Skip to Content

Augrabies Falls NP: Advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
ulysses

Augrabies, Klipspringer trail

Unread post by ulysses » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:22 am

hey, i wondered it i could get some advice from anybody who knows some detail on the klipspringer trail hike.

Firstly, i am not a regular hiker so im not 100% sure of equipment to buy etc.
From the website it is not completely clear what the terrain will be and the weather conditions at augrabies.
I will be hiking at the end of April (+- 27th), so what range of temperatures should i be expecting at this time during the day and evening?
Also what type of terrain will i be hiking on, is it rocky and sand? So do i really need boots or can i get away with hiking tekkies?
Also is it necessary to bring a small stove or are the facilities at the huts adequate?

any info would be much appreciated

Bannavdm

Unread post by Bannavdm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

I hiked the trail twice and I hope this would help. The terrain is rocky (Day 1 and 3)and sand (Riverbank and dry riverbed - Day 2) so boots would be the best choice here. Also it protects you better agains snakes and scorpions (not that I have seen any, but they are there)
The daily temps would be nice and hot, but evenings could get cold so take warm clothing for nighttime.
They've got nice huts (Stonebuilt) with bunkers and thick mattresses.
"Showers" are out in the open and cold water only (You actually "shower" from a watercart that stands on slightly higher terrain - Day 1 and from a watertank at groundlevel day 2 and there is no protection from prying eyes....)

Facilities at the huts are braais only (with wood and grids)Take your stove with for coffee etc

I've got some nice photos that i can send you to show you what the huts, showers, braais etc look like if you want to send me your email addy.

This is a very nice trail, but make sure your waterbottles are big enough to last you for a whole days hiking as there are no refilling available along the way (Only at the huts)
Elephants are modest, they bathe with their trunks...

ulysses

Unread post by ulysses » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Cool, thanks for the response.
Dont worry about the pictures, i dont think its necessary.
The reason i sent this was to get a better idea of what equipment to buy, cause there is so much on the market in terms of hiking gear, u dont wanna buy the wrong stuff then regret it later.
Just a few more questions, is there malaria in that area during the time that i am going, and is it dry or rainy, do i need water purifying tablets?
Also when u say it can get cold in the evenings, what temperatures are u talking about, like 0 degress, 5 degress?

Bannavdm

Unread post by Bannavdm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Ulysses,

They ( Who are the 'they' they always talk about?) say that there is a low malaria risk, so I think it wouldn't do any harm to take the proper precautions. I saw a discussion earlier this week where it was mentioned that people have died IN THE KALAHARI because of malaria.

The water in the Orange river can sometimes get very bad because we are so low down on the length of the river. All the 'dirt' accumulates and it can get bad sometimes.

The water at the huts is ordinary tap water that is transported to the huts (If i remember right the tank at the day2 hut also gathers rainwater?) and should be 'fine' to drink, but again, purifying tablets ain't too heavy to carry with for the time you might need it.

Because it is not winter yet by April, I would think that 5 degrees (or even more) would be what you can expect at night, but the huts have got doors to the rooms and only small "windows" that cannot close (but with sieve in front), so you shouldn't get too cold.

I hope you enjoy the hike.
Greetings
Banna

Bannavdm

Unread post by Bannavdm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Ok Here goes!
SOme more to follow

Bannavdm

Unread post by Bannavdm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:57 pm

Last edited by Dotty on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed tiny pic notice

stricks

distance from upington, augrabies

Unread post by stricks » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi,

As I am a newbie, please be gentle with me. I have two questions 1) I am flying in to upinigton and SAA have very kindly changed my flight so I now don't arrive there till 17.15, how long will it take to drive to augrabies and can I pick my keys up at the gates as I have accommodation booked.
2) Has anyone bought a wild card while they are overseas I am in the UK and wonder if its worthwhile because I am visiting about four parks while i am on hols in SA.

Thanks

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi stricks and welcome to the forum.

1) There is a tar road from Upington to Augrabies, and the speed limit outside of towns is 120kph, in town usually 60kph.
I would email the camp manager and request this, giving a rough ETA allowing for formalities like car hire & airport clearance. The gate to the reserve is at the camp.
2) Wild cards are usually available at all parks and can be bought on arrival. It depends how many nights you are staying whether it is cost effective or not.

There is an Augrabies Guru? I think, maybe she is watching this thread and could help.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

GVIAugrabies

Unread post by GVIAugrabies » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as the new GVI Volunteer at Augrabies Falls NP, which means (amongst other things) that I'm here to answer any questions you might have about the most beautiful park in the Arid region

Don't hesitate to write!

Cheers,

Rudolf
Mara le Mahieu
GVI Volunteer 2008
Augrabies

GVIAugrabies

Unread post by GVIAugrabies » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome all! Really appreciate it

To answer your question pucelou: waterlevels are generally highest between November and April when most of the rain falls, but occassional rains also occur in June/July. A reasonable waterlevel is almost guaranteed nowadays because of the dams that have been place further upstream. At the moment the waterlevel is hovering around 50.000 liters per second, which is average, and also causes the heavy rumbling of the water to be heard all over the restcamp and beyond.

Come and see, come and see
Mara le Mahieu

GVI Volunteer 2008

Augrabies

GVIAugrabies

Unread post by GVIAugrabies » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:25 am

There is an Augrabies Guru? I think, maybe she is watching this thread and could help.

HEis indeed watching this thread

Welcome to the forum stricks and great that you'll be visiting Augrabies during your stay in SA.

In answer to your question regarding the keys: after 16.00 or 17.00, reception will send any keys for guests who still need to arrive on that particular day to the gate. Simply show your booking to the gate guard and he will hand you your keys. Payment details will be settled the following morning.

And as Jannie pointed out, getting a WildCard would definitely be a good idea seeing as you will be visiting several parks during your stay. The favourable exchange rate pound/rand makes it even more interesting.

Let us know if you have any more questions (don't be afraid to ask, we won't bite - unlike some of the other residents in our parks : ) or send me a PM or mail.

Cheers,
Rudolf
Augrabies Guru
Mara le Mahieu

GVI Volunteer 2008

Augrabies

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by katydownunder » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Hello Rudolf!

Welcome to the forum

You will very soon discover what a great place this is.

I think there are quite a few forumites visiting the park in 2007.
We (katydownunder&Francolin) already have booked our accomodation for November and Glenda is there during the same period of time. So I think you might get the chance to meet up with a least some of these wildlife weirdos here

Check out this thread and you are always well informed:

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6628

Katy
The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

GVIAugrabies

Augrabies Falls NP: ADVICE

Unread post by GVIAugrabies » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:50 am

Cheers for that, good way of keeping track of everybody

Whenever any of you comes and visits Augrabies, be sure to come say hello at the social ecologist's office. If possible I'll give you a quick tour of the waterfall and (more importantly) point you in the right direction for the best milkshake this side of the Limpopo!

R
Mara le Mahieu

GVI Volunteer 2008

Augrabies

Bekke

Short visit

Unread post by Bekke » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:39 am

Hi Rudolf
I'm only sleeping-over at Augrabies on the 5th of April (on my way to KTP). Are there any short drives for early the next morning, to experience a bit of the park's unique character?

Return to “Arid Parks”