Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Road from TR to Rooiputs

Unread post by billyf » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 pm

As far as I know, the road is still closed, however, for those booked into Rooiputs there may be a concession.

No caravans allowed into the Mabuasehube area (after all, its a camping trailer).
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by afri-explore » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:26 pm

The Nossob to Mabuasehube road is a 'public' road with travel allowed in both directions. The Mabuasehube to Nossob wilderness trail that runs to the north from this road is a one-way road from Khiding Pan to Nossob. No trailers, not even proper off-road trailers are allowed on the wilderness trails.

There is no restrictions with respect to trailers on the 'public' road, in any case not from the Botswana side. This is where the confusion arises. At the same time both roads crosses the kalahari dunes and thus a 4x4 is required. That also means that ordinary trailers will not take the punishment.

I travelled the 'public' road, sometimes called the Nossob to Boso road (as it starts at the Bosobogolo pan in the Mabuasehube area) in July and it was badly corrugated. You rattle for most of the 195km. Any trailer (even some off-road trailers) that does not have shock absorbers fitted will not only add to the corrugations, but may pick up some damage. A stiffening strap on my off-road trailer (with proper shocks) broke at the weld. Fortunately nothing serious, but this part of the KTP will test your vehicles to the max.

OBSERVER

Unread post by OBSERVER » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:04 am

Hi. Thanks for all that info. I'm definately less confused now about the Mabuasehube off road trailer question.
The construction on the T/R to Rooiputs road, it seems, will take it's time. We'll have to just go across the bottom road from the Auob river bed and come back down again on the Nossob river bed. It just means that it will take slightly longer to get there.

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Observer.
I was under the impression that if you are booked into Rooiputs you are allowed to use a back road of sorts from Twee Rivieren to get there.
Maybe you should phone the park and find out exactly how one can get to Rooiputs. I do not think that you have to drive up the Auob, across the dune road and back down again. :hmz:

Morkel777
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Road to Nossob

Unread post by Morkel777 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 am

well my X-trail didn't have any trouble negotiating the roads and from what I could see from the roads I will have no qualms about tackling the 4x4 roads of the park.
Planning the next trip already...

defender00000001

Road from Dikbaardskolk to Urikaruus

Unread post by defender00000001 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Hello,

we want to visit the park next March.
We first want to drive from Upington via TR to Nossob to stay ther one night.
The next day we want to drive to Mata Mata ( or Kalahari Tented Camp ).

Is it possible to drive the road from Dikbaardskolk to Urikaruus with a ( sedan ) car?
Or which is the best way to go from Nossob to Mata Mata with a sedan car?
How long will it take?

Is it a good idea to stay 2 nights at the Kalahari Tented Camp,
or ist it better to stay at Mata Mata?

Joachim
from Germany

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Road from Dikbaardskolk to Urikaruus

Unread post by arks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi Joachim and Welcome!

You will do just fine with a sedan on the upper dune road. Altho I have not (yet) stayed there, I would recommend KTO over Mata Mata for several reasons. First, there may still be construction at Mata Mata. Second I think that all the tents at KTC have a view of the waterhole, which would not be the case at MM.

If you can, try to ge more than 3 nights in the park as three nights isn't nearly enough for more than an overview. The driving times between camps that are given on this website are somewhat unrealistic, you can count on taking as much as double those times, depending on what you see en route. So be prepared for some long drives.

Have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

robin

Unread post by robin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Joachim, I would definitely prefer KTC over Mata Mata. It's not far from there and the availability of accommodation is very good compared to the other wilderness camps like Kieliekrankie or Urikaruus(...wehre you have to book well in advance!! ...check calendar). Mata Mata is fine if you need a shop and fuel but for overnight stops I would stay in KTC. If you're lucky, you'll see some Hyenas walking around between your chalets

The upper dune road from Dikbaardsdolk to urikaruus will work for your sedan, I think. I once tried the nossob river bed from TR to Nossob with a Toyota Condor, it worked, finally, ...but gave me some sweat, though. I would not try it again.

