Skip to Content

Mokala - name the rarest animals...

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Mokala - name the rarest animals...

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:41 pm

The latest census is out, so why not see if people know the rarest animals in Mokala? (Using that census as reference...)

Of three species there is just one lonesome individual, which are they?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala - name the rarest animals...

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Taken from the last Annual report, Jumbo was very correct..
(and very quick! )
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by christo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 pm

I would love to see how they counted the BBJ's and the bat eared foxes
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Darwin

Unread post by Darwin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:53 am

The census is done by a helicopter. All animals are recorded although an aerial census is only useful for the larger animals - antelope and rhino numbers. So although bat eared foxes, monkeys etc. are interesting sightings it is defenitely not a true reflection of their numbers and the aim of the census is to determine the herbivore numbers.

ice

endangered species at Mokala

Unread post by ice » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 pm

during my recent stay at Mokala a guide told me that Mokala was mainly established to protect five endangered species

black rhino
roan
sable
white-backed vulture

and? was is blesbok? I simply forgot...could somebody help out?

thanks

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: endangered species at Mokala

Unread post by Stoffel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Surely not 'blesbok'(they are common - although not in Mokala). Rather 'tsessebe.
Chris Boucher
9 - 15 May 2017 - Berg-&-Dal
16 - 22 May - Lower Sabie
23 - 29 May - Satara
30 May - 5 June - Tsendze

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Or bontebok?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ice

Unread post by ice » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm

I am 99% sure they don't have bontebok in mokala; I hold the mammals list they hand out to arriving guests in my hand right now and it doesn't show bontebok...

the reason I though of blesbok is that somewhere else I read they only have one small herd, less than ten animals...on the other hand blesbok are "alien animals" in mokala; introduced into the region by the former owners solely for their formidabe horns and colourful skin which make great hunters trophies, just like nyalas and waterbucks; none of these species belong there, that's why (according to the guide who conducted my night drive) they are planning to either transfer these species to other parks or to sell them

the more I think about it the more I believe stoffel is correct in assuming it is tsessebes...I was hoping somebody else has received the same (extremely informative) lecture by that female guide and has a slightly better memory than I do

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Ice,

I heard from a friend that frequently visits the town of Plooysberg that there are also Lechwe's in the park. That will make Mokala the only NP with Lechwes in South Africa.

Just remember that the weather can be extremely; cold in the winter (~ minus 5/8 deg C) and very hot in the summer (Recording of 54 deg C by car thermometer.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

ice

Unread post by ice » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:20 pm

don't take it personal but I seriously doubt that; as I've mentioned before, I do have an official list in my hand, given to us at the reception and there is no lechwe on the list...plus I'm sure, if they had them the guide would have told me...I was the only guest on that particular night drive so it was more like a dialogue than the usual monologue...probably the most informative drive I've ever had

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Ice,

I don't think it is unlikely but rather that the possibility can be 100 %. If its possible to hunt for Red Lechwe at Imbasa Safari game reserve that's close to Mokala (website very secretive about location as they a hunting safari, but Google Earth photos indicate to south of Mokala) surely these animals can move into the park and be found at Mokala. Lechwe is maybe not on the official list but definitely found near Kimberley

Google Imbasa Safari and Per Morberg that hunted a Lechwe last year near Mokala.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

ice

Unread post by ice » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 pm

the guide said that Mokala is totally fenced, to prevent just what you described

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Ice,

I see you no longer doubt that Lechwes can be on the other side of the fence.

Antelope can easily clear a fence, but I do not want to argue. All I said that I got the info from a very reliable source. My source is a hunter who will be able to positively ID any antelope. He stayed in Plooysberg more than 20 years and knows the area very well.

This just means I need to prove myself by getting some pics. I am in for the challenge.

ice

Unread post by ice » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 pm

why should I doubt that some stupid hunters put game on their farms that probably don't belong there? we have lechwe in German zoos as well and I know the former owners of Mokala had done the same with nyalas, waterbucks and blesbok

my initial question was to identify a fifth endangered species. The guide told me their names and I am extremely sure that the fifth one was not lechwe and I am just as sure that if they had lechwe in mokala, it would be on their list (the guide compiled it herself and seemed to be extremely serious about it) and I am also convinced she would have mentioned it to me in our conversation

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I saw the one and only lechwe (ewe) in Mokala during my last visit in January. The officials were very curios to find out where we saw her as they were trying to remove her from the park (it was very near to Mosu Lodge). She stayed behind when all other lechwe were removed after SANParks took over from Winterhoek Hunting Safaris. I also saw two waterbuck and some nyala that stayed behind. I saw the waterbuck and a nyala bull (with a broken horn) during my January visit too. During a prev ious day visit I saw two nyala ewes. By the way - nyala males are referred to as "bulls" and the females as "ewes".

The park does not have bontebok. As bontebok (Damaliscus dorcas) and blesbok (Damaliscus philipsi) can interbreed, they will not be kept in the same reserve. As a matter fact, blesbok is not allowed to be kept on farms in the southwestern Cape where bontebok once naturally occurred.
Chris Boucher
9 - 15 May 2017 - Berg-&-Dal
16 - 22 May - Lower Sabie
23 - 29 May - Satara
30 May - 5 June - Tsendze

Return to “Arid Parks”