Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: trailers, caravans & motorhomes

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
carolz

Re: CARAVANING TO KGALAGADI

Unread postby carolz » Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Len
Would agree with you - TR and no further. My parents went with a "Bakkie-mate" years ago and lost their fridge door not to mention cupboard doors! Everything out the cupboards and fridge on the floor!! I have since taken an interest in watching caravans in the park The off-road ones seem to do well but the "normal" ones ..... Owners, caravans and their contents don't do so well. One caravaner was telling us that he had an oil leak that they could not explain until they opened the door -cooking oil!!
What about taking a small tent with you and spend a night or two at the other camps (it would cost more for two camp-sites) each camp is special in its own way.
Have a great time.
The grass is always greener - where you water it!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Don't know caravan stop overs, but it depends how long you want to take to get there & back. The road via Calvilia is good, and takes 100 km off the N7 route via Springbok. The only obstacle is Van Rhyn's pass, which is quite steep and winding.
There is a rudinentary caravan park at Garies, and I suspect there are ones at Springbok, Upington and Calvinia, and places like Keimoes and Kenhardt might also have them.
Back to KTP. I would park it at 2R and do day trips to Mata Mata and Nossob.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Caracal » Fri May 22, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi Len Loader and welcome to the forum.
We have taken our camper trailer to TR and used it for a couple of days. We then moved on to Nossob and a chalet for the next few days. We left the camper trailer at TR where it was looked after... no problem. This June we are biting the bullet and taking it with us to Nossob....but then it is a camper trailer not a caravan. We know of a very nice farm close to Calvinia that one cold stay over at..if interested pls pm me for details. I also know of a lovely campsite near Keimoes
I think Augrabies is an excellent choice as a stopover though..
enjoy your planning !!!

Dreamer
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dreamer » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Len Loader
I'm sure you have all the answers already, but I reply just to let you know what we experienced 10 years ago !!
Some of us know what the condition of the Molopo to TR road was like then, either from experience and or from what they have read on this forum.
Well, ours was a first time experience and our first ever visit to KTP
When I say that every single screw in the caravan unscrewed... I mean it!! We had reduced tyre pressures and stopped every 10 km's to keep checking to try and prevent further damage. Oh...you do learn by mistakes. We also had a bottle of oil that emptied itself over my duvet and pillow, a bottle of beetroot over the floor, long life milk cartons managed to wear thin from all the abrasions and make a mixture with the oil on my bed : The fridge gas pipes broke and and... and.......
Oh yes.....you DO learn by mistakes. We have been back, think it is nine times since then and have thoroughly enjoyed staying in the chalets
In those days, the park was not as popular as it is now and even though it was school holidays, we were permitted to leave our caravan on site at TR while we stayed in chalets in Nossob and Mata Mata.
I must say, now that the road is tarred, I am quite tempted to take the caravan and stop off at leisure on route to KTP, however only to caravan at TR and do the chalet thing in the other camps!!
Go along and enjoy your time in your caravan, but..... TR only!!!

@ billyf
We know exactly how your brother must have felt!!
At home...... dreaming of next trip to KTP

GerhardF

Unread postby GerhardF » Sat May 23, 2009 3:41 pm

We have been there end of April for 6 days with a motorhome. We went all the way to Mata Mata also drove both dune roads. No problems apart from a lot of dust. We went slow with the tyres deflated.

bushman B

Unread postby bushman B » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi all

I have read a lot of reports about this subject.
We are going to Nossob, Polentswa and rooiputs over christmas and new year....and....wait for it....I am going in my suv and a normal small caravan.

I have done some minor modifications, such as dust proofing, fitting stronger hinges etc.
Time is not a problem so I beleive as long as I take it really easy, I can access all of the above.
Has anybody else done this ?

Caracal

Unread postby Caracal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi bushman B and welcome to the forum

Okay so I am an angel: giving advice in a musketeers domain. : We have not camped at either Polentswa or Rooiputs but we have visited the camps in a 4 x 4. The camps may not be that far from the "main road" but one does need a 4 x 4 to get to them ..especially Polentswa..sandy roads !!!! I really don't think dust proofing or stronger hinges is what is required here.....I think you need to be able to negotiate "insignificant"
sand tracks . But having have said that your dust proofing and stronger hinges will surely come in handy along the Nossob and Auob riverbeds ( main roads)..the roads can be quite corrugated at times !

