Skip to Content

Lesser known campites?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
novw

Lesser known campites?

Unread post by novw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 pm

I have searched and searched, but I seem unable to locate _any_ information on the Matopi 1 / Matopi 2 campites? Same goes for Mosomane and Polentswa.

We would like to drive in from Mata-Mata (fill up on fuel). Move on to Matopi1 or 2, next day on to Mosomane. Onwards to Polentswa (fill up fuel in Nossob). Last night in Sesatswa, and out thru Kaa into Botswana. We will be driving a 4wd camping mobile...

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Lesser known campites?

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm

You need to allow yourself more time to reach Matopi. Book a night at Nossob before entering Botswana. Also Mosomane cannot be reached in one day from Matopi and you need to be more than one vehicle to drive the wilderness trail pass Mosomane.

Rather book Nossob day 1 (must enter early at Mata-Mata), Matopi / Mpayathuthla / Khiding day 2 -3 (to get one day of rest), Mosemane pan (day 4) and Polentswa Day 5 -6 , Sizatswe (day 7).

Alternative is not to exit at Kaa but rather Mabua gate. Take into account that you will drive between 15 - 30 km/h most of the time in very sandy conditions. After Nossob you will not get any fuel until Hukuntsi / Kang.

Why not do Polentswa first and then Mabua and exit the park from there skipping Mosomane. After KTP where do you want to go to in Botswana?

Some camps at Mabua were privatised costing $35 per person per night for foreigners.
Next trip: Kgalagadi in July 2017

Last trip: Tsitsikamma NP, Addo Elephant NP and Mountain Zebra NP

novw

Unread post by novw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Son godin wrote:You need to allow yourself more time to reach Matopi. Book a night at Nossob before entering Botswana. Also Mosomane cannot be reached in one day from Matopi and you need to be more than one vehicle to drive the wilderness trail pass Mosomane.

Thank you!

We are not set for number of days. what I read here (new info to me), to travel the "Mabuasehube Wilderness trail" from Malatso to Nossob thru Mosomane you need 2 vehicles. Hm. Our travel partners canceled :( So according to you, we should take the "Nossob / Bosobogolo trail" in and out. Good to know!

Son godin wrote:Rather book Nossob day 1 (must enter early at Mata-Mata), Matopi / Mpayathuthla / Khiding day 2 -3 (to get one day of rest), Mosemane pan (day 4) and Polentswa Day 5 -6 , Sizatswe (day 7).

Still leaves the impossibility to make reservations at Matopi & Polentswa & Sizatswe. We are traveling early Jun ('17) , would it be safe to not make reservations now already?

Son godin wrote:Alternative is not to exit at Kaa but rather Mabua gate. Take into account that you will drive between 15 - 30 km/h most of the time in very sandy conditions. After Nossob you will not get any fuel until Hukuntsi / Kang.

Don't like sand :) And since we travel solo, we need to be careful

Son godin wrote:Why not do Polentswa first and then Mabua and exit the park from there skipping Mosomane. After KTP where do you want to go to in Botswana?

Not a clue yet. Probably north, "direction" Victoria Falls. (we have 30 days to return to Windhoek, and have some experience in driving African roads...)

Son godin wrote:Some camps at Mabua were privatised costing $35 per person per night for foreigners.

Wow. That's expensive!

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Do you want to go this year? It will be tough to get bookings now and even for Botswana. Have you tried booking agents yet. I will PM a few names.

Vic Falls are quite a distance, but possible to travel safer routes. You can take a tar road from Bokspits (60 km south of Twee Rivieren) and head to Tshabong and Sekoma where you will connect on the main trans Kalahari highway (A2).

novw

Unread post by novw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Son godin wrote:Do you want to go this year? It will be tough to get bookings now and even for Botswana. Have you tried booking agents yet. I will PM a few names.

Vic Falls are quite a distance, but possible to travel safer routes. You can take a tar road from Bokspits (60 km south of Twee Rivieren) and head to Tshabong and Sekoma where you will connect on the main trans Kalahari highway (A2).

What you are saying is june is busy season? And we can't just head on into Botswana and pick a campsite on a daily basis? Like in: "its 5 o' clock, lets start looking for a camp site" ?

On this specific website I see (plenty) of available spaces for the time we travel (jun 2017). I can reserve most locations today for this june. But... I am looking into the smaller campgrounds. We are not in need of a travel agent. We have a 4x4 camper and enough experience to get ourselves around :) We are still planning our route. I have noticed Victoria Falls is quite a distance. It is just an idea. Not a "must". We could just as easily return to Namibia and go north (Etosha) . We are free to do whatever we like, wherever we like for 30 days.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

To be able to enter the park as an overnight visitor you need a minimum booking of 2 nights. At the moment only a few sites available at Twee Rivieren and best to book before all are gone. Nossob and Mata-Mata hardly any campsites available. June is not school holidays but still very popular as its cooler than the summer months.

Quite a large % of people make use of booking agents for Botswana but you are welcome to try their office in Gaborone. It took them 5 months to sent us our booking forms while the booking agent within a week. Even if you have experience of touring there is no reason why you want to do bookings on your own for Botswana and strongly advice using a booking agency for Botswana. Sanparks bookings is very easy to use and you can go on-line tonight and book a few sites on RSA side for a start.

Only office available for Rooiputs / Polentswa reception is at Two Rivers / Twee Rivieren. They can however not help you with bookings for campsite as they need to contact Gaborone and an easy excuse not to help you. At Botswana campsite you will find no reception or any official, so you can't just arrive at 5 pm. Some-one might arrive later that booked and won't enjoy extra company. The number of sites are also limited and quickly booked out.

Cmpsites under DWNP, excluding Swartpan / Kaa region:
Rooiputs - 6 sites
Polentswa - 3 sites
Matopi 1 - 1 site
Matopi 2 - 1 site
Lesholoago - 2 site
Khiding - 2 sites
Bosobogolo - 2 sites
Monamodi - 2 site

Campsites under Inter Tourism (expensive ones)
http://www.inter-tourismgroup.com/
Mpayathutlwa - 2 sites plus 1 overflow
Mabuasehube - 4 sites

Use the tracks4africa websites to get more info per site, e.g. availability of water, shower, longdrop and images

https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings/it ... e-shelter/

Here is a few of my own photo's from Rooiputs and Polentswa. Safety wise its best to settle in early.

Rooiputs:

Polentswa:

novw

Unread post by novw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

ah. oh. major duh on me. I thought the entire Kgalagadi park was under South-African management. Including the campsites... And it looks like Botswana is "oldfashioned Africa".

I just read up on the DWNP (Botswana National Park Service), and as it looks to me now, I fear I will not be able to get in touch with them in time. They seem quite unresponsive to mail / phone / communication. Ahwell.

That leaves us 3 options: 1: go with it, and try locally (not advised) 2: email, and wait (not smart) 3: stay on South-African side of the park (reservations thru internet :) ). the http://www.inter-tourismgroup.com does not seem to offer just overnight stay. You must book a safari.

So: change of plans it is :) Thank you for your assistance!

novw

Unread post by novw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Son godin wrote:Image

Shoo! We have reservation here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :whistle: :whistle:

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Pleasure to help. If you were planning to go in July you could have joined up with us at Rooiputs and Polentswa. We are also traveling alone with our teenage son and there will always be some extra space on a campsite.

What you can try to do is to see if other would like to share by joining the Facebook group and asking for assistance, e.g. Kgalagadi Sightings, SANParks-Kgalagadi and Kgalagadi Bookings Available / Requested.

June is outside school holidays and during that time you get visitors that are not restricted by school holiday as well as international visitors. If not now you will one day spend time at these wild campsites. It took as 13 years before we tried when my son was old enough to go.

Another nice trip is the Nossob Eco 4x4 route between Polentswa and Twee Rivieren. A ranger goes along with you and you camp in the dunes at three different campsites. I will check for a few links and post it for you. The route is done on a weekly base and not so popular so maybe you can get a spot on it. It falls under SANParks, but cannot be booked on-line. Starts on a Monday to Thursday.

Link to a trip report - Nossob 4x4 Eco route that we've done end of Nov with forum members.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57752

Link to information on the route.
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kgalagad ... sob4x4.php

ian.heyns@sanparks.org

Tourism manager:

christa.vonelling@sanparks.org

novw

Unread post by novw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:31 pm

LOL. I have read the description of the tour, and wow. We seriously _love_ it. One (tiny... ahum...) thing: "Do not overload your roofrack if equipped. They tend to get damaged."

britz_stx.jpg

will be our vehicle :) :) :)

Return to “Arid Parks”