Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Touareg
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by Touareg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:52 am

We had a great KTP trip from 8 tp 16 December seeing Leopard every day. We saw 3 Leopards in total, Miera, Tsamma and N!xau. Here are images of Tsamma and N!xau. Miera was under a bush next to the road with a Springbok kill, but I only got a few head shots to do the id.

We saw Tsamma crossing the road between 13th and 14th, walk up to a dead Springbok lying in the river bed and drag is under a large bush. Therafter she crossed the road again, climbed a tree and enjoyed another Springbok for breakfast.

Kgalagadi - Dec '13_01095 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D4
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1250
Exposure Bias -1 EV
Flash No Flash

Here is N!xau just 3km South of the Grootkolk turnoff.

Kgalagadi - Dec '13_03893 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D4
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 600 mm
ISO Speed 1250

Another shot of Tsamma after she visited Urikaruus waterhole on the morning of 16 December at 04:40 am. She walked under under 2 and up to the camp attendants unit, smelled the stairs and walked under the unit and up the hill behind the unit.

Kgalagadi - Dec '13_04936 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D4
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1250
Exposure Bias -2/3 EV
Flash On, Return detected
[b] Another day in paradise.

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi Touareg!
Wow! Leopard every day! You sure were lucky and had a great trip! :dance: :thumbs_up: Thanks for posting these beautiful pix!

Lovely sighting of Tsamma with the springbok! Seems like she is becoming an efficient huntress.

Great sighting of N!xau ! Nice to know that he is fine. I think the last recorded sighting that AstroMatt has of him, he seemed to have been in a fight and was looking a bit worse for wear.

Your leopard at Urikaruus - This is not Tsamma but Tshidi, the young male.

If you can, please fill in the sightings form in the link at the end of my post - this info would really help the project! Many thanks! :D
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Wow! Some great sightings have appeared whilst i've been in the park...great info for the project. Thanks Wanderw for checking the id's :)

We've had an amazing few weeks. In total we had 6 leopard sightings of which 3 were really special. I can't post pics yet but here are the details.

7/12/13 2kms south urikaruus we saw dakotah under a bush on the calcrite, lots of people had the sighting. He came down just before gate close.

10/12/13 18km south grootkolk. Tebogo feeding on a springbok next to the road. He stalked a hyena and then ran away when chased. This lead us to mum far away in a tree. Later that day they were together in the river. A second untouched kill was in a near tree.

11/12/13 same location as above. We found N!xau on the road side looking full and second stashed kill almost all gone. He went quickly over the road and vanished. We left and returned an hour later and bumped into Safran walking in the road. She went to kill in tree and fed. A bit later N!xau suddenly appeared and Safran ran off. He then fed. Unfortunately bots army guys got out of their cars and sacred him off. We returned at 4 to find Tebogo walking towards the kill. He fed for a while and then drank from the river...and i mean river!

Pretty much the only car at both these day long sightings :)

12/12/13 12km south grootkolk. N!xau with a finished off wildebeast in the river bed. Couldn't stay long due to move.
I then saw pics of him making a second wilde kill 2 days later! He's a big tough guy.

19/12/13 Warona up a tree at munro hiding from a big male lion.

20/12/13 slightly north of munro we found Warona lying nice and relaxed on a large weaver nest. She was very interested in what they were doing. She then came down and tormented a tortoise before stalking a ground squirrel and missing the kill by inches. She's looking great and is very entertaining :)

So that is all of them. We heard of sightings of Miera and Tsamma, but didn't find them.
Pics and video to follow later...watch this space ;)
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Evel

Unread post by Evel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Touareg wrote:Another shot of Tsamma after she visited Urikaruus waterhole on the morning of 16 December at 04:40 am. She walked under under 2 and up to the camp attendants unit, smelled the stairs and walked under the unit and up the hill behind the unit.

Kgalagadi - Dec '13_04936 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D4
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1250
Exposure Bias -2/3 EV
Flash On, Return detected

Thanks for the photo Touareg, we missed the leopard on the 16th Dec as we were showering in no 1 and 2 at the same time between 4:40 and 4:50am… shows you need somebody on spotting duty at all times :D

Touareg
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Touareg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi Evel. I was wondering where #1 and #2 were with the sighting :D . I had to drag my son out the bathroom in a hurry when I saw him at the water hole.

I have also written a blog here about the various Leopards we have seen over the years.

http://nealwcooper.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... -leopards/
[b] Another day in paradise.

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Happy New Year to everyone!

To start 2014 off in the right way i thought I'd put up some photos from our first leopard sighting of the December trip.

2013-12-07 at 09:30 ~2kms south of Urikaruus.

A zoom in on all we could initially see.

After repositioning the car we found a better view and he obliged by lifting his head allowing for us to make a positive identification. However, this view was short lived as he was scared away by a large overland truck that had stopped.

12:44 - After a trip back to Urikaruus for lunch we returned to find him back under the bush. :)

16:20 - For the next few hours the traffic along the road was very quiet and we managed to get some lovely views as he repositioned himself.

18:49 - Towards sunset he decided to move further over the ridge and he could only be seen when imitating a southern right whale!

19:20 - We decided to quickly check on some lions down the road and to give him some space to come down. When we returned he had come down to the river but didn't like the attention of two cars and went back up theridge.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:04 am

I forgot to mention that we did have a tip off :wink:

F1/2014

Koppycat

Unread post by Koppycat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 am

AstroMatt wrote:Happy New Year to everyone!

To start 2014 off in the right way i thought I'd put up some photos from our first leopard sighting of the December trip.

Hi Matt and a Happy New Year to you too.

