Skip to Content

Bird book advice needed

See what other forumites recommend you should read
User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Bird book advice

Unread post by Billy Goat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Hello,

Could someone please recommend a "pocket size" birding book that I could purchase.
We are off to Addo for 3 nights mid December.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:09 am

Hi everyone,
Please excuse my query as I have asked this question recently on a different forum.
(I am new to this whole on-line chatting thingy and everyday I am discovering "new" forums/ topics )

I am going to Addo for my first overnight stay in a wildlife reserve during mid-December, and I would like to buy a decent "pocket size" bird book for birds in the area or birds in general.

Many thanks
BG
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: In the heart of the Waterberg; Deep in Limpopo

Re: Bird book advise needed

Unread post by PNF » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:18 am

Hi Billy Goat

You should get a general bird book that you can use anywhere in SA as the chances of you getting hooked on ID'ing birds is very good and t is something that you can do at home!
You have 3 very good options in soft back guides - Roberts; Newman's and Sasol. Would suggest that you to a book shop and look at each one and decide which appeals to you (and your pocket!) best.

Enjoy!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Re: Bird book advise needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi PNF,

Thanks for the heads up.
I will pop into the local bookstore and take a look at the choices suggested.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Kyalami, South Africa.

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Billy Goat

I agree that the best are Roberts', Newman's or the Sasol book. As far as I know, they do not come in "pocket size" but you can buy a canvas or leather holder for them with a shoulder strap, so that you can easily walk with them.

Good luck with the birding - it becomes addictive.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

User avatar
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)
Posts: 13769
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Pretoria SA

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by hilda » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi Billy Goat,

I agree with what PNF and Hippotragus said. You will find a few references here: Index: Bookshelf under Birds/Raptors, but the best would be to visit bookshops and have a look at the different bird guides yourself, and decide which one would be best for you. (We have almost all, and it is still not enough!)

You can also win bird guides by participating in our Duckling and Bird ID Challenges here:

Birding school for ducklings. (On a weekly basis.)

and/or

Bird ID Challenge. (On a bi-weekly basis.)

Should you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask! This is the best forum of all you have tried so far, I'm sure! :dance: :dance:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:55 am

Hippotragus wrote:Hi Billy Goat

I agree that the best are Roberts', Newman's or the Sasol book. As far as I know, they do not come in "pocket size" but you can buy a canvas or leather holder for them with a shoulder strap, so that you can easily walk with them.

Good luck with the birding - it becomes addictive.


Hi Hippotragus,

I quite like your idea of a canvas/ leather holder, and I will ask my soon to be wife to sew a leather pouch that will hold both binoculars and book together.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:02 am

hilda wrote:Hi Billy Goat,

I agree with what PNF and Hippotragus said. You will find a few references here: Index: Bookshelf under Birds/Raptors, but the best would be to visit bookshops and have a look at the different bird guides yourself, and decide which one would be best for you. (We have almost all, and it is still not enough!)

You can also win bird guides by participating in our Duckling and Bird ID Challenges here:

Birding school for ducklings. (On a weekly basis.)

and/or

Bird ID Challenge. (On a bi-weekly basis.)

Should you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask! This is the best forum of all you have tried so far, I'm sure! :dance: :dance:


Hi Hilda,

I am constantly amazed at how the topics/ forums have endless articles and more topics/ tales within themselves.
I have "book marked" a few pages to come back and read when I have more time.

Thank you for all the links sent.
When I have finally started off my bird book collection, I will let you & the others know of my choice.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:52 pm
Location: My business...

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Guinea Pig » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 am

We always fly to OR Thambo and collect all our birdguides from my parents' place before we leave for wherever we're going. This time we flew into Cape Town. Buying a new set of books was out of the question. We bought the Roberts Multimedia Birds of SA and will never take a birdguide in book form with us again. You're going to Addo and want to know what birds you can expect to find? Open Birding sites, find Addo, birdlist ready. I can't even begin to tell you how handy this app is. It's available offline - no internet needed. We used it on DuQues' tablet. Well worth the money spent on it.

Just our 2c' worth.
Plotting a stay at Tamboti and Croc Bridge in 2016...

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Guinea Pig wrote:We always fly to OR Thambo and collect all our birdguides from my parents' place before we leave for wherever we're going. This time we flew into Cape Town. Buying a new set of books was out of the question. We bought the Roberts Multimedia Birds of SA and will never take a birdguide in book form with us again. You're going to Addo and want to know what birds you can expect to find? Open Birding sites, find Addo, birdlist ready. I can't even begin to tell you how handy this app is. It's available offline - no internet needed. We used it on DuQues' tablet. Well worth the money spent on it.

Just our 2c' worth.


Hi Guinea Pig,

Technology is amazing today, and the app you mentioned certainly appears to be worth every cent.
Despite the modern world and all these wonderful inventions, I do prefer to page a book and unfold a map or chart.

The other thing that I could quite happily ditch is my cell phone. Usually on weekends I switch it off, and when on holiday it lies in a drawer unseen and it is pure bliss....
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
Billy Goat
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Durban

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by Billy Goat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi Hilda, PNF, Hippotragus & Guinea Pig............

Treated myself to a pair of books, both by Sasol.
The first is a colour coded "300 Easy to see birds in Southern Africa, and the 2nd also a Sasol book edited by Ian Sinclair - Pocket Guide/ Birds of Southern Africa.

The pocket guide is exactly that. It could fit quite comfortably in the back pocket of a pair of jeans and is about the size of a slab of chocolate.
It has over 500 birds listed in it.

Very very happy with my purchase.
Thanks for all your advice.

BG
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

User avatar
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)
Posts: 13769
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Pretoria SA

Re: Bird book advice needed

Unread post by hilda » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:53 am

Well done Billy Goat! That's a good start! Enjoy! :clap: :clap:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela


Return to “Bookshelf”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Webcam Highlights

Addo
Submitted by Mrs. S.K.L.Gauntlett at 16:55:19
orpen
Submitted by inawe at 23:39:09
satara
Submitted by vacation at 12:22:54
nossob
Submitted by Anonymous at 19:07:24