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Delene D » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi there Len,
My 2 cents worth as a caravaner with a "normal" caravan. Stopovers to consider are: Clanwilliam dam, Garies(basic) but busy over flower season, 2 parks at Springbok, Definitely Augrabies, Upington (Die Eiland). By what has been said I would also plan to caravan at Twee Rivieren and chalet the other camps. Been around the country a few times in the past 35 years including Zim 1996 and Namibia 1999. Etosha had good gravel roads but fine powdery sand to filter into van. A tip for vanners: To avoid the van filling up with fine sand open your front window onto the second catch, this forms a vacuum of sorts and no fine sand in the van. Hope you have a stunning visit to KTP. Another place we have not been to yet, but will get there in the next year or two. Regards, Delene. PS: Take time out to visit a little place called Pella (turnoff is about 10 kms west of Pofadder). I believe tarred all the way and about 20kms from main road. The nuns will take you around the cathedral built by a bishop and a priest many years ago from a plan in an encyclopaedia). Enjoy!

Damdan

Unread postby Damdan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Agree, an ordinary caravan to TR and no further.
Remember an open front window on the van sucks in all the dirt and dust from the tow vehicles rear wheels, so only open on tar roads. Otherwise use masking tape to seal all openings/seams.
I use the Vanrhynsdorp, Nieuwoudtville, Loeriesfontein Brandvlei, Kenhardt, Upington road. Boring but straight, shorter and with less lorries.
You can always make a first stopover at Vanrhysdorp but I have no info on the camping there.
I leave CT early with one stop at Upington before TW. I dont stop over at the usual Eiland campsite in Upington, too busy, too noisy. I overnight at a place/farm just outside Upington on the right hand side of the road going north towards KTP. Not sure about the facilities as Im selfsufficient, so phone first. One can take a nice drive looking for animals and the braai lapa with the night creatures visiting while you sit in absolute silence is super.
Enjoy.

ruthp

Unread postby ruthp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm

O.K. I've read all the comments and maybe I'm missing something but what is the problem about towing to the other camps exactly? We have a 4x4 bakkie and have taken it and our ordinary van to some places in Mocambique where folk only go with off-roaders. I understand normal sedan cars can travel to Nossob and Mata so in that case an ordinary van should be able to do the trip: My SO does not like the idea of day trips - reckons its too much driving every day - he wants to do short morning and afternoon trips and rest up during the day We are particularly interested in ordinary 'vanning now as we have discovered on our recent (8 day, 3 stop) Kruger trip, using our tent as a test for KTP, that we have too many aches and pains now for the tenting story, so have been thinking of using our ordinary van for KTP next year.
KTP 2016 (13 nights camping + 2nights in KTC) :clap: :
TR 19 - 21 Jul
KTC 22 & 23 Jul
MM 24 - 26 Jul
Nossob 27 Jul - 1 Aug
TR - 2 Aug

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: KTP Roads & Caravan

Unread postby afri-explore » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Matthew,
I will not take a caravan further than TR. Even if the roads further up to Nossob and Mata-Mata was graded, it turns into a badly currugated road within days.

Ordinary caravans no - off-road trailers yes beacause they are built stronger, but they also takes some hammering. I had a weld breaking - not serious, but it happens.

ruthp

Where can we park our caravan when staying at KTC?

Unread postby ruthp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:52 pm

We were going do a mixture of camping in a tent and fixed accommodation for our May 2010 trip. Due to circumstances tenting is no longer an option and we've also had to shorten our trip. Meantime we've acquired a small off-road caravan. We've changed our booking but at present can't get a camp site in MM so have to stick with our original 2 nights at KTC.
Question: will we be able to park our caravan at KTC - is the parking area big enough? Or will we have to / be able to leave the 'van in some parking area at MM? .
KTP 2016 (13 nights camping + 2nights in KTC) :clap: :
TR 19 - 21 Jul
KTC 22 & 23 Jul
MM 24 - 26 Jul
Nossob 27 Jul - 1 Aug
TR - 2 Aug

Caracal

Re: Where can we park our caravan when staying at KTC?

Unread postby Caracal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi ruthp
I really do not think you will have a problem parking your caravan at KTC..there is plenty of room.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Where can we park our caravan when staying at KTC?

Unread postby madach » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Ruthp,

There's plenty of space at KTC for parking your caravan, don't worry about it.

M.

RichardS

Caravan In KTP

Unread postby RichardS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 am

Hi all,

I'm sure I've read this somewhere before, but cannot seem to find the answer (So I'm just going to have to ask again)

We are planning a camping trip up to KTP for the first week in September 2010 and are unsure if we should take a standard road-going caravan or hire an off-road trailer. It's the longest we would have camped as a family & I want a solid camping base to work with (Rather than our Campmaster tents).

Will a standard road-going caravan cope with the roads? (TR to MM to Nossob over a week) or would an off-road trailer work best?

Regards

Richard
"The real adventure begins in earnest when things go a little wrong....." - Bear Grylls
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
30/12 - 02/01 Bontebok NP
02/01 - 07/01 Mountain Zebra NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

Return to “Arid Parks”