Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Gharagab Wilderness Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Duke Ellieton

Re: Kgalagadi: Gharagab Wilderness Camp

Unread post by Duke Ellieton » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 am

I think that should be OK Sylvia.

I do not see a problem with checking in for Gharagab when you passing through Nossob. It maybe different if you entering for the first time through Kaa.

You can ask Kgalagadi Guru by PM

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

@ Silvia.n

As per your request, you are more than welcome to book in at Nossob for Gharagab three days before. There would be no problem.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Morkel777
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Morkel777 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 am

Loved staying in this camp for 2 nights...just sit and relax and take in the bush.

I was able to negotiate the "4x4" route with a Nissan X-trail 4WD vehicle which does not have a low range gear option... :D
Planning the next trip already...

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 am

Hi everyone
Gharagab seems to be a good option for us for our trip in 2013, wanted to only do KK and Urikaruus, but we will have to go up north for variety in driving.

However, I see the setup is much the same as Bitterpan. We stayed there in 2006 and it was the most uncomfortable sleep I ever had. The beds are the size of hostel beds (Smaller than singles) and the mattresses were so hollow that you had to crawl out in the morning (EINA my back was off!) :(

Is this the same situation at Gharagab? When looking at the pictures it seems the same setup.

Any info from anyone who visited recently?

wildc

Unread post by wildc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 am

Hi, was at Gharagab in November for the first time. Firstly, there is a lot of chat here as to the need for a 4x4. Although i was in a 4x4, i would confidently do the route in a 2x4, or indeed any vehicle with a fairly high ground clearance.
The route to the camp is a one way track, so its one way in, one way out. If you are considering staying for more than one night, bear in mind that should you want to go for a drive during the day, you will have to drive on the track back towards the main road, then south towards Nossob or north towards unions end. Your vehicle will get scratched by the thorn trees at the sides of the track.
The camp itself is in a lovely location overlooking a water hole which is about 30m away from the chalets. You will find similarities with other wilderness camps especially Grootkolk. The beds were not an issue for me, i always sleep well in KTP though.
In terms of game, there were plenty of Springbok drinking, a solitary female lion and lots of birdlife. Would i go again? most certainly, but i think i would do it in conjunction with two or three nights at Grootkolk. Its a fair drive from Nossob to Grootkolk, so if you want to explore this area of the park, take my advise, book Grootkolk for two or three nights then one maybe two at Gharagab.

Whatever you decide you will love this area of the park.

Cheers
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle
Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)

BDM CAPE TOWN

Unread post by BDM CAPE TOWN » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi All, and a gr8 New Year to you!

We have friends heading to Gharagab next week, what are the track grass levels like this time of year?
Is a seed net a good idea?
Any other recent update on the track and camp would also be good.

Many thanks
B

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi BDM
A seed trap is always a good idea! I have seen too many burnt out vehicles on those type of roads... :shock: We were in the park in April and the grass was VERY long ... but I'm sure Jannie will be able to give you a better answer on the current state of the veld.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi there BDM,

Luckily the grass is not that high this time of the year to cause any problem BUT we don’t know if we might get some more rain which can change the situation.

As Kingfisha said it is always good to have a seed trap on hand. Rather be safe than sorry

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:08 pm

BDM CAPE TOWN wrote:Hi All, and a gr8 New Year to you!

We have friends heading to Gharagab next week, what are the track grass levels like this time of year?
Is a seed net a good idea?
Any other recent update on the track and camp would also be good.

Many thanks
B

I have just got back from Gharagab. The grass in the "middel-mannetjie" is very low. It should not be a problem at all.

William

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 am

We have just got back home after a lovely week at Gharagab (three nights), Grootkolk (one night) and Gharagab (two more nights).

The main reason for going to Gharagab was because I grew up on a farm that was in the Kalahari, so I wanted to go “home” for a while. Any animals we saw would be a bonus.
I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) on this forum that Gharagab was/is not considered to be one of the places to go in KTP – particularly in terms of game-viewing, so I was not expecting too much. I also understand that everything changes with the seasons and the rainfall – what applies today might not apply next week. The luck of the draw is always a factor, as we were to find out at Grootkolk.

The drive in from Union’s End is really lovely, and the time of day and time of year will affect this too. It is true that this part of the drive could easily be undertaken in any two-wheel drive vehicle with 200mm plus ground clearance – as long as you don’t mind risking one or two scratches. However, I agree with Jumbo’s first post on this thread – the road out of Gharagab is a little more daunting.

Image_IGP3082 by William Walker500, on Flickr
Last edited by WWalker on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:59 am

The point of Gharagab, I think, is to treat it like a twenty-four hour hide. Forget about all your previous “Game Reserve Habits” and stay put! The quiet and isolation are worth the price alone and the views from the “tower” at the back of the camp can offer spectacular views.

Image_IGP3096 by William Walker500, on Flickr
Last edited by WWalker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:08 am

We quickly settled into a routine that went something like this; up at sunrise and stay on the deck until it became too hot – around nine o’ clock. The views from the deck can also be pretty good – even without animals.

Image_IGP3108-2 by William Walker500, on Flickr

We would then have breakfast, followed by a shower and a snooze with occasional checks to see if anything was happening at the waterhole.
Last edited by WWalker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 am

At about two ‘o clock the shade starts to appear on the deck again and it gradually becomes more pleasant until about five ‘o clock, when it becomes fantastic. (Before I left, I asked the forum if it was necessary to take a beach-umbrella and was told not to worry – not good advice, I’m afraid - there is no shelter.)

Next time I go I will make some arrangement to have shade on the deck to extend the midday viewing hours. Also, the chairs provided are not that great - so good deck chairs will also be packed next time!

Black-backed Jackal were constant visitors - there must have been at least five different animals that came and went through the day.

Image_IGP3131 by William Walker500, on Flickr

But, there are all kinds of things to keep one interested!

Image_IGP3196 by William Walker500, on Flickr
Last edited by WWalker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 am

One of our "occasional checks", at 11:30 in the hot morning, provided us with this view...

Image_IGP3205 by William Walker500, on Flickr
He/She then came down to the water for a drink.

Image_IGP3210 by William Walker500, on Flickr
Last edited by WWalker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:06 am

At 04:50 the entire camp shook with the unforgettable sound of a lion roaring. This sound was immediately followed by the sound of eight pairs of feet hitting four different creaking floors! We were all onto our decks in a flash. This fellow came down for a drink.

Image_IGP3152 by William Walker500, on Flickr
Last edited by WWalker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Arid Parks”