Skip to Content

Which are your top 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 favourite Kruger National Park books of All-time?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Which are your top 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 favourite Kruger National Park books of All-time?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Mine are:

1) “ Neem uit die verlede” - Dr U de V Pienaar (“A Cameo from the Past” is the English version)
The history of the Kruger National Park is fascinating to me.

2) A South African Eden, by James Stevenson-Hamilton
A all-time classic book regarding the Kruger National Park.

3) Jock of the Bushveld by Sir Percy Fitzpatrick

Adventures a plenty in the Kruger National Park with baboons, leopards, crocodiles, heroes and villains and more.

4) “Veldgids Tot Die Bome Van Die Nasionale Krugerwildtuin” - Piet Van Wyk

A Field guide to The Trees of the Kruger National Park
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Which are your top 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 favourite Kruger National Park books of All-time?

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I haven't read many books about Kruger, but I would recommend 101 Kruger Tales to anyone - wonderful anecdotes of peoples experiences - good ones and not so good ones.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Which are your top 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 favourite Kruger National Park books of All-time?

Unread post by salamanda » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 pm

This is a more difficult question than it seems :shock: . Maybe because I haven't read enough books about Kruger. I find it difficult to rank the ones I have read because they are all so very different and offer different kinds of value but here goes:

1. Mahlangeni - Kobie Kruger
2. A Game Ranger remembers - Bruce Bryden
3. Roots in African Soil - Gert Erasmus
4. Shaping Kruger - Mitch Reardon
5. 101 Kruger Tales

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Nice question GM...
For me I would probably choose :

101 Kruger Tales
A Game Ranger Remembers - Bruce Bryden
All Things Wild and Wonderful - Kobie Kruger
Mahlangeni - Kobie Kruger
Your Guide to the Kruger National Park - Frans Rautenbach
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 pm

1) All the reference books. Birds, mammals, trees, reptiles and insects in that order.
2) The Kruger - A Supreme African Wilderness by Bruce Aiken.
3) Die Kruger Wildtuin in Woord en Beeld by Paynter and Nussey.
4) A Game Ranger Remembers by Bruce Bryden.
5) Die Veldwgters Vertel by Jan Rodriques.
6) 101 Kruger tales
7) Travel Tales by various SANParks Forumites.
8) Jock of the Bushveld.

...sorry, I have got eight.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm

"A game ranger remembers" is on my list to buy. Maybe I should do so sooner rather than later

Rooies, I agree that travel,tales makes for excellent reading!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 am

Karin "A game ranger remembers" is a brilliant book and well worth adding to your book collection in my opinion. Salamanda and Mischief Mahlangeni remains a favourite of many, with good reason :)

I would like to add a 5th one to my list: Kruger Portrait of a National Park by David Paynter with Wilf Nussey. This book was published in 1986. Rooies I was wondering whether it is the same book on your list 3) "Die Kruger Wildtuin in Woord en Beeld by Paynter and Nussey?" I was not aware that this book was translated in the Afrikaans language if it is the same book.

The Kruger National Park has inspired many authors and writers. Many of the books written about the Kruger National Park are now Africana or very rare or are collectors items. Some of them are being preserved in the Stevenson-Hamilton Library in Skukuza. May they always be well looked after.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

Karin.....definitely do the sooner,a very good read.
GM and Rooies..thank you,more to go and hunt down and Rooies exceptional choice with the Travel Tales....how much more up close and personal than sharing Forum Family Mites experiences in a Sanparks :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

Lovely thread GM. :thumbs_up:

I have a number of well read books that I have found useful, and/or entertaining.

My Prime Origins guides to "Exploring Kruger and Birding in Kruger" are so well used that they are falling apart. I still enjoy them immensely, even though some facts are a little out of date.

Interestingly, the co author of "Exploring Kruger", Prof Lee R Berger, is the man behind the discovery of 'Homo Naledi' in the Cradle of Humankind.

For reference and insight, I like "Bruce Brydon', "A Game Ranger Remembers" Many people are concerned about the hippo culling and the meat going to feed folk in the area. The book demonstrates that this has been a practice for many years. There is nothing sinister and new.

I also like "James Stevenson Hamilton's", "South Africa Eden". It has, without a doubt, been the best Kruger related book that I have ever read. It is also affirming that Kruger is pure miracle in it's birth. The creative force that brought this into being will never forsake this special place.

Not directly Kruger, but two books that give wonderful insight into the history of the area and early times is "TV Bulpin", "lost trails of the Lowveld". He is surprisingly easy to read, as he brings the personalities to the fore.

The other, more academic book is "Jane Carruthers", "Wildlife and Warfare, The life of James Stevenson Hamilton". A wonderful book, well researched. She makes extensive use of his diaries.

For pure entertainment give me Kobie Kruger. I cannot tell you how often I read her books when the homesickness gets too strong.

I have also read "Harry Wolhuter", "Memories of a game ranger". His first hand account of his encounter with the lions is absolutely chilling. I also love bits where he talks of the regeneration of Kruger. My favorite is when he see moving rocks in the Olifants River, only to realize that the elephants have returned. :dance: :dance: :dance:

A book that can only be found in the Kruger shops is "Field Guide to the historical sites in Kruger" by Ron Hopkins. What a little gem. It is well researched and really entertaining. I do recommend it highly.

Pieter Meiring, an Afrikaans academic later involved in the truth and reconciliation commission wrote a lovely book on Kruger. It is long out of print, but in it he writes of the very dramatic release of he first rhino in Kruger. Unfortunately I cannot find it right now. :redface: :redface:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:

Pieter Meiring, an Afrikaans academic later involved in the truth and reconciliation commission wrote a lovely book on Kruger. It is long out of print, but in it he writes of the very dramatic release of he first rhino in Kruger. Unfortunately I cannot find it right now. :redface: :redface:

Is it a book called Die Wildtuin is hul Woning ( The National Park is their Home) MM? I found it on a second-hand booksellers page. (Unfortunately in the States).

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am

It is quite possibly the translation that I have. A very interesting read. It is a product of the time and so much has changed. I do, however, think that it gives such insight into the Kruger of the sixties and seventies.

This is many years down the line. How times have changed.

https://www.amazon.com/Chronicle-Truth- ... 162564714X

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 am

I see that it is Piet Meiring, not Pieter. Another fellow altogether.

I found my book and indeed it is a translation of "Die Wildtuin is hul Woning"

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:38 am

I see he wrote another book on KNP. There are also copies of "Kruger Park Saga" available.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=31&t=96983

I now know why I got confused. Pieter Meiring has written under Piet Meiring and Pieter Meiring. :hmz: I wonder if it is the same person.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 am

Um - yes, I can see the confusion, but don't know if they are the same person. I suspect not, because I found a list of different books under Pieter, including the one on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Or maybe he wrote under two different names for a reason.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Salamanda and MM I do not know whether it is the same person or not but I have a third edition copy of the book Die Wildtuin is Hul Woning which was printed in 1982. The first edition was printed in 1976. He also wrote the book Agter die Skerms in die Wildtuin (Behind the scenes in the Kruger Park?). Interesting is the cycles of drought and good rain fall seasons that occur in the Kruger National Park. In chapter 13 of the book Water vloei in die Paradys (Water flows in the Paradise) it is written (translated) that in October 1964 that the drought was speedily wringing all life from the Kruger Park. It is written in the book that in the 1963/64 rainfall year only 17,2 mm rain fell in Punda Maria, 15,8mm in Shingwedzi and 25,5 mm in Letaba.

Return to “Chit-Chat”