Skip to Content

I have Urikaruus July 18-31, partial swop for Nossob, KK, Grootkolk in end July/early August?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
kimanjome

I have Urikaruus July 18-31, partial swop for Nossob, KK, Grootkolk in end July/early August?

Unread post by kimanjome » Thu May 26, 2016 4:35 pm

My title says it all.

I have a cabin in Urikaruus from 17 July 2016 checkout 1 August 2016, with exception night of July 27.

I am trying to book some nights in Nossob, Kieliekrankie, and or Grootkolk in late July or early August.

Please message me if you would like to do a partial exchange /swop.

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: I have Urikaruus July 18-31, partial swop for Nossob, KK, Grootkolk in end July/early August?

Unread post by kite » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 am

Hope you get someone who wants Urikaruus soon! :)

penolva

Re: I have Urikaruus July 18-31, partial swop for Nossob, KK, Grootkolk in end July/early August?

Unread post by penolva » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:15 am

I just wonder how on earth you managed to get it for that long over a two month period? It's a mystery to those of us who get up at the crack of dawn here in the UK only to find everything at Uri and Grootkolk booked before we even get through. :wall: :wall:

kimanjome

Unread post by kimanjome » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:19 am

Hi, Penlova. Actually, I had 2 cabins booked for that period, because two other family members wanted to join us unfortunately they cancelled so I didn't need both cabins.

I had been trying to book Urikaruus since my first visit there 7th October 2014. Here it is almost 2 years later! It was month after month of waking at 2 in the morning US time only to find all cabins had already been booked by people in SA who could stand in line. :hmz:

The secret for me was to wait just shy of 1month after the in-person /phone in bookings...these people can put the reservation on hold for 30 days, free. Before the 30 days hold is up they have to pay a deposit. Many of them can't pay the deposit, or can't arrange a holiday, or whatever. So their reservation automatically cancels, or they have the consideration to call Central Reservations and cancel.

Also, I check the San Parks website several times a day, every day. I had been doing that for a long, long time! Book a day here, another day there, wait a few months and find another day open.

Please PM mel

penolva

Unread post by penolva » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:10 pm

I have been looking every day, at least twice a day for the past three years to try for cancellations for our various visits. I was amazed that you got such a very long period and now you say for more than one cabin even more amazed. :hmz: :wall: I need Uri for September 22 - 24 and we are still hopeful. We are not going to South Africa next year so I can stop looking for 12 months :dance:

Mkhombe

Unread post by Mkhombe » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 pm

I smell a rat. I saw this post a while ago & guessed that the poster managed to secure the new honeymoon unit at Urikaruus when it was released. If this isn't the case why didn't they book the units they now require at the time of their booking as surely they would have been available as Urikaruus is so hard to get, however KTP & Nossob etc often has availability early on.

I'm sorry that my first post on this forum is a grumpy one as I have been browsing this forum for many years, I just feel that it was a selfish act and feel compelled to express my annoyance.

I know I might be wrong, however if someone does swap their bookings and finds themselves in the new unit at Urikaruus they know why!

Now I have registered, I hope that my future posts will be more pleasant and I hope to share happy sightings & useful information. I have gained so much from this forum so thanks to those forum members.
Last edited by Mkhombe on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimanjome

Unread post by kimanjome » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:05 am

Mkhome, I am the OP and I am hurt by your accusation.

I have been trying to book Urikaruus for almost 2 years. As I live in the USA we do not have the advantages of being able to physically stand in line as you do in South Africa. Forget about our phone calls being answered--by the time I get through to Central Reservations--even a minute or two after the lines have opened, everything is already booked by those walk-ins, and the travel trade. Thus, we "outsiders" must wait a full month afterwards for online booking to open up, and try once again. As you can imagine, Uri is never available. I mean, never. So we --"we" being those who are not physically in SA must therefore check online several times a day, sometimes every hour we are awake, even arising at 2 in the morning like I do, to hope for that which is hopeless.

By some incredible good fortune a kindly soul in SA took it upon herself to put me in touch with someone who would stand in line outside the SAN parks office early in the morning. This began in December 2014. Since that time this person continued to visit the SAN Parks office once a month on my behalf, early at dawn, to stand in line for me. A miracle happened in August 2015: this wonderful soul was able to make it to the front of the line, and, at my request, booked me two cabins at Urikaruus. The cabins were for my husband, myself, and our two adult daughters.
I booked 2 weeks at Uri because it is in such a central location--can go to MM, KTP, KK, TR, or Nossob directions without a 4x4.

Time has marched onwards since August 2015 and one of my daughters has found herself unable to come to South Africa, she is working on a Sea Shepherd boat. The other daughter has been accepted into the Peace Corps and cannot spend the entire time in KTP. So I offered up the one 2nd cabin in a swop of sorts, hoping for a couple of days in another camp so my daughter could see a bit more of the park. And no, neither cabin was the honeymoon cabin.

I hope that clears up any displeasure on your side.

penolva

Unread post by penolva » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:33 pm

As I understand it he is not trying to make any money out of this, he was just lucky :clap: Pen

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Pity the reservations are not during the school holidays. Last year reservations opened on 22 / 23 July for July 2016 with on-line reservations only 1 day later. You certainly were very lucky to score so many days after reservations opened.

I understand this year I must wait until 1 August for July booking. Hope its correct and I am not loosing out with the bookings. :hmz:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Obelix
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Obelix » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Maybe everyone here should just chill a bit. Yes, the booking kimanjome got seems unreal (and the changing explanation also seems strange) but I guess our jealousy clouds our vision. Fact of the matter remains, you have the booking - good for you. I hope you enjoy your trip. Maybe just lay off some of our SA people - you attach way too much weight to the 'benefit' to be able to stand in line early in the mornings. Most of us further away from Sanparks'offices fond ourselves in very much the same position you are. And BTW, in my humble opinion Sanparks's realtime online bookings system is best in its class (even compared to the US). Safe journey.

Return to “Arid Parks”