Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Trip to Richtersveld towing a Scout Nomad caravan

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Potjespram have some open sites, like this one in camp C:

In love with God's creation

boomerang

Re: Richtersveld Camp Occupation

Unread post by boomerang » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Well, I'm very happy to close off my (almost) monologue after receiving a private e-mail from Richtersveld Transfrontier Park staff. It was acknowledged that overcrowding/illegal camping could occur, but that more regular patrols during peak season will take care of this.

Looking forward even more to a unforgettable first trip to the Richtersveld
2010 - Blessed with six opportunities - Marakele, Kgalagadi, Kruger, Augrabies, Richtersveld, Karoo
2011 - Karoo, Mokala, Namakwa Nat Park
2012 - KNP, Gonarezhou
2013 - KNP, Marakele, Moremi
2014 - Sadly no SANParks, Moz & CKGR

khumbula

Camping around Eksteenfontein (Richtersveld)

Unread post by khumbula » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Planning an overnight stop in/near Eksteenfontein (Richtersveld). Would prefer to camp. Choice seems to be Sun Valley (aka Kani Kaip I think) or Peace of Paradise. Has anyone camped at either of these sites and if so, how long is the drive to these sites from either Eksteenfontein or Steinkopf? Which campsite would you recommend? And, approaching from Steinkopf, which route would you recommend? Any other advice would be appreciated. We will be towing with a Defender.

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping around Eksteenfontein (Richtersveld)

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Peace of Paradise burned down a few years ago. In the same area as what Peace of Paradise was I can recommend Aquacade but it is not close to Eksteenfontein, but close to Vioolsdrift. From there you have to do the 2nd leg of the Namaqua 4x4 Echo route through the Nababieb reserve to get to Eksteenfontein - spectacular scenery!

Tierhoek (S28 38 02.8 E17 00 42.7) or Bakkrans Caves (S28 51 47.5 E17 04 31.2) are close to Eksteenfontein/Lekkersing. You can book at the tourism office in Eksteenfontein (0278517108) or e-mail tic@lantic.net. Ask for Volenti. These are not private sites but part of the Richtersveld Community Conservancy and a very worthwhile cause to support.

From the Steinkopf - Port Nolloth tar road take the Eksteenfontein turn-off. Good gravel road to Eksteenfontein (been there a week ago). From there it is a bit rough going but nothing worse than what the RTP currently has to offer. Both the mentioned camp sites are conveniently close to the RTP. You can also try Kubus but I have not camped there before. There are virtually no road signs in the Conservancy area so a GPS with Tracks 4 Africa is highly recommended.

There are other options as well for accommodation. Feel free to contact me (PM) for more information.
In love with God's creation

Foxy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Camping around Eksteenfontein (Richtersveld)

Unread post by Foxy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Also Abiqua River Camp on the Namibia side is very nice - just down the road from Aquacade.

Return to “Arid Parks”