Skip to Content

Miera

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
IainP

Miera

Unread post by IainP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Named after the Mier people in the Kgalagadi.

@Jo great sightings and pics, the U End female looked really relaxed, I hope you got lots of great pics!!

My 2nd leo was "spotted" 800m south of Rooiputs in a large camel thorn. It was a juvenile maybe 5 - 6 months old? The mother left the cub in the same area where it spent its time between the big camel thorn on the eastern side of the road and a small cave on the western side of the road.

We spent 3 days watching the cub then one evening it was gone!

We were hoping to see the mother but no luck :(

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 am

Edited: IainP's cub - Miera

@IainP - And another newbie for the list, in all respects. :clap: Yes, I'm totally :mrgreen: , spending 3 days watching the cub! How amazing can that be! Again super sighting and pix! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by wanderw on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 am

Edited: Miera

We saw a year? old cub at 13th borehole(possibly the cub of Jo's young female) on the 30/12/2010.

A pic and crop of her left side.

Last edited by wanderw on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

F2/2014

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:46 pm

You guys had a great sighting wanderw :clap: :clap: :clap:

We were very lucky to actually see 2 leopards in the area of 13th, the one one the prev page that I posted - we thought that may have been "mom".....I think the young leopard that you guys saw wanderw (the one I was chatting to you about) was prob this one......

We never got to see if it was male or female, but I am almost sure its the same young one that you saw wanderw - I think the other leopard that we saw at 13th was definitely a fully grown female.

Great pics IainP :clap: :clap: :clap:

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:08 am

Edited - Jo's post above and this post - Miera
OMG Jo! :redface: You are right! We saw the cub of the young female! A careless mistake on my part - we have no pix of the right hand side and I tried to do a quick check of the forehead with a 'not too great' pic of ours. The cub's forehead matches better! :thumbs_up: Your female on the previous page seems very young - she still looks cubbish in your straight on pix, but at the time I did think she looked a bit old(in the first 2 pix) for our leo. So now we have 2 new 13th borehole leopards! :dance:

I did show our pix to Marius at Urikaruus, and he said that it could be the cub of the mother and cub combo that used to visit U some months back. Marius estimated the age of the cub as approx 1 year.

Why I think the cub is female, given her approx age.

( :hmz: Of course, if it is younger than a year, and a late developer, it could turn out to be the other sex!)

Will edit my previous post! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by wanderw on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

F2/2014

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nico » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:05 am

August 2011. This Leopard that we saw between Urikaruus and Dertiende Boorgat, was a female. I was filming some Giraffes when suddenly two of them had seen something coming. They were looking at a Leopard that was hunting Springbok. She came right to us, crossed the road and went straight to the Sprinbok but she didn,t succeed to get a Springbok. :roll:

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi Leopard identification

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi all,
I've been going through this thread in detail recently and i have spotted a few missed identifications.

The final duplicate is IainP's juvenile leopard that he reports seeing "800m south of Rooiputs" (Nossob river). This is in actual fact the same juvenile that many forumites have reported seeing around the 13th Bore Hole on the Aoub river side with her mother (Can some one please confirm that this is the Rooibrak waterhole). Jo and Wandrew were the first people to discuss them.
IainP's image (cropped slightly)
Jo's image (cropped slightly)
The area above the right eye is clearly a match.
But this, i think is potenitally very interesting. IainP reported that he saw the cub but didn't see the mother. However, we know from IainP's next post that in actual fact he did see the mother on the Aoub river south of Urikaruus.

IainP can you confirm that the cub was seen on the Nossob side near Rooiputs? I do find it hard to believe that the cub would be left all the way over on the other river (approximately 60km away as the crow flies) when it has been seen so many times near the 13th Bore hole.
Other that the Leeuwdril Male and Maja this would be the only leopard to be seen on both sides :hmz:.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Miera

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm

So my own personal sightings, first I'll start with the 13th Bore hole cub and mum. I was fortunate enough to see them on my second trip to the park on 16th July 2011 at the Rooibrak water hole (is this the 13th Bore hole?). I was in the park with a friend (Garry) on a drive out from TR. We were nearing our turn around point (and i have to admit i was dosing a bit :redface:) when Garry pointed out a cheetah on the right....well it wasn't a cheetah but a female leopard :D
Mum
After about 5 minutes of watching, Garry again...and to my shame...pointed out another leopard about 3m the other side of my open window :big_eyes: The leopard, the cub, was lying down eating the remains of a kill (reported by some other people in the park to be a stolen springbok from some cheetahs).

Cub: Miera
We proceeded to watch the two leopards wandering from the trees and pump on the left to the water hole on the right. 30mins of uninterrupted bliss . At times i didn't know where to look as they were on different sides of the car.

Cub: Miera

The day after this we again found the cub in the large tree at the corner of the upper dune road turn off. She came down and then hid in the long grass. :)

I think these two have entertained a lot of park visitors and I'm sure there are many hundreds of photos of them. I have a feeling these won't be the last either :pray:

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Miera

Unread post by Lionspoon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Here is my contribution:

Then another female, also in April 2011 - just south of Rooibrak:

And the same lady again in October 2011. We saw her on two consecutive days,
one time at Batulama and the next day a bit south of it:

Last edited by Lionspoon on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 am

Lionspoon

The little female you saw in April just south of Rooibrak, and in Oct in the Batulama area, looks to me like the cub of the 13th Borehole female. It appears that she is now out on her own.....unless mom was just away hunting? What do you guys think? Here is a comparison......

Lionspoon's pic April

Lionspoon's pic Oct

IainP's pic -13th Borehole cub

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 pm

@Lionspoon - Thanx for posting! :gflower:

Definitely agree with Jo! :thumbs_up: This is the 13th borehole cub who has grown into a beautiful young leopard. Awesome sightings! :mrgreen: Looking at all my pix again, I guess she was closer to 9 months(not a year) when we saw her at the end of December. She would have been just over 1 and a half years old when you saw her in October.

@Jo - Thanks for the help! Much appreciated! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by wanderw on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:00 pm

@Lionspoon - Lovely photos, thanks for posting them. It does look like the 13BH cub is now being seen on her own. Nico's video is also of her hunting.

F1/2014

ingrid60
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ingrid60 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi AstroMatt,

very interesting and great work you doing here. :thumbs_up:
This pic is from our recent visit last month.We saw this beautiful lady near Montrose.
I think,she is the same as Lionspoon postet from her last trip.
Watch the tiny black spot on her snout.

We do not see nature with our eyes, but with our understandings and our hearts.
William Hazlitt

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 am

@ingrid60 - Great to see you on the forum again. :thumbs_up: Thanks for the post. Your Montrose leo is definitely the 13th borehole grown up cub seen by Lionspoon at Batulama! :dance:

F2/2014

ingrid60
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ingrid60 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:09 am

Good morning,
it's not the one I wanted to post,but this is similar and a bit smaller.

Wanda, :gflower: thanks!
We do not see nature with our eyes, but with our understandings and our hearts.
William Hazlitt

Return to “Arid Parks”