Skip to Content

Mokala NP: advice, etc

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
sternschnubi

Re: Mokala NP: advice, etc

Unread post by sternschnubi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:52 am

Hello Mokala-friends,
we will stay at Mokala at the end of feb. Any advices for the best campsite number at Motswedi?
Is there any possibility to make a night drive if you stay at Motswedi?
Thanks for you help.
Regards
Tanja

NadiaL
Guru
Guru

Unread post by NadiaL » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 am

@ Stephan Groen,
That's excellent. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at Mokala.
Than you for the compliments, I will surely convey it to Park Management.

@RhymeZA I'm happy the staff could attend to your parents' needs.

Regards,
Nadia

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by moobox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Hello everybody
So, I am going to Mokala end of March beginning April. I would liek some info please.
1.If you had chooise would it be Lilydale or Mosu?
2.On the accommodation links I dont se much reference to braai facilities. Are these available? And wood as well.
3.Are the restaurants OK? They dont have to be 5 star for me, just OK.

Cheers - Ed

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi Moobox. :)

1. We went there in June 2014, and stayed at Mosu Lodge. :whistle:
2. Nice little braai area at your Bungalo. Wood available. :thumbs_up:
3. Restaurant at Mosu, magic! :wink:

To add to the above, VERY friendly and helpful staff. :D

We really enjoyed our stay and could travel the entire Mokala from Mosu. :thumbs_up:

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy. :mrgreen:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 pm

We have never been to Mokala and am planning a trip for September/October.
The question.... Which camp: Lilydale or Mosu?
Number pf people: 3 adults.
Duration of our stay: 3 nights.
This will be our first trip to this park and we were thinking of staying a bit longer to explore the place a bit. The only criteria: quiet and not too close to the neighbours.
Scadoxus

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers?

visit:
www.sanparkshr.org

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Scadoxus wrote:We have never been to Mokala and am planning a trip for September/October.
The question.... Which camp: Lilydale or Mosu?
Number pf people: 3 adults.
Duration of our stay: 3 nights.
This will be our first trip to this park and we were thinking of staying a bit longer to explore the place a bit. The only criteria: quiet and not too close to the neighbours.

Scadoxus
:lol: any trip to Mokala would be great. :clap:
Mosu Lodge is IMHO is nicer, and closer to the places likely to see more variety of things (birds/mammals). Lilydale is in a more plains type landscape and is on the northern edge of the park so it takes longer to explore to the park south, and nothing to the north.

If you have the time then why not do one night in Lilydale and then two/more in Mosu. At mosu the pleks are spaced in linear fashion and unless you walk aound the perimeter you won't even see your neighbour.

Extra days would allow you to stay for longer in the birdhide, or at a waterhole for longer, but you haven't a vast area to explore. It's no KNP, fortunately.

However an additional day would allow you, from Mosu, to take in a walk/day drive/sunset drive.
The latter is superb because you do the drive and if you've pre booked supper at the Mosu restaurant then it's ready just for your arrival. Now that's what we call service :dance: :dance: :dance: :-)

But what you will find is it's brill :) Enjoy

We are taking a significant detour in our next trip this year JUST to visit Mokala again.

r.
Launch page for 2015 Cape to Namibia trip reports ..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=85498
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

wikus&mandie

Unread post by wikus&mandie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I am to visit Mokala for the first time camping at Motswedi in July 3/7 - 7/7 and have a few questions. This time of the year, what will the weather be, warm days and cold nights? Will it be possible for a night drive from this camp? In leaving I will be on my way to Kgalagadi. Can I follow the dirt road that passes the Mokala Park and join R385 to Douglas, I do not mind travelling on dirt road; rather prefer to travel this way? Or do I need to travel on the N12/N8. can not wait, counting the days.

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by umtali1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Wikus&Mandie, we shall be travelling from Mokala to Augrabies and have decided to take the N12/N8 as we're not sure of the state of the dirt road to Douglas and don't want to get landed with a puncture etc miles from nowhere.
umtali1

2013 Mokala and KNP http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

nancybsimmons

Unread post by nancybsimmons » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 pm

I am looking for advice on where to stay at Mokala for a trip at the end of August/beginning of September 2016. We will have ~2 nights. There will be three of us -- me, my husband, and our 13-year old son. I am torn between Mosu and Lilydale. I like what I have seen of the setting at Lilydale (from the pictures) and I hear that there is more game in the north in the dry season BUT there are no night drives available at Lilydale, nor is there a restaurant for dinner. We really really want to see aardvark and aardwolf sometime on our trip, and this looks like an excellent place for that. Thoughts?
Nancy

August 2016
Kruger: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Bushmans Wilderness Trail, Satara, Olifants, Punda Maria
Kgalagadi: Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob, Bitterpan
Also Mapungubwe, Marakele, Augrabies Falls, Mokala, and Golden Gate NPs

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:50 am

We have only stayed at Mosu camp - twice. The restaurant there is excellent and the accommodation very good.

