Skip to Content

Namibian Border Crossing

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
barryels

Re: Namibian Border Crossing

Unread post by barryels » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:36 pm

JOHNLINDA wrote:I'm certain this question has been asked before and will get asked again, I've received conflicting advice. During our forthcoming visit we will spend a few nights at KTP and Mata-Mata. We would like to walk across the border to the farm stall where we believe there are some great "goodies" to buy. Please advise;

1. Can we walk across, we believe it is only +/-500 metres?
2. Do we need to do border clearance at Twee Rivieren?

Many thanks

Dear JOHNLINDA,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

To answer your questions, I need to know through which gates will you enter and leave the park?

Kind regards,
barryels
Always be humble and understanding.

JOHNLINDA

Unread post by JOHNLINDA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Oh sorry barryels, never thought to mention we are coming from Zimbabwe but enter via Upington through Twee Rivieren. We will also exit through Twee Rivieren. Thanks for the welcome :dance: :dance: :dance:

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Dear JOHNLINDA,

The immigration and custom rules are very clear when you enter and exit any country. If you enter the park through Twee Rivieren and want to cross the border into Namibia, you will have to go through the custom and immigration process as prescribed. This will have to be done at Twee Rivieren (there is no custom office at Mata Mata).

According to the immigration and custom rules, only visitors that entered and leave the park through Mata Mata will be able to visit the stall.

Regards,
barryels

NadiaL
Guru
Guru

Unread post by NadiaL » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Dear valued stakeholders,

The rule states:

If you enter the park at Twee Rivieren and want to cross the border to visit the stall in Namibia, you will have to go through the custom and immigration process as prescribed. There is no custom office at Mata Mata therefore you will have to drive back to Twee Rivieren to get your passport stamped.

According to the immigration and custom rules, only visitors that entered and leave the park through Mata Mata will be able to visit the stall.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.

Regards,
Nadia

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Dear All,

As a fellow member and stakeholder of SANParks I personally want to ask every visitor who stays at Mata Mata to either comply with the Customs and excise and immigration Acts or to refrain from asking permission from border post personnel to cross the border illegally please :pray: .

Your actions put the border post personnel under pressure to commit an illegal act by giving one permission to cross the border illegally which will lead to such a member’s discharge and you as visitor will be charged with committing a crime by crossing the border without compliance to the Acts above when founded out.

I just hope that we as visitors will not be that selfish to put border personnel’s jobs and futures at risk to satisfy our curiosity :pray: .

Please also remember that border posts at Kgalagadi does not fall within the ambit of responsibilities of SANParks.

Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Kind regards,
barryels

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi John Linda,
I posted our experience but it went into cyberspace and I could only find the next page which seems to discourage this by warning of dire consequences!
I had followed the topics around this subject on the forums & we decided to wander up to the border posts and have a polite and friendly chat to the officials about the possibility of visiting the farm stall.
This was in March and they were all relaxed about it. We had considered immigration at Twee R and a short drive in Namibia, but did not have vehicle log book with us!
It seems things have become more formal and I think with multi national visitors it is more complicated.

dukla2000

Unread post by dukla2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 pm

barryels wrote:... refrain from asking permission from border post personnel to cross the border illegally ...
Hi barryels (& NadiaL) - I guess something has triggered an enforcement of (longstanding) rules recently and advice to stick to the rules is fine by me. My question is what is possible (rather than focussing on what is NOT possible)?
barryels wrote:According to the immigration and custom rules, only visitors that entered and leave the park through Mata Mata will be able to visit the stall.
This is the part that is murky :shock:

OK - so in our specific case: visiting from UK on UK passports in hire car from Jhb. Entering TR 15 Nov, should have our tent pitched in Mata Mata 21, 22 & 23 Nov. In order to exit the park at Mata Mata we have to complete immigration & customs at TR - is there a specific process for walkers who only want minutes in Namibia or is it the same as if we were never re-entering RSA at Mata Mata again?

My assumptions (which could be VERY wrong :D so corrections/clarifications actively sought!) are that on 15 Nov we go across to RSA immigration & customs at TR and request an exit at Mata Mata say for 22 Nov. As well as a re-entry for the same day. On 22 Nov we exit RSA at Mata Mata, go across to Namibian immigration/customs to formally enter Namibia. Go across to Sitzas, back to Namibian immigration/customs to formally exit Namibia then back in the gate. Next time at TR tie up any loose ends with RSA immigration/customs.

It is not that we have a compelling need to get to Sitzas this trip, but it would be nice to have the option and nice to know how to do it right.
Twee Rivieren 15, 16 & 25 Nov 2017
Nossob 17-20 Nov 2017
Mata Mata 21-24 Nov 2017
KNP: November 2016

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am

dukla2000 wrote:
barryels wrote:... refrain from asking permission from border post personnel to cross the border illegally ...
Hi barryels (& NadiaL) - I guess something has triggered an enforcement of (longstanding) rules recently and advice to stick to the rules is fine by me. My question is what is possible (rather than focussing on what is NOT possible)?

Dear dukla2000,

I think it is quite clear from the CUSTOMS AND EXCISE ACT
(ACT NO 91 OF 1964)
as well as the immigration Act, Act 13 of 2002 what is possible to enter and leave South Africa.

The procedure when you wish to cross the border at Mata Mata into Namibia when you have entered via South Africa/Botswana is as indicated in NadiaL's post due to the fact that there are no SA custom office at Mata Mata.

barryels wrote:According to the immigration and custom rules, only visitors that entered and leave the park through Mata Mata will be able to visit the stall.
This is the part that is murky :shock:

OK - so in our specific case: visiting from UK on UK passports in hire car from Jhb. Entering TR 15 Nov, should have our tent pitched in Mata Mata 21, 22 & 23 Nov. In order to exit the park at Mata Mata we have to complete immigration & customs at TR - is there a specific process for walkers who only want minutes in Namibia or is it the same as if we were never re-entering RSA at Mata Mata again?

No,there is no process for walkers or drivers to enter Namibia for a few minutes other than to go through the normal custom and immigration process.

Just for clarity sake, Kgalagadi is a transfrontier park which means that when you enter and exit the park through the same gate via Namibia, Botswana or SA you have actually never left these countries, therefore the statement that visitors who entered the park through Mata Mata and will leave the park through Mata Mata will be able to visit the stall without having to go through customs and immigration.

My assumptions (which could be VERY wrong :D so corrections/clarifications actively sought!) are that on 15 Nov we go across to RSA immigration & customs at TR and request an exit at Mata Mata say for 22 Nov. As well as a re-entry for the same day. On 22 Nov we exit RSA at Mata Mata, go across to Namibian immigration/customs to formally enter Namibia. Go across to Sitzas, back to Namibian immigration/customs to formally exit Namibia then back in the gate. Next time at TR tie up any loose ends with RSA immigration/customs.

It is not that we have a compelling need to get to Sitzas this trip, but it would be nice to have the option and nice to know how to do it right.

You are 100% correct with the process to be followed when you wish to cross the border at Mata Mata and then leave via Twee Rivieren (SA) in your specific case :thumbs_up: .

dukla2000

Unread post by dukla2000 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks. Will probably give it a shot and report back.
Nossob 17-20 Nov 2017
Mata Mata 21-24 Nov 2017

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 pm

dukla2000

If you do make use of immigration at TR and exit into Namibia a new rule will now apply, namely you are now a visitor from Namibia. Visitors from Namibia can enter and exit the park at MM without the need to visit TR. This means after returning from the farm stall with an entry in Namibia stamp passport you can visit the farm stall daily and only on the last day go through immigrations at Namibia to exit into SA again.

I agree the rules are very fuzzy, as certain visitors can come and go and others not. Just get your passport stamped at TR and become a visitor from Namibia by stamping it for entry and only a few days later for exiting.

I need to add that according to park rules you must stay for two days in the park if you entered at TR before you can cross the border at MM into Namibia. You can get your passport stamped at any time in TR as long as you have 2 night booking in the park. This means you can enter Namibia on day one of arrival at MM as long as you have stayed at another camp for 2 nights. After re-entry you don't have to drive the same day to TR either to get an entry stamp into SA and can stay for an unlimited time before exiting the park.

The 2 day rule will however apply again after you have entered Namibia and you want to exit. In total 4 days min in park, 2 days before entering into Namibia and 2 days after entering again to exit at TR.
Jan 2018: Next trip to KNP - Tamboti, Talamati, Maroela and Satara

dukla2000

Unread post by dukla2000 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:50 pm

OK - managed to walk across to the farm stall fine during our recent visit. In our experience none of the officials were particularly interested although (as noted above) this likely involves an interational border crossing and so you should be prepared accordingly.

IMHO the officials on the ground are perfectly sensible and pragmatic and things seem to work just fine. There is however always the risk it will change.

What has changed is the farmstall is now no longer close to the farm gate but is located on the verandah of the main farmhouse a further 200m or so away. Equally, IMHO, a complete waste of time: on the day of our visit no fresh fruit/veggies. More of a curio shop with frozen meat (large packs, probably >1Kg so no use to us), 1 kind of biltong & 1 kind of droewors. To be fair the customer in front of us (who put his head into Namibian immigration room while we were trying to show our passports and said "farm shop" before walking on) was there for the droewaros. The customer after us had driven from KTC and just marched straight across to the shop yelling "farm shop" while passing Namibian immigration building and had no obvious contact with anyone on the SA side. But did claim the stall meat was better than Mata Mata shop.
Nossob 17-20 Nov 2017
Mata Mata 21-24 Nov 2017

Return to “Arid Parks”