We were the ones who flagged you down and told you about this leopard and then subsequently dropped your keys off at Urikaruss a few days later. It is so awesome to see some decent shots of this cat as we could only see his head and the obscured side view. I know my wife will love to see these and it was a definite tick off the bucket list as we had yet to see a Kgalagadi leopard after a few visits!

Keep up the good work and PLEASE keep posting pics of these beautiful cats!

Cheers, Jason

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 am

Lovely sighting of Dakotah AstroMatt! :dance:
Patience pays off! :thumbs_up:
:popcorn:

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 pm

@Koppycat....thanks for letting us know about the leopard :thumbs_up: it really made our day particularly as it was so close to our camp. Thanks also for taking our key back....Eric tried to trick us into believing that you never dropped it off :big_eyes:

So the next sighting we had was in the Grootkolk area. Again we were fortunate enough to have a tip off on the night of the 9th December. Andries informed me that the guests who had just checked into Unit 1 had seen a leopard feeding on a kill some where south of the camp. When I went over to ask them about it they told me that it was exactly 20kms South of Grootkolk but that they hadn't managed to get a photo, even through the leopard was only a few metres from the road. The kill was stashed under a fallen down tree. Whoever this was a big thank you :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

So the following morning we quickly made our way down and and to our amazement we found Tebogo lying just off the road next to a fallen down tree cleaning his paws at just after 6am. We couldn't see him well at first as the driedoring was very high but we could see the kill and enough of him for an ID.

Pretty soon he decided to get up and go for a little wander. He was very relaxed and looked well fed.

We then noticed that far on the other side of the river there was a spotted hyena coming down the bank with a leg in his mouth. :? It had rained a lot the past few days and there was a lot of water in the river. He came down to drink and bath a bit.

To our utter amazement Tebogo decided that he was quite interested in the hyena and started to stalk him. He walked directly at him and started to crouch down low! :hmz:

Eventually the hyena caught wind of him and charged. Tebogo quickly darted away in the direction of a big tree. What he was up to I don't know...I guess young cats are just curious! :roll:

The hyena then made a be line directly back along the route Tebogo had taken and we through he was going to steal the kill :( But for some reason he ignored it and wandered back across the river and up the bank towards where he'd come from. It was whilst watching him that we suddenly realised that there was a second leopard hanging out in a tree! :big_eyes: By this time it was 7am and we had another car at the sighting.

I've only just realised this tonight that for the second time in my life I've taken a photo of a leopard and not realised it! :redface: If you didn't notice it then in the picture of the hyena with the leg in his mouth you can see a leopard hanging out! :slap:

We were able to identify the second leopard as Safran (even at this far distance). She was not happy with the hyena sniffing around. I've also just noticed tonight that there was a springbok head in the tree! So there were two kills.

Tebogo then decided that he hadn't seen enough of hyenas so he decided to go and say a second hello :wall: He walked directly up the bank towards the hyena and mum. You can see all three in this picture.

Unsurprisingly the hyena charged again and Tebogo dashed off. He was lucky to make it into a small near by tree before the hyena arrived. The hyena sat under this tree for quite a while. In all the commotion Safran managed to slip out of the tree and disappeared somewhere. The hyena eventually wandered off and Tebogo came down and rested under the tree.

By now it was 8am and we had to leave in order to nip down to Lijersdraai for a loo stop. However, this was not the end of this sighting...more to follow when I've sorted the afternoon pictures. :tongue:

F1/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:44 am

An amazing sighting! :dance: What luck to see Tebogo,Safran and hyena interaction! Very :mrgreen:
:popcorn: :popcorn:

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:45 pm

I've just been going back through the posts that I missed whilst I was away and would like to thank everyone for submitting them directly to me as well. It really does make the record keeping easier.
@Wanderw thanks for keeping on top of all the identifications...as usual they are 100% correct. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

wildcatzoo wrote:The only other leopard we saw in KTP was on October 30 just north of Kij Kij. We came across 8 or so stopped cars, and saw two lionesses under a tree. Then I noticed the big lenses all pointed up into a different tree, so we repositioned and saw:

I believe this is a young male, but can't find him in the guide. The next day we spoke with a guy from a Mercedes van that was at the sighting, he hung out for 5 hours until the cat came down safely after the lionesses left.

This sighting was reported to me in person when I gave my talk at cape union mart in November. I can confirm that it is indeed a new leopard and has been named Urinanib after the white dune that was behind him. The photos that were given to me clearly show that he is male and the teeth suggest he is still quite young. There aren't many leopards that are regularly seen along the Kij KIj stretch so lets hope he sticks around and makes a few appearances.

F1/2014

Rookie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rookie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi AstroMatt
We have just returned and had 2 leopard sightings. One on 25/12 - what a Christmas pressie. We saw her (I think) twice on the same day (morning and afternoon) between Houmoed and Monro. I thought it may be the Auchtolonie Female, but not very good at spot matching! :)
Then saw the other one at the Nossob waterhole at 20:30 at night on 29/12.

I have some photos of them both which I will resize and post for you probably tomorrow.
KTP - 27/12 - 3/1/16

Koru

Unread post by Koru » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Thought I'd jump in with a couple of photos you might enjoy before Rookie posts what I am sure will be show stoppers!! :popcorn:

AstroMatt on the patrol for leopards in the midafternoon heat ... (note lucky leopard charm)

...rewarded by a chilling predator stare from Dakotah!

Just goes to show you can get a lucky sighting at any time of day ... although in fairness we already knew he was there (see AstroMatt's posts above) :wink:
"The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it." - Robert Swan.

Rookie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rookie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Photos of 2 leopard sightings.

Near Monro waterhole

Nossob waterhole

KTP - 27/12 - 3/1/16

Return to “Arid Parks”