Skip to Content

Lions in Twee Rivieren camp - Sunday 20/8/2017

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lions in Twee Rivieren camp - Sunday 20/8/2017

Unread post by Mfezi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Firstly, mods please move this post it if is not at the right place...

I was camping at Twee Rivieren from Friday 18/8/2017. On Sunday evening at around 22:00, I heard a noise next to my tent. Well I grabbed my torch and went to have a look... On the side where my chair was standing, nothing. Then on the other side - as I shown with the torch, the light fell on three young lions with the head rest of my chair. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: . Well needless to say I got back into my tent faster than what I got out!!

The following morning, staff warned us not to move around since there were lions in the camp and they were busy chasing them out. A short while later, they returned to say the lions were out.

Anyone else had similar experiences in the KTP? This was my first time to the KTP. What a memorable moment!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lions in Twee Rivieren camp - Sunday 20/8/2017

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 am

Mfezi what a hair raising experience :shock: :shock:
Fantastic that the staff acted so proactively otherwise who knows :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
Nothing like a walk on the wild side of life! :dance: :dance:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:42 am

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

What a scary experience. It just shows how we need to remain alert at all times and never take anything for granted while in the bush.

:gflower: to the staff for quick reactions.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 am

Mfezi :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
I think that I would have been frozen to the spot!

Well done staff :gflower: :gflower:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:55 am

Wow, Mfezi!!

That was pretty unusual for one of the main, fenced, camps in KTP - I think. Lucky no-one wanted to go to the loo in the middle of the night!

At the Wilderness Camps in KTP there are often lions moving between the tents/chalets. Once we were at Grootkolk and had to stay in our tent for a few hours, while the lions came through the camp - luckily we had the food and drink, but our relations in another tent had nothing and had to wait for the "all clear" to come and join us!

There are often lions taking advantage of shade at the picnic sites in KTP and visitors should always have a good look around before getting out of their vehicles.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Indeed a very scary experience Mfezi! Glad you are still with us to tell the tale! :clap: :clap:

Well done to the staff who chased them out of the camp! :clap: :clap:
"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light". Aristotle Onassis.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Oops, that must have been quite an experience :big_eyes: :big_eyes: .

We stayed at Gharagab during 2015 and whilst I was busy packing the bakkie to leave the next morning, my SO asked me if I try to commit suicide because a lioness was walking towards the bakkie on her way to the water hole, whilst I was at the back. Needless to say that I was back up the steps to safety in seconds :shock: .
Always be humble and understanding.

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

“Safari life makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne — bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.”Karen Blixen

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:33 pm

The lions probably came in from the Two Rivers side. I suspect that night gate closing time on that side is erratic and the gate is certainly not watched during the day. When I camp at Two Rivers I consider myself to be in an unfenced camp :shock:

jeremyl

Unread post by jeremyl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:41 pm

:cam: Awesome...

pedro maia
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by pedro maia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 pm

I was staying outside the park but I visited it those days, monday morning at the park reception I was told that a lion had been inside the camp during the night, they gave me no further details, but later that day we went on a sunset drive and our ranger told us that there were not one but three lions and that they made a bit of a mess at the camping zone and also that there were some casualties amongst the staff's chickens.

I'm sure that if I saw what Mfezi saw my reaction would be much more... phisiological, and of the worst kind :P .

I must say that I was quite surprised to find out that the gate to the park roads is opened and unguarded during the day, unlike the gates at Nossob and Mata Mata, which one has topen to get in and out, although the ranger told us that the lions jumped over the fence and didn't get inside by the gate.

Maybe those were the same three lions we saw, at a distance, tuesday at the end of the day not far from Twee Rivieren, one male (a young one, I think, and two lionesses, one of them with a collar.

Robbert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Robbert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:18 pm

WOW!!!! What a scary experience :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: !!!
But I am not surprised.... the entrance to the park is so far (and out of sight) from the reception and camp site that it is easy for lions to walk in. At Nossob one expect the same, the exit to the north is quite far from the busiest part of the camp and not everyone is that disciplined to close the gate we noticed... :evil:
Award Public Sighting of the Month December 2006

Kalahari 17/02-24/02/2018
Mokala 24/03-27/03/2018

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:01 am

shfish wrote:The lions probably came in from the Two Rivers side. I suspect that night gate closing time on that side is erratic and the gate is certainly not watched during the day. When I camp at Two Rivers I consider myself to be in an unfenced camp :shock:

Yeah shfish, that is most certainly the way I will be looking at KTP in future. :D Those lions will definitely not keep me away from KTP :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 am

pedro maia wrote:I was staying outside the park but I visited it those days, monday morning at the park reception I was told that a lion had been inside the camp during the night, they gave me no further details, but later that day we went on a sunset drive and our ranger told us that there were not one but three lions and that they made a bit of a mess at the camping zone and also that there were some casualties amongst the staff's chickens.

I'm sure that if I saw what Mfezi saw my reaction would be much more... phisiological, and of the worst kind :P .

I must say that I was quite surprised to find out that the gate to the park roads is opened and unguarded during the day, unlike the gates at Nossob and Mata Mata, which one has topen to get in and out, although the ranger told us that the lions jumped over the fence and didn't get inside by the gate.

Maybe those were the same three lions we saw, at a distance, tuesday at the end of the day not far from Twee Rivieren, one male (a young one, I think, and two lionesses, one of them with a collar.

Yes Pedro, I now know what it means when they say you could hear your own heart beating... :hmz: :big_eyes: Three lions were really the very last thing that went through my mind to see when I heard the noise outside my tent... :hmz:

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 am

What a scary expierence :big_eyes:
Thank goodness no one was injured, attacked or harmed...
Hope those naughty guys dont enter the camp again :pray: :pray:

Return to “Arid Parks”