If you stay at Mosu you can drive through the park to the Lilydale area one day. We did that once and enjoyed the drive. The distances in the park are not great, so you can cover the whole park in one day and then do an evening drive with the park vehicle and guide.
Punda Maria 21-25 May 2016
Shingwedzi 25 - 28 May 2016
Letaba 28 - 30 May 2016

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:54 am

hi,
i would echo the above from hippotragus...

see our two trip reports:
one taken in april this year ...
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75574
one in september 2013
http://www.sanparks.co.za/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=87078

we had time for an excellent night drive which ended up at the restaurant where our pre ordered meals were ready to eat. whilst didn't see those two on our drive, we did see the evidence of their presence; others have seen them.

we found that we could do the loop up via lilydale anticlockwise easily and leisurely in the day. the veld in the northern half is bisected by the road with good sightings of animals and birds.

we didn't use the restaurant at lilydale for lunch (or even late breakfast) on either trip but the views over the park boundary river were nice as were the menus.

obviously you could leave the park from mosu and sneak in more park rather than the N12 by using the gate at the north.

do let us all know how things go ...

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:28 pm

We have stayed at Mosu on a number of times (maybe between 8 - 10 times - 2 nights each everytime). We love the place, but a few things put me off. The most important about Mosu is the system that you have to use that little uncomfortable little luggage trailers to carry your "things" to the chalets. Especially when you do self-catering (as we do) and you have lots of items to "transport" your belongings between the car park and the chalets. It was mentioned to us in the past that they are considering to have a golf cart available - but nothing was done about it. Shade ports were part of the plans - but still nothing.

If you go there once, the use of the little luggage trailers is still okay as the park offers such a lot of positives. But if you go there regularly, it becomes a bit of a drag. I use Mokala as a base when I have to work in nearby Douglas and Modderrivier.

I never liked Lilydale (the few times that I have quickly dropped in). But I decided to give it a go during my last visit (Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th Oct). You do not have the opportunity to watch game coming to the water (as at Mosu - especially when staying in Unit 2) - in spite of the Riet River passing in front of Lilydale. But the absolute tranquility of staying there, not hearing anybody else (from where we stayed in No 2). A bit of a negative is the high lamp poles at Richie which are clearly seen. But I always thought that game is rather scarce in the Lilydale area - but I was proven wrong. We saw herds of roan (some as many as 25 animals in a herd) and lots of sable.

Thus in future Lilydale will be my first option when visiting Mokala again. Yes, you do see a wider variety af game in the Mosu region, but the units and the tranquility of Lilydale is a new favourite.

Presently in Pretoria, tomorrow night in Nelspruit and from Saturday (17th Oct) for 5 nights in Berg-&-Dal.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
5 - 11 May - Punda Maria
12 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 May - 5 June - Satara
6 - 12 June - Lower Sabie
16 - 19 June - Addo

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Stoffel wrote:We have stayed at Mosu on a number of times (maybe between 8 - 10 times - 2 nights each everytime). We love the place, but a few things put me off. The most important about Mosu is the system that you have to use that little uncomfortable little luggage trailers to carry your "things" to the chalets. Especially when you do self-catering (as we do) and you have lots of items to "transport" your belongings between the car park and the chalets. It was mentioned to us in the past that they are considering to have a golf cart available - but nothing was done about it. Shade ports were part of the plans - but still nothing.

If you go there once, the use of the little luggage trailers is still okay as the park offers such a lot of positives. But if you go there regularly, it becomes a bit of a drag. I use Mokala as a base when I have to work in nearby Douglas and Modderrivier..

Stoffel,
I am envious of your repeated visits to Mokala :mrgreen:
but wonder why, if you were dissatisfied by the luggage trailers provided that you:-
didn't comment to reception,
or
asked the camp staff to help move your luggage.
or
worst still - didn't come back

We've only be there a couple of times unfortunately,
but we were always asked ' do you want any help with your luggage?'
by the friendly reception staff. :clap: :clap:

Me, i'm only too happy to expend physical activity pulling the trolley for a couple of minutes to our plek after a long journey,
but i can understand why others might not want to, or more importantly cannot do so. I apologise if you're in the latter category.

The positive benefits of the 'park in the car park' rule is that:-

1 you're not faced with someone's bakkie exhaust 'warming up' in the morning venting into your chalet at breakfast (aka Nossob),

2 The noise of the vehicles driving around rather than walking to the facilities,

3 You can relax in front of your chalet without being pestered by noise/fumes...

As far as I am concerned Mokala is a positive example on how to segregate vehicles and people (clients) in the camp.

Long may it continue..

Return to “Arid Parks”