Skip to Content

Trip to Kgalagadi September 2018

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
travelturtles

Trip to Kgalagadi September 2018

Unread post by travelturtles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello,
We're new to the forum with many questions on KTP.
We're planning on visiting KTP in September 2018, this will be our first visit and looking forward to it.
We will be driving a rented 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser Bushcamper, this will be our third trip Southern Africa.
We hope to be able to book campsites this October and will be happy with what ever is available to us even
though we do have preferences. Are there any recommendations on which way to travel through the park.
Our main question is which route to take as we wish to visit both the South African and Botswana side of the park and
we will be only one 4x4 on our own.
If we enter at Two Rivers and spend a week in the SA part of the park will it be possible for us to then drive across
to Mabuasehube Area and across to the Trans Khalahari Highway. If this is possible where would we exit the park,
which road should we take to access Mabuasehube area then which would be the best route to the Trans Khalahari
Highway?
If we can't drive across to the Botswana side from the SA side, which would be the best route to take to access the
Mabuasehube Area once we leave the SA side ? We then wish to drive to CKGR then onto Moremi NP.
Apologies if our questions should be posted on another forum, it's all new to us.

Mkhombe

Re: Trip to Kgalagadi September 2018

Unread post by Mkhombe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Travelturtles

How exciting for you to be heading to KTP next September - hope you have fun planning your holiday and get the campsites you want!

I suggest that you enter the KTP at Twee Rivieren. You will need to do the border formalities there anyway as you will be exiting the park on the Botswana side.

You ask which route to take to get to the Botswana side of the park, and as you will be only one 4x4 on your own, then the Nossob to Bosobogolo route ('Boso Trail') will be the one that you'll want to take. It is a two way trail so take it steady and although it is hard work in places it is a great experience.

If you want to break the journey then try and book Matopi 1 or 2. You can reach the Mabua campsites in a day if you spend the previous night at Nossob, however nothing beats the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere that you get at Matopi, knowing that you're miles away from anyone especially if the other Matopi site is empty!

You will want to exit the park at Mabuasehube gate. I'm sure you know that you will need to do the Botswana bookings through DWNP.

Even though you have a rooftop tent, I highly recommend that you try to book a wilderness camp or two on the SA side of the park. You won't regret it!

Hope this helps and you have a great holiday!

barryels

Re: Trip to Kgalagadi September 2018

Unread post by barryels » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 pm

travelturtles wrote:Hello,
We're new to the forum with many questions on KTP.
We're planning on visiting KTP in September 2018, this will be our first visit and looking forward to it.
We will be driving a rented 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser Bushcamper, this will be our third trip Southern Africa.
We hope to be able to book campsites this October and will be happy with what ever is available to us even
though we do have preferences. Are there any recommendations on which way to travel through the park.
Our main question is which route to take as we wish to visit both the South African and Botswana side of the park and
we will be only one 4x4 on our own.
If we enter at Two Rivers and spend a week in the SA part of the park will it be possible for us to then drive across
to Mabuasehube Area and across to the Trans Khalahari Highway. If this is possible where would we exit the park,
which road should we take to access Mabuasehube area then which would be the best route to the Trans Khalahari
Highway?
If we can't drive across to the Botswana side from the SA side, which would be the best route to take to access the
Mabuasehube Area once we leave the SA side ? We then wish to drive to CKGR then onto Moremi NP.
Apologies if our questions should be posted on another forum, it's all new to us.

Dear travelturtles,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

Mkhombe already gave you good advise that I also recommend :thumbs_up: .

For easy reference I am posting two maps for you to give you a better idea of:

1. The layout of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier park that includes the Botswana side that forms part of KTP; and
2. Part of a map that shows you the route from the Mabuasehube border post to the Trans Kalahari Highway.

Just click on the attachments to enlarge the maps.

full_parkmap08.jpg

Mabuasehube to Trans Kalahari Highway.PNG

It is never easy to recommend where to stay during your visit to a park, but I would suggest that you start at Twee Rivieren (2 nights), then Mata Mata (2 nights) and next to Polentswa (2 nights) with your last night at Nossob to be able to drive from there to Matopi 1 or 2 before you leave the park through the Mabuasehube border post to the Trans Kalahari Highway. It would also be feasible to stay at Mabuasehube for a night or two before leaving for CKGR then onto Moremi NP.

Just a reminder that you will have to book through DWNP for the Polentswa, Matopi and Mabuasehube camps and that you will have to finalise your border control paperwork at the Botswana offices at Twee Rivieren

I also wish to suggest that you read through the forum topics HERE and HERE for further information.

Enjoy the planning and I hope the above info will help :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Return to “Arid Parks”