Skip to Content

Where would you like to be right now?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Where would you like to be right now?

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:41 am

Grantmissy wrote::) :thumbs_up: Nice lion hunt.

More coming GM,

Tessa G wrote:Yes I think a small tipple of patriotic juice before bed will sort out all the fears of the loo at Tamboti at night. :big_eyes: :lol: Thanks for saving that extra bit for me Carol :D

Tessa, patriotic juice can do wonders for many conditions... sadly, it can also cause a few. :roll: Never rehydrate on beer.

Mizzbee, Carol... is the bottle empty all ready? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Talking of Lion hunting, my daughter and I went Lion hunting many years ago. Someone had lent us a camera with a big lens and I really wanted to shoot something.

We actually had a good trip and we were due to leave from Pretorius Kop for home that morning. :( You know the feeling. :cry:

I suggested we go for a quick ride on the Voortrekker road before packing up and returning home.

We saw lots of nothing. Not even the birds would oblige.

It was getting late and I realised that we had to be turning back.

"Just go over the next rise" I suggested, "and then we must go back."

This is what came over the next rise.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Lots and lots of Lions to shoot.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:02 am

:D I love this thread :clap: :clap: :clap:. Thank you to all the participants 8)
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Carol g » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 am

MM, shows you it's worthwhile going over just one more rise :dance:

Well, you've showed us lots more Lions, let's celebrate with some of that patriotic juice, I brought a few more bottles alone on the hunt :dance: :dance:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Lovely sighting MM!! I was only reading this TR of yours last night, when you had this sighting with your daughter.

Whenever there is a rise in the road, one always feels 'lets just go to the top of that hill, then we will turn back....well maybe just one more.......or one more......' :roll:

:lol: :lol: How many bottles of patriotic juice have you got stashed in that cooler box of yours Carol? :lol:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: The Different Faces of Cape Point
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Award: Video of the Year (2014)
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2014)
Award: Forumite of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 am

Back on board MM. :) .... :big_eyes: What a sighting along the Voortrekker road :clap: :clap:

We have found this road to be either extra productive or very quiet. :hmz: ...but soo well worth the drive. :thumbs_up:
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 am

Tessa G wrote:Lovely sighting MM!! I was only reading this TR of yours last night, when you had this sighting with your daughter.

Whenever there is a rise in the road, one always feels 'lets just go to the top of that hill, then we will turn back....well maybe just one more.......or one more......' :roll:

:lol: :lol: How many bottles of patriotic juice have you got stashed in that cooler box of yours Carol? :lol:

Maybe this is Carols fault and the stashed patriot juice, but I just wanted to be in bed yesterday. My head was not co-operating with the rest of me. :( (I think it was allergy related) :hmz:

Carol, put a lock on it. :wink:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:Back on board MM. :) .... :big_eyes: What a sighting along the Voortrekker road :clap: :clap:

We have found this road to be either extra productive or very quiet. :hmz: ...but soo well worth the drive. :thumbs_up:

I agree, Trrp, it has been my experience that it is feast or starve.

GM, so pleased you like this thread, as you are still the designate driver.

My daughter and I could hardly believe our luck. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

There were two cars following the pride and they soon left to continue their journey. There we were, all alone with the big cats.

They decided that they had walked enough and flopped down in the middle of the road playing and bonding in all kinds of ways.

My daughter was holding the camera with the big lens and she just aimed and fired.

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 am

MM what a lovely sighting of the lions, I'm so enjoying this lion hunt with you, you seem to know exactly where they are hiding :dance:
Sorry my patriotic juice has caused your head to go a bit otherwise :doh: here have a big sip, I'm sure it will get you going again :lol:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 am

Great lion sightings :clap: :clap: :clap: . I always enjoy driving the Voortrekker road as it is loaded with historical Kruger atmosphere.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by mizzbee » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:They decided that they had walked enough and flopped down in the middle of the road playing and bonding in all kinds of ways.

Awesome MM :clap: . What I would do to see something like this.

Meandering Mouse wrote:Never rehydrate on beer
I think there is a story to be told here. :wink:

Grantmissy wrote: I always enjoy driving the Voortrekker road as it is loaded with historical Kruger atmosphere.

The last few years “historical Kruger atmosphere” is all that I have found on this road. A few months back I couldn’t even find this sign.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Such beautiful sightings MM. :clap:

Its a Friday evening and just listen to those beautiful sounds as the bush holds its breath, before another day ends and the night begins.

Looking forward to more beautiful sightings MM. You really do know the spots to find them.

Hope you feeling better tomorrow morning and that patriotic juice headache has left you. Maybe tomorrow we will just take iced water with us :D and a few nibbles.

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Award: Video of the Year (2014)
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2014)
Award: Forumite of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:01 am

Thank you MM, Mizzbee for the great photos :clap: :clap:

This thread is wonderful :thumbs_up: ...Being able to visit our Parks in this way...Not one day is the same, always something unusual, unexpected and exciting to see...just like being there. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to todays outing !!! :dance:
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:49 am

Mizzbee, now that sign brings back memories. 8) As for rehydrating on beer... :lol: :lol: :lol: My Aussie friends used to call me a ''one pot screamer''. One pot should be my absolute limit... but :roll:

Tessa and Carol, Patriot juice is usually not my weakness, as I do not have a sweet tooth. I am so enjoying the company though that I have forgotten all Tim Noakes's lessons. :wink:

Grantmissy wrote:Great lion sightings :clap: :clap: :clap: . I always enjoy driving the Voortrekker road as it is loaded with historical Kruger atmosphere.

Voortrekker road and the Stevenson Hamilton Memorial are for me the two most atmospheric places... oh yes and also Rabelais Hut.

Trrp, absolutely, no day is the same. :thumbs_up: I have often found that some of my most spectacular sightings have followed a period of nothing.

This seemed to be a fairly young pride, well bonded. We had the sighting to ourselves for quite some time and then two cars appeared over the horizon. One young male took particular interest in one of the new arrivals. I wish I could see the driver's face.

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Looks like they are deep in conversation. :D I bet he closed his window in a hurry.

Dave was taking photos of a pride of lion, on a trip to KNP years ago, through his open drivers window and the next minute a male lion walked passed from behind our car. :big_eyes: A terrible fright and a lesson learned, keep your eyes peeled to what is around you. We laugh about it these days, but it was not funny at the time.

A sweet tooth is my downfall unfortunately MM, so I will be on my best behaviour on todays trip and just stick to my chilled water. :)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:17 am

Tessa, :lol: :lol: :lol: never take anything for granted in the bush...

and talking of water... my two cups of morning coffee were now talking to me. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

This was not a good time to be needing the looh.

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 am

What a beauty :clap:

Early morning coffee can play havoc MM, and it always happens at these sort of sightings. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Looking forward to what the day has in store for us all. :dance:

Return to “Chit-Chat”