby Chakra » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Latest update from Sanparks in case you have missed that. Pretty encouraging.

>>>>>The Namaqua National Park Flower Report - 11 August 2015

We have had some warm days the past week and the Skilpad area suddenly came to life. It is currently looking good for the remainder of the season, particularly if we get more rain.

The lower lying areas of the park, in particular Soebatsfontein, Kookfontein and the Wildeperdehoek area is looking incredible and is the best this area has been for many a year. A multitude of species is flowering all at once, with vygies and beetle daisies being very noticeable. These particular areas are accessible on gravel roads of average condition- but is worth the drive.

The coastal area in the park (Groen river to Spoeg river) is looking better and better. Visitors are guaranteed of viewing good flowers, particularly vygies, in this area. Please note that the coastal section of Namaqua NP can only be visited with a 4x4.

The Caracal Ecoroute in Namaqua National Park is definitely the way to go at this stage when visiting the park. Visitors will see a wide variety of flowers, from the mountains to the coast. It is essential to get the guide booklet at one of our offices if you intend doing this route. The route takes all day and a 4x4 is essential due to some sandy stretches along the coast.

Around the park there are reports of very good flowers at Spoeg river and Wallekraal, and along the Hondeklip Bay road and Groen river road.

Rainfall at Skilpad:

June 2015 90.93mm
July 2015 52.32mm
August 2015 (to date) 1.02mm <<<<<<<<

barryels

Unread postby barryels » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Always be humble and understanding

HawkI007

Unread postby HawkI007 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 am

The flowers are amazing this year - we stayed in Kamieskroon and then travelled into the park - you can see some of the other pics here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 433&type=3
Augrabies National Falls 22 Aug
Kamieskroon 23,24,25 Aug
Tatasberg 26,27,28 Aug
Augrabies National Falls 29 Aug
Kalahari Tented camp 30,31 Aug
Urikaruus 1,2,3 Sep
Gharagab 4,5, Sep
Twee Rivieren 6 Sep

Return to “Arid Parks”