All the best,
Willie (also from GER)

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:23 pm

All the roads you would drive on Defender are drivable in a sedan. Some might be a bit corrugated, and watch for bits washed away to avoid.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

diego

Re: Kalahari - Bitterpan - Nossob in the wrong order!

Unread post by diego » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Philology wrote:

It was only afterwards we noticed that the check in for Bitterpan is at Nossob and the route is one way - in the opposite direction. So, my question is:
Is it feasible to drive from Kalahari to Nossob via the Kamqua road, check in, have lunch(?) and drive on to Bittercamp in one day? It looks as if it's 3.5 hours to Nossob, then 2.5 hours to Bitterpan.
(Now add two grumpy teenagers suffering from withdrawal from their cellphones? )

Hi
We did the same direction (Kalahari, Bitterpan, Grootkolk) and had no problems to drive it in one day (via Kamqua Dune Road) with a lunchstop in Nossob. It's like a whole day game drive. You will reach Bitterpan in best town for having a beer after dune driving and before braai

Its a wonderful place, you'll enjoy it, i'm shure.

Greets Diego

Polentswa

Roads in the KTP (conditions)

Unread post by Polentswa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:38 pm

The roads normally get scraped every week. They deteriorate when people speed - particularly if with high tyre pressures. Let some air out of the tyres (not too much of course) and stick to the speed limits. Report speedsters to the Section Rangers or reception (take the registration number). If everyone did it the raods would "last" a lot longer. Can't imagine anything worse than tarred roads in KTP though

annie R

Re: Roads in the KTP

Unread post by annie R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 am

I've always thought Sanparks emphasises the wrong aspect when asking visitors to KTP to deflate their tyres. They focus on the damage done to the roads if your tyres are too hard, which is something we KTP fanatics care about because we still want to be driving those sand roads when we're 90. But I wonder if it wouldn't have more impact on motorists in general if Sanparks were to emphasise two other points as well: how much more pleasant it makes your ride; and how much less likely you are to suffer any damage to your vehicle! Those are two things EVERYONE cares about, whereas unfortunately not everyone cares about the damage they cause to the delicate roads (something proved by the number of cars you see in the park with rock-hard tyres!).

annie R

Re: Kalahari - Bitterpan - Nossob in the wrong order!

Unread post by annie R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:33 am

This issue crops up again and again with visitors, especially those who are new to the park, or new to 4x4ing. I think the fault lies with the Sanparks booking offices where not all staff seem to be aware of the one-way routing of the Nossob-Bitterpan trail. They should be given some training that teaches them to ask the right questions. First, do you have a 4x4? If the answer is no, they should know to tell you that you can't book a chalet at Bitterpan. And if someone tries to book Mata Mata and then Bitterpan for the next night: do you know you have to go via Nossob because it's a one-way trail? Yes, you can get permission to use the Moravet escape route to get to Bitterpan, but then you're missing out on just about the whole trail. And it really is fun, especially when the dunes are covered in wild flowers after good rains. I still have a photo of a glut of yellow dubbeltijies on a wide expanse of dunes on that trail as the screensaver on my computer and it keeps me sane between trips to the kalahari!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: road between Twee Rivieren and Nossob open?

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 pm

The road north of Melkvlei is set into the riverbed, but the view gets better after that.

We have been to Union's end in a Cressida station wagon.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Roads in the KTP

Unread post by Tobieo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:44 pm

I would like to suggest that Sanparks make it compulsary to deflate tyres. It can be enforced by garage attendant issueing a token when tyres deflated, without which you will not be allowed to leave 2R.
Jan 2016 KTP
March 2016 Greater Kruger Hon Rangers Photography safari
May 2016 KTP
June 2016 Okavango Delta and Chobe

Return to “Arid Parks”