Skip to Content

Accommodation in KTP?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Captainron

Accommodation in KTP?

Unread post by Captainron » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I am looking to get over in late April to perhaps hit KTP for a week with the family but there seems to be no availability at Mata Mata or Nossob and only 3 nights at Twee Revieren? 23rd April to 30th April are the dates I am looking at.

This is outside of school holidays and I never imagined they would be fully booked? Is there an errror/are they doing refurbishments/are they fully booked?

Gutted
10000k's away and longing to be there

Skukuza - 24 April 2018

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Accommodation in KTP?

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Captainron wrote:I am looking to get over in late April to perhaps hit KTP for a week with the family but there seems to be no availability at Mata Mata or Nossob and only 3 nights at Twee Revieren? 23rd April to 30th April are the dates I am looking at.

This is outside of school holidays and I never imagined they would be fully booked? Is there an errror/are they doing refurbishments/are they fully booked?

Gutted

Hi Captainron,

It is getting extremely hard to get any accommodation in KTP if you don't book 11 months in advance. BUT having said that, keep looking at availability every day, great cancellations do come up from time to time!!

The 27th of April is a Public holiday in South Africa and the 30th a Public School holiday.

The 3 term Private School holidays is from 11 April to 2 May 2018, which might play a roll in availability.

I would book the 3 days in TR and keep looking for cancellations.

I do hope you can manage a visit with the family!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Captainiron. I agree with everything lionqueen has said.

KTP accommodation is becoming increasingly difficult to book - even 11 months in advance, the camps fill within minutes of the booking opening. But, as lionqueen says, cancellations do occur and you should book what you can get now and keep checking for availability and snap up anything that you see, as soon as you see it.

Good luck.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

inyanga 1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi,
as another UK visitor I found it frustrating getting bookings in KTP. We probably won't bother in the future...

We eventually booked nothing like we wanted, but in the correct dates. We then watched for it seems like weeks to get anywhere other than TR. Eventually we were successful.

Although online bookings are pay up now now, they have a cancellation timeframe which might be a window of opportunity for you.

Likewise telephone bookings have a shorter timeframe to pay up front.

But given KTP is great (see our TR in April/May) it's not surprising that it's popular.

I would be interested to know if Sanparks could change their booking conditions to deter speculative bookings (do I mean professional tour companies grabbing the spots ? I do) by a more punative deposit loss. But if you're onselling bookings at twice, fouur or ten times the cost even that detterrent might not work.. Just look at the Pretoriaskop camp Enclave fiasco.. Perhaps one should limted as to the number of days/weeks that a spot can be booked?

For KTP perhaps there should be 30% of the chalets/campsites available for pre-booking only via ballot (not auction) up to 9 months in advance... mm that's a thought
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year (2017)

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Captainron wrote:I am looking to get over in late April to perhaps hit KTP for a week with the family but there seems to be no availability at Mata Mata or Nossob and only 3 nights at Twee Revieren? 23rd April to 30th April are the dates I am looking at.

Gutted

Also remember to cosider public holidays - 27 April and 1 May are both public holidays, another reason accommodation could be scarce.

Captainron

Unread post by Captainron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Aw man!! Going to give KTP a miss then and do the Kruger area instead.
10000k's away and longing to be there

Skukuza - 24 April 2018

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 am

Anyone, wanting to pick up a great booking in KTP for this December please look Accommodation Exchange :thumbs_up:

Return to “Arid Parks”