Skip to Content

Kgalagadi Travel Times

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
nancybsimmons

Kgalagadi Travel Times

Unread post by nancybsimmons » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:52 am

Pardon me if I missed this information somewhere here on the forums, but I searched and couldn't find it. What I am looking for is driving times between camps on the two rivers that do NOT involve going all the way back to Twee Rivieren. We will have a 4x4.

I have reservations for next August for several wilderness camps in Kgalagadi. Due to someone else canceling, I was able to snatch up night at Grootkolk (where I really want to go!) but now I am having some second thoughts about being able to get in and out of that camp since there was nothing available at Nossob the nights before and after. Here is what I need: driving times a) from Urikaruus to Grootkolk, and b) from Grootkolk to Kalahari Tented Camp. Can anyone provide these, or point me to another post that has more driving times? I have the standard list from the park literature, but not the times between the camps mentioned. Thanks!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi Travel Times

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi nancybsimmons.

I think you will be OK travelling between those camps. You will just have to leave camp as early as allowed and drive steadily - don't stop for anything but very special sightings! You can have a re-fuel (humans and vehicle) and leg-stretch at Nossob, as you go past. The Upper Dune road is not too sandy and you can drive up to the limit quite easily. We have found animal sightings on that road very sparse and I usually travel at about 40 km/hr on that road.

According to one source it is 217km from Grootkolk to Urikaruus and 264km from Grootkolk to KTC. At 25 km/hr that is just under 9 hours and 10.5 hours respectively. In fact, you will probably average more than 25 km/hr. We once did Gharagab to Kieliekrankie and that is listed as 291km. We left Gharagab as early as possible and reached Kieliekrankie with plenty of time to spare!
Punda Maria 21-25 May 2016
Shingwedzi 25 - 28 May 2016
Letaba 28 - 30 May 2016

nancybsimmons

Unread post by nancybsimmons » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I guess we will probably give Grootkolk a pass then (darn it)..... that sounds like just too much driving for only one night there. We'll add an extra night at Bitterpan and have a bit more relaxing time then.
Nancy

August 2016
Kruger: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Bushmans Wilderness Trail, Satara, Olifants, Punda Maria
Kgalagadi: Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob, Bitterpan
Also Mapungubwe, Marakele, Augrabies Falls, Mokala, and Golden Gate NPs

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:19 pm

nancybsimmons,

The time it will take you to Bitterpan from Urikaruus will be long than to Grootkolk that is only 37 km further due to the difficult 4x4 track that you can't travel faster than 30 km per hour. Why don't you do both. You can see a lot in one days time and you wont be that stress out if you take 1 night Grootkolk followed by 1 night Bitterpan.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

nancybsimmons

Unread post by nancybsimmons » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Unfortunately the only accommodations available after the night we would be at Grootkolk would be either Twee Rivieren or Kalahari Tented Camp -- Bitterpan and Nossob are both booked. So we would be driving a huge distance two days in a row, not much fun.
Nancy

August 2016
Kruger: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Bushmans Wilderness Trail, Satara, Olifants, Punda Maria
Kgalagadi: Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob, Bitterpan
Also Mapungubwe, Marakele, Augrabies Falls, Mokala, and Golden Gate NPs

Russ

Unread post by Russ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi

this may be a bit late for a reply but I haven't been on the forum for awhile, if its no longer relevant then my apologises.

my favourite camp is Grootkolk, my wife's is Urikaruus so traveling between the two is a common feature to our KTP trips. Urikaruus to Grootkolk takes +/- 8 hours, we leave about 07.00-07.30 and arrive about 15.00 that allows an hour to unpack the car then out, turning north, for a late afternoon drive. we have had great sightings of Lions. we then normally drive from Grootkolk to Mata Mata, for this journey I would say add another hour drive time. both trips are via the upper dune road not the bitterpan 4x4 track. they may be long drives but who knows what you will come across? I believe its worth it but the choice is yours.

our next trip is May 2016 and we couldn't get a single night at any wilderness camp so I keep an eye out for cancellations, so if you have a night at Grootkolk I say go for it.

Russ
my mind and body may be in england my soul is in africa

Return to “Arid Parks”