Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
WillieV
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the year - Non Predator (2015)
Award: Sighting of the year - Predator (2014)

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by WillieV » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Thank you Koru for the fantastic news of Barolong and her cubs. :dance:
We will be on the lookout for them.
KGALAGADI AFTER THE RAIN. MAY 2016.
KGALAGADI AUGUST 2015. THE HUNTER BECAME THE HUNTED
KGALAGADI May 2015
August 2014 short trip to Kgalagadi.
Kgalagadi May 2014 with Lion vs Leopard and the "Love Birds"

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm green and excited all in one!!!

I'm so glad to read about Borolong and her cubs!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:12 pm

What a fantastic sighting AstroMatt! Thanks for posting Koru! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Please help to save the Wild Dog population: SEE HERE!

Sigmund

Unread post by Sigmund » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:46 pm

Just returned from an (once again) amazing KTP trip with a world record breaking (for us that is) seven different leopard sightings 8)

First one at Leeuwdril.
There might be some who may remember our amazing sighting of Kabelo at the same waterhole during June 2014?

Anyhow, we entered the park at Tweerivieren and barely 10 km down the Nossob road, I told our tale of the Kabello spotting to the other two vehicles in our group (First timers to KTP) over our two-way radios. Also mentioned to them that I know of people that have been to KTP 20 times or more and never had the privilege of spotting a leopard.
My words were barely cold when I spotted what seemed to be the flick of a white tipped tail approximately 150 meters off to our right....braked and scanning the veld to spot a leopard casually approaching the road.

I immediately knew the animal was on its way for a drink of water and we held back to have her cross the road and spent around half an hour with her at Leeuwdril.

From Facebook I have learned that this is the Auchterlonie female with her bottom left fang missing.
Attachments
Img_3860.jpg
Img_3859.jpg
Img_3854.jpg
Img_3833.jpg
Img_3823.jpg
2015 Berg en Dal 19 Sep - Biyamiti 20-22 Sep - Lower Sabie 22-26 Sep - Satara 26-30 Sep
Tambotie 30 Sep - 2 Oct

2016 Nossob 24-25 June - Polentswa 26-30 June - Mata Mata 1-3 July - Rooiputs 4-6 July
Augrabies 7-8 July

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am

Absolutely stunning Sigmund! Thanks for sharing! :clap: :clap:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:00 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow Sigmund what a super sighting!!!

It seems you have extreme leopard luck!!!!

Sigmund

Unread post by Sigmund » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:02 pm

lion queen wrote:It seems you have extreme leopard luck!!!!

Well on this trip it seems like it.

Our second sighting was the day after at Marie se Draai.
It was however a brief sighting of a leopard climbing out of a tree and slinking of into the low brush towards the dunes along the Eastern side of the Nossob river bed.

Too far away and over in 10 seconds so no pics to show :(

Two days later on our second of four days at Polentswa, we set of in the direction of Union's End with one of our traveling companions, Casper, leaving approximately 20 minutes before us.
As we arrived at the Lijersdraai picnic area, he made radio contact with us, telling us that he has been on a leopard spoor for the past 20 minutes but could not reach us on the radio.

Misunderstanding him, we assumed that he was actually following tracks along the road although I quietly wondered how he was so absolutely sure that it was leopard spoor.

When we leisurely caught up with him after 10 minutes or so, we had to hear that he was actually following a leopard stalking steenbok for the last half an hour and that the leopard eventually disappeared in the bush seconds before our arrival :(

Anyway, I marked the spot on the GPS and we continued Northwards.
At Kannagauss, we turned around with Casper proceeding further north towards Union's End.
We have barely turned when we had our third leopard sighting (Excluding Casper's earlier sighting)

Like the Marie se Draai sighting this one was of a leopard walking parallel to the road, down the Nossob River bed before slinking of into the low brush on the other side of the Nossob. Once again too far to get any pics but a definite leopard sighting none the less :D

And then, 1,4 kilometres to the north of where I saved Casper's sighting on my GPS, as we turned a bend in the road, this fine specimen climbed into the road right in front of us :D

From Facebook I have had suggestions that this might be Safran?
Hoping to have it confirmed here?
Attachments
Img_4409.jpg
Img_4405.jpg
Img_4400.jpg
2015 Berg en Dal 19 Sep - Biyamiti 20-22 Sep - Lower Sabie 22-26 Sep - Satara 26-30 Sep
Tambotie 30 Sep - 2 Oct

2016 Nossob 24-25 June - Polentswa 26-30 June - Mata Mata 1-3 July - Rooiputs 4-6 July
Augrabies 7-8 July

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:26 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Wow wow wow!!!

I had a quick look at the ID guide and it does look like Saffran to me too! :thumbs_up:

You have all my sympathy with the 5 seconds sightings, we've had them too! :wall:

But these others make up for the quick sightings!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Another great Leopard sighting Sigmund! Lucky you! :clap: :clap:

Sigmund

Unread post by Sigmund » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:13 pm

After packing up at Mata Mata on the morning of 4 July, we slowly made our way south on our way to Rooiputs.

After taking the loops at Dalkeith and 14th, we decided to skip the 13th boorgat loop and continue down the main road.

As we came to the southernmost exit of the 13th boorgat loop (In other words the one closest to Tweerivieren), I noticed a group of approximately 6 giraffes 60 to 70 meters to our left.
What grabbed my attention was that they were all facing the same direction (towards 13th borehole) staring intently at something.

I stopped and watched them for a while (30 seconds) when the all suddenly turned south abruptly and ran for about 30 meters before stopping, turning as one and facing back towards 13th.

I then slowly turned in at the 13th loop road (in the direction that their attention was focussed) and had not even travelled 50 meters when a leopard crossed the hill/dune next to us and proceeded in a southern direction.

Having a fairly large vehicle (Toyota Landcruiser) and towing an off-road trailer I had to execute a 30 point plus about turn in the narrow road so as to not venture "off-road" in an attempt not to lose sight of the leopard (our fifth sighting 8) ) and follow her walking in a southerly direction next to the road.

Unfortunately although staying parallel to the road and affording us an opportunity to spend at least 15 minutes viewing her, she never came closer than approximately 100 meters from the road and therefor pictures are not too great :?

We believe this to have been Masego but I'm sure the experts will soon confirm or correct.
Attachments
Img_5382.jpg
Img_5391.jpg
Tambotie 30 Sep - 2 Oct

Augrabies 7-8 July

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Wow for reading the signs so well!!! And making a 30 plus point turn!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sad the leopard never came closer to the road, but still a nice sighting!!!

I'm far from an expert, but looking at the leopard under the tree, it seems to me more like Barolong that you've seen.

Thank you so much for sharing!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sigmund

Unread post by Sigmund » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 pm

lion queen wrote: it seems to me more like Barolong that you've seen.

With the sighting of Barolong and two cubs on the 9th, that would be interesting (us sighting Barolong that is) :)

The reason for suspecting that it might have been Masego is not based on any physical characteristics of the leopard sighted, but rather by the chain of events preceding the sighting.....but all of us involved could of course be totally wrong 8)

Leaving Mata Mata, one of our traveling companions had an approximate 30 minute lead on us.
They contacted us when they sighted a leopard at the 13th borehole loop entrance closest to Mata Mata.
From my understanding the leopard was walking parallel/away from them in the direction of the watering hole at 13th.

When we later on passed 13th on the "main road" we had a view of 2 or 3 vehicles at the watering hole as we drove past (Driving on the main road you have a view on the "parking area" along the loop right at the watering hole)

When we encountered the leopard 10 minutes later (30 point turn completed and back on the main road following the cat), a vehicle belonging to an acquaintance of mine came from the 13th borehole loop and followed us at a distance.
I recognised the registration plates in my rear-view mirror and called him up to our vehicle pointing out the leopard to them.

They then told me that theirs were one of the vehicles that I spotted down at the watering hole and that they have been there for a while observing a leopard which they believed to be Miera (I suspect that this was the same leopard that my traveling companions observed half an hour earlier approaching 13th) and then ventured a guess that the leopard that we were observing at that stage might be Masego.

So, as you can see....all based on wild assumptions and the fact that Masego had been spotted around 13th and 14th daily for the past 2 months or so. :roll:

The proximity of Urikaruus (where Barolong was spotted with the cubs) to 13th lends credibility to your suspicions though :thumbs_up:
Tambotie 30 Sep - 2 Oct

Augrabies 7-8 July

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Gosh, but you have been lucky with Leopard sightings Sigmund! We have yet to see a Leopard in Kgalagadi, but hopefully we will have more luck the next time! :clap: :clap:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Wow what a chain of events preceding the sighting!!! Always interesting to get all these additional info!

Miera is about the only leopard I don't need the ID guide to ID. We've over the years seen her so many times and I really really love her to bits. But for all the others I need that guide!!! :P

I'm sure wanderw or AstroMatt (once he has enjoyed all the leopard sightings in KTP) will be along with real expert knowledge on exactly which leopard you've seen.

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:15 pm

@Sigmund - Wow! What a trip! Spot on with your ID of the Auchterlonie female and Safran, What time did you see The Auchterlonie female on the 24th?Also, what time did you see Safran on the 27th(2nd day at Polentswa?)
Also, if possible, could you ask Casper to report his sighting of the leopard trying to catch a steenbok, to the project. It was probably Safran, but would be good to make sure as different leopards have been seen very close to one another in the past.

As for your 13th Borehole leopard - I have just returned from an 'out of africa' trip and am trying to adjust back to African internet. At the moment I cannot open your images of the 13th BH leo. If you see this, is it possible to crop your image and post again on the forum, otherwise I will get back to you with a positive ID once I can open your images. Many thanks!
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”