Skip to Content

Gharagab one way route

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
!bushbaby

Gharagab one way route

Unread post by !bushbaby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:36 pm

We are going to Gharagab next September for the first time! I notice that the route is one way only? Is it possible to go for a shorter drive and return to camp going the "wrong way"?

Jacani

Re: Gharagab one way route

Unread post by Jacani » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm

You can but the water holes nearby are, unless since sorted, not working and there is little to see. The action tends to take place at the waterhole in camp and if you're fortunate, between the tent units.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:43 pm

The camp attendant does sometimes allow one to go a little way on the out road and come back the "wrong" way, but only after anyone leaving the camp has gone - so no chance of meeting a vehicle going in the opposite direction. We were there for 4 nights in May this year and one day we went out to the "main" road and back in on the entry road. I actually think we would have seen more if we had stayed in camp that day. There is always something coming and going from the water hole. Gharagab is a wonderful place to just sit and soak up the surroundings - miles from anywhere.

If you are needing cell phone reception, there is very good reception via the Namibia network if you go up the look out tower! You will need to have international roaming, though.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the info. looking forward to spending time at Gharagab :)

katanga

Unread post by katanga » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

!bushbaby

I agree with the other posts - not much to be seen by driving to the waterholes which are not even operational.

Gharagab is an amazing camp and Eric the onsite ranger is great company to chat to whilst you see lions at the waterhole.

Soak up the place whilst there. I think it is one of the better wilderness camps in terms of accommodation, solitude and game viewing.

Enjoy your trip

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks to all for the valuable input. One more question, I have heard bad reports about the road out of Gharagab, especially the BIG sand dune near the end! How bad is it and can we manage with a Fortuner and a bit of experience?

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:03 am

I have done it in Hilux and Ford Ranger. Just make sure you are in 4x4 and 2nd gear. Just keep going steady - don't stop! It looks worse than it is and it has got a bad reputation.

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks, you have given me some confidence. Could you possibly drive in Low Range?
If you get stuck does the ranger come and rescue you? :?

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:52 pm

I think if you don't arrive at your next camp, someone will raise the alarm. You have an A5 booklet thing which you travel with and hand in to each camp when you arrive and collect when you leave the camp the next day, or go for a drive etc. They keep track of where you are going and when you arrive at your destination.

I found it easier in 2nd gear in high 4x4 and keeping the momentum going. The only time I used low range was years ago when someone in our bakkie said "stop" when I was half way up a big dune. Having stopped (for some animal in the distance!), I engaged low range, just in case.

You will be fine!

Have a great trip when the time comes round - you are making me feel very envious.

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for your good advice......really looking forward to going.

katanga

Unread post by katanga » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:45 pm

!bushbaby

It's not as bad as it looks. IF you don't make it up the first time, don't try force your way up. Gently reverse down and speed up and you will get over. I used a Prado 2 years ago and had no issues on the Gharagab route. Didn't get stuck.

On the ohter hand Bitterpan was challenging and the car did get stuck in 2-3 times but managed to reverse out 2 times and the third time had to reduce the tyre pressure further.

Fortuner is a high car, good torque and a proper 4X4 so don't sweat it. We did it without any 4X4 experience beforehand.

Enjoy.

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks, Katanga, for advice. What tyre pressure do you suggest?

katanga

Unread post by katanga » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:01 pm

1,6 - 1.4 bars did the trick for me. When I got stuck on the Bitterpan road I had to bring it down to 1.1 to get the car out.

!bushbaby

Unread post by !bushbaby » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Advice taken, thanks.

Return to “Arid